Archinect
anchor

Is Technologist a profession for me?

qalp

Hello,

I'm currently studying in an Architectural Technologist program at one of the best schools in my country. However I've become burnt out and  questioning whether the profession is for me. Unless mistaken, I've concluded a Technician and Technologist's role is almost similar to a building inspector in a firm, sitting at a computer drawing up floor plans, sill details, etc. that must conform and meet building code laws/regulations (and what senior staff want) vs. freely designing anything. Hand drawing & visual rendering are my strengths, but I'm weak at advanced math, and don't function well with group work (also have HFA). I'm also 39. Everyone else in my program is obviously younger, and I would be competing with them for the same job when graduating. But I've already invested 2 years studying.

Is Architectural Technologist a feasible career for me?

Thank you for reading.

May 12, 21 2:16 pm
monosierra

That seems like an odd distinction. To my understanding - and this may differ vastly between countries and even within firms - the technologist would be higher up the value chain as he/she would develop computational tools (components, scripts, plugins) and workflows while the technician implements and uses these tools. Of course, both could be involved in the other's work but the general boundary is between that of developer and user. Technician could also refer to technical experts in detailing etc, which you're describing.

May 12, 21 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I think he's clearly indicating the latter. Not a common term for someone in the profession in the US anyway.

May 12, 21 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

"sitting at a computer drawing up floor plans, sill details, etc. that must conform and meet building code laws/regulations"

You have described what literally 90% of the "doing" part of architecture is. If you don't like that kind of work, you should probably get out of the field. 

The ability to render or draw does not equate to design, and that is a relatively small part of the profession. If you want to become a professional renderer, find a render company, or get in at a big firm who has specialized visualization people. You wont be "freely designing anything" though, you'll be rendering.  

You don't have to be good at math, if you can get though the math in school you're overqualified for the profession. 

Not liking group work is a big problem as well, it's a collaborative profession. Maybe you can find your own way to make it work... 

Good luck!

May 12, 21 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Technologists in my area are 99% production staff.  They are responsible for a decent chunk of the content of construction drawings and or specifications with only mild involvement, if any, in the design process outside of the occasional rendering depending on their 3D skills.

Where are you located?

May 12, 21 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I am an senior architectural technologist in my office and I noticed a big red flag in your post. If you cannot working well in groups than your probably going to have issues.  A good chunk of my job is coordinating with consultants and general contractors, working together to problem solve and provide the best solutions for our clients.  While you may not design the overall building shape and size, technologist have a lot of input into how a project is finalized into reality.  At my old firm I was always making finishing material selections, deciding brick colours, and all sorts of other decisions that had to be made.  At my current office I actually do most of the designing of the buildings and projects assigned to me. Its rare to be giving the opportunities that I have, but if you work hard and find a Principal of a firm that trust you than you can grow as a designer.

May 13, 21 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: