Archinect
anchor

camper van fitouts

RValu100

Watching the stars of Outlander cruise around Scotland in a fitted-out "caravan" has me thinking about how hard it is to put in a wood floor and nice details in your basic van/bus. Is there anything you have to do differently if you were going to lay a wood floor in a vehicle? What about light fixtures? I imagine you would need to do it something like a boat, with an interior wood frame.

Apr 28, 21 10:53 am
mightyaa

Weight and how it is attached would be primary concern. I've been following some overlanding builds. So one of the first questions is why you want a wood floor? If it's comfort, I'd probably steer towards a softish coating system so I also get some insulation/acoustic value. 

Tossing ideas since I've never done it: Maybe make your own panel using 1/4 or 3/16 aircraft plywood, a layer of 1/2 or 3/4" rigid and top with architectural plywood (and finish the plywood). Use a slip sheet or acoustic matting between vehicle floor as your floor to help limit squeaks. Looking at boat construction is a good idea for tons of space saver tips, but keep in mind vehicles also tend to twist, etc. so allowing for movement is pretty important. An issue I see all the time with those high end builds is adding a ton of wood; that results in overloaded suspensions, poor gas mileage and underpowered vehicles that are slow and top heavy. I've always though ACM panels, bent aluminum, fiberglass (or carbon fiber), or even stretched canvas/plastics instead of hardwood type cabinets would save a ton of weight. Watch custom vehicle body or motorcycle vids and how they make these shapes... cool stuff. 

I've also wondered about safety with all that crap launching if you get in a wreck or rollover.

Apr 28, 21 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

It's a signifier, not a smart choice. It looks good, makes you feel good, and makes people go "ooooh." Like mightyaa said, there are much better floors out there that would do the job better, they just generally don't look like what we expect from a "house" or "bedroom."

Apr 28, 21 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

I'd recommend the Top Gear Campervan Challenge as precedent research. 

Apr 28, 21 1:26 pm  · 
8  · 
quasi-arch

Some of those old episodes were so good!

Apr 29, 21 8:14 am  · 
 · 
James Bragg

And I thought the thread's title was the name of a Dutch guy.

Apr 28, 21 1:28 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

The Duke of Fitouts

Apr 29, 21 11:02 am  · 
1  · 
whistler

I watched Nomadland last night...( personally I don't recommend as you will never get back that 2 hrs in your life ) However it does show one end of the outlander/ vagabond lifestyle ... the non sexy Sprinter Van version. IE shit box Dodge van home conversion type.

Apr 28, 21 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Or... retro shag wagon

Apr 28, 21 7:02 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: