Archinect
anchor

Maydan Architects

Volunteer

Long story in the Wall Street Journal about a reporter who moved to California and was unhappy with the cramped Tudor house she and her husband had. She was working with a local architect on a modern California home when the architect died. She finished the drawings herself and got the home built. Since then she as expanded and is designing other homes. She has hired an architect with a civil engineering degree to do the detail work, as well as an unlicensed female landscape architect and female project manager. These are multi-million dollar homes near Palo Alto. Her firm has received several awards. What a hoot. maydanarchitects.com

Apr 30, 21 9:33 am

Nice work!

I wonder how the credit for the projects works though.  Where I've practiced the licensed architect gets the credit and ownership of any project design the requires an architects stamp.  Basically if the architect leaves the firm only they can use the images and project experience for marketing purposes.  

Not sure how it works in California though.  

Apr 30, 21 10:06 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Some of the hotshot young design firms reaping awards and commissions all over the country are unlicensed too. They work with a licensed architect to stamp drawings on smaller projects or serve as design architects when collaborating with larger AORs. They are hired for their style rather than ability to see a project to completion. Little wonder why designers from other fields see it fit to design buildings too - - If your job is to pick forms and style a building, why bother to get tangled up in CD/CA.

Apr 30, 21 10:47 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Someone got it built, and it looks leagues better than what plenty of firms put out, so kudos to them

Apr 30, 21 11:14 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

The Old Man and the CDs 

Apr 30, 21 11:31 am  · 
3  · 
tduds

Anyway, interesting story. The houses seem well executed also. Great for her!

Apr 30, 21 11:34 am  · 
 · 

The work does seem to be very well done. I think this is great!

Apr 30, 21 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If anyone has a problem with this go compete and win the work. This is fine. 

Apr 30, 21 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sounds much more efficient than going to school for 5-7 years, interning in a firm for 4-7 years, and then taking a multipart exam!

Apr 30, 21 4:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sooo wait, she has an architect do the work for her? What are we looking at here?

Apr 30, 21 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The RA must have responsible control. It's the bog standard architecture office, only it's the boss who doesn't have the license. I've designed plenty of stuff while unlicensed. Why can't she?

Apr 30, 21 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I said it is more efficient than going to school for 5-7 years... etc. I didn't say she can't do what she does.

Apr 30, 21 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

My response was more of an attempt to inform your questions than anything. Was not meaning to argue.

Apr 30, 21 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: