Archinect
anchor

Residential stair question

mtdew

I am replacing a staircase for a residence with a pre-fab floating staircase. I am restricted in the opening for the headroom. The only solution is to have the stairs with a 8.75 inch treads from nosing to nosing. I know that the IBC is 10 inch min. The existing stairs thats being replaced that 8.5 inch treads. Would this pass inspection? 

May 2, 21 10:51 pm
natematt

Classic answer: Hire an architect.
Alternate Answer: Hire a code consultant
Alternate Answer 2: You're constructing a new stair... I think you know the answer, though you can look at your applicable residential and existing building codes to double check... 

May 3, 21 1:39 am  · 
1  · 

Sorry mtdew but you're screwed unless you can get an exception from your building department.  

Have you considered installing an alternating tread stair?  That could help with you issues.  Without seeing the existing conditions I couldn't say for certain. 

Good luck. 

May 3, 21 10:33 am  · 
 · 
proto

ask your local bldg dept

ours addresses exactly what geometry is grandfathered & what is not & how to address gray areas

May 3, 21 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
mtdew

thanks for the feedback. I decided to take a safe route and make modifications to get the required headroom. Had to loose a linen closet and pushed a bathroom over which makes two closets shorter. Explained it to the  owners today and surprisingly they took it pretty easy.   Contractor will be pissed tomorrow when I send him the sketch to reframe. At least I'll be able to sleep well tonight. 

May 3, 21 8:18 pm  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

Pissed off contractor =(?)= Happy Architect.... hmmmmm.... okay.

May 3, 21 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
mtdew

learned something new. New Jersey residential code requires min. 9 inch deep treads instead of the typical10 inch. This was a big help and will let the stairs fit within the tight space.

Jun 1, 21 4:52 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: