Archinect
anchor

Does it matter who writes the Letter of Recommendation for Grad school?

starkkitect

Just curious.. when it comes to applying for good Grad Schools for Architecture (M.Arch2) which professor is the best go-to for your letter of recommendation?

A professor who you are close to and is friendly but is not exactly one of the top people of the faculty? 

Or a professor who you've worked with before and is in a pretty high position in the department but could be too honest (meaning writing your disadvantages as well in the letter) in writing letters and could stab you in the back?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if the professor's faculty position matters a lot.

Also does it matter which school the professor went to? Wondering if it's necessary to look for (for example) Yale grad professors for Yale applications and also look for Columbia grad professors for Columbia applications.

Apr 25, 21 1:04 pm
Non Sequitur

Ask the prof who best knows your strengths and who will write you the better letter.  The context of the letter is far more important than the reputation of it's author.

Apr 25, 21 1:34 pm  · 
2  · 
nastronaut

the beauty of the situation is that there are multiple (usually 3). If 3 is the case, have 2 that know you extremely well, and maybe one that's connected to the place you're applying (Columbia person for Columbia app, etc.,) 

Apr 25, 21 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
starkkitect

but then is it necessary to get a professor from each of the school you're applying for? because then I'd have to get at least 5 different professors to help me

Apr 27, 21 1:21 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Don't worry so much about connections-- unless you're blessed with a big network of willing faculty. Whom you want are folks willing (even happy) to detail your talents and abilities in a few paragraphs because they want to help you succeed. The most useful recommendations are those written by qualified, credentialed (but not necessarily famous) people who know you and can tell about you. That is what most admissions committees are looking for, in my experience. Now, if you know a Famous Name willing to write for you, great; sign 'em up to help.

Apr 27, 21 2:45 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

Good points above. Also, make sure you contact the professors well in advance and not the last minute. You want to give them a long time frame to write the letter at their convenience, as senior academics are superbusy and reference letters are low on their priority list. Finally, make sure you are really respectful in requesting this and if it is possible try to share with them your motivation and vision for the future to give them a framework to work on. In any case, references matter a lot in grad school applications, so try to get the very best letters you can and push for the best school you can get into. Good luck. 

Apr 25, 21 3:28 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Any professor who would sabotage your advancement due to some inflated sense of honesty or whatever is an asshole who evidently doesn't believe that the point of academia is to help one advance, not to hinder. At worst they should stick to your strengths when writing these letters. After all, they're letters of recommendation, not letters of critical honesty. If they don't feel you're worth recommending, they should refuse to write the letter.

Apr 25, 21 3:38 pm  · 
2  · 
bowling_ball

I wrote one of my own. I made arrangements with a former Prof to meet him at his office and pick up the reference letter he'd promised me. It turned out that instead he just printed off a blank piece of letterhead, signed it, and then gave it to me. Said "you write it. Good luck." Hahaha

Apr 25, 21 4:17 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

That's 50% awesome, 50% homework.

Apr 25, 21 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It definitely was. I forgot about that story, too

Apr 25, 21 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Separate from 'whom is best to ask' is the importance of courtesy around the process, as others have mentioned above.  Your initial request email should clearly and concisely provide all the basic information needed by the recommender:

Following a brief greeting that wishes them well, state:

1. Who you are (in case it's been a while), what course(s) you took with them, the semester/time period, and maybe a sentence on your project/work to jog the memory.  (Unless you were close, even the good students tend to fade in the memory after a semester or two; help them with this.)
  2. The letter deadline; the more lead time, the better.  (At least a month is desirable; sometimes it's less, of course.  The closer the deadline, the less likely the help.)
  3. What the recommendation is for.  (Commonly, it's for grad school admission; but if it's for a fellowship or grant, say so.)
  4. A brief, humble thanks for considering the request, and offer of more information if needed.

Good luck!

Apr 25, 21 5:23 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Also, if they agree, continue to make the process as easy for them as you can. For example, what format is required? Hard copy via mail? PDF upload to web platform? Something else? Let 'em know that, plus the proper address and relevant information that should go into the letter. 

You can send a link to the program for their general information, but DO NOT ask them to find the deadline, address, program name, etcetera for themselves. Bad manners, bad strategy, bad letter (if one at all).

And if there's a waiver form you're including, ALWAYS waive your right to see your LORs. Otherwise your recommender will be hesitant to write candidly, and the committee will be suspicious of your letters' honesty.

Apr 25, 21 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I also include my application materials (drafts at a minimum) so they understand what kind of applicant I am purporting myself to be and projects I am presenting. It gives them an opportunity to speak directly to the work and their interactions with you.

Apr 25, 21 9:45 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ Absolutely. Whether or not to send that important material with the initial request, or subsequently once you (hopefully) get a 'yes,' is a matter of preference.

Apr 25, 21 10:51 pm  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

depends how good the app materials are ;-)

Apr 26, 21 10:34 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: