Archinect
anchor

How can I broaden my skills after MSc?

Tsvaks

I am almost done with my MSc in architecture and I'm wondering what to do next in terms of improving my skills in the profession and becoming more employable and eventually having my own practice. Working in a firm under a licensed architect for two years then getting my license is part of the plan, yes.  My question is a little broader than that...

I’ve done some digging and it seems a Ph.D. is almost purely academic (correct me if I’m wrong) but I am not interested in academia enough to make my career purely academic. 

So if I want to supplement my skills, and a Ph.D. is not that profitable, what is the best way to do so? A Master’s degree or short course in a related field? Mastering software? 

I am interested in parametric design and BIM, just to mention a few topics. 

I appreciate any helpful advice :) 

Apr 25, 21 11:28 am
Wood Guy

Have you considered an MBA? That's one way to increase your earning potential.

Apr 25, 21 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Tsvaks

I didn't do enough research on it, but I'll look into it more. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 26, 21 4:00 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

In general I believe that unless you are an exceptional designer/artist, that to increase your earning potential, you can become proficient in either the technical aspects of design, or management, or sales. As a self-employed designer I try to balance all four, but if you find one of them a natural fit for your personality, I'd say to pursue that route.

Apr 26, 21 10:34 am  · 
2  · 
robhaw

I think it all depends on your interests. For technical knowledge areas, there are usually part time short courses or seminars , delivered online or evenings for professionals, organised by professional institutes, local colleges, 3rd party training providers. These generally cost a lot so the best case scenario would be to get your employer to sponsor you. Then there are of course master degrees or postgraduate certificates delivered also part time or on a day release mode which can agreed with the employer. There is finally, an abundance of self paced courses or publications that you can review in your own time by yourself. All of course depends on what your interests are and generally requires proactiveness, motivation and medium / long term planning to fit around the work schedule of an architect. I personally have a lot of short courses planned ahead for the next year and I regularly search online for relevant courses I want to take. Hope that helps. 

Apr 25, 21 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Tsvaks

That's very helpful, thanks. I think I'm mostly worried about putting effort in something that's not gonna end up being profitable, even if it's something I enjoy, but what you said just made me feel a bit more certain

Apr 26, 21 4:06 am  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

If you're thinking you are going to earn a credential that is going to immediately (or even in the short term) lead to a higher salary, more responsibility, or even just consideration for non-entry level positions I think you're going to be disappointed. There really isn't a short cut to advancing in this field because so much is learned on the job.  Typically you just need to position yourself to be given an opportunity and then deliver when you get your chance.  If your firm isn't giving you opportunities then find one that will.  Show why you deserve responsibility before you ask.

That being said, you could go the software route and really learn Revit/earn a certificate and pursue a BIM Coordinator type position.  In my opinion it would be difficult to really be effective as a BIM Coordinator/Manager without quite a bit of experience through all project phases and a variety of project types but I've never been in this position so maybe I'm mistaken. Still just my opinion, but while I don't see BIM Coordinator/Manager as a dead end, I also don't see it really opening a lot of doors.  It's not difficult to get stuck in a position like this because other members of the firm will become so reliant on them.  Lot's of cleaning up other people's mess.

Parametric design, python, etc. might get you into a position that isn't your typical entry level designer but I'm not sure it's going to lead to the range of experiences you're going to need if you want to run your own firm.  This seems like a high probability of getting pigeon holed as a software person (this applies to all design software as well) but I honestly haven't worked in a firm that does parametric design or is using python or anything similar.  Perhaps try to speak to some individuals in these positions to understand their experiences.  In the midsize firms that I've worked in the people that are really good at sketchup, photoshop, etc. end up spending almost all of their time modeling and very little putting together a set of drawings or learning to coordinate with consultants, clients, or contractors.

Another route is project management.  I believe academic courses as well as the more professional type offerings robhaw mentioned could fit here.  If your firm uses a specific project management software it would be good to know.  Understanding scheduling or gaining a basic understanding CM software like Procore might be helpful.  Project Management will open doors and will benefit you if you truly pursue your own firm.  However, regardless of your ability to use the software a firm isn't going to let you manage a project straight out of a MSc.  Even with some kind of degree you are going to have a hard time convincing a firm to hire you and let you manage a project without experience.  At that point you probably aren't doing architecture or getting AXP hours.  I think this option makes more sense as professional courses/seminars after a few years of experience and understanding how your specific firm operates.

All of that was a long way of saying just focus on getting your AXP hours and then pass the ARE's.  Instead of postponing your professional career with another degree or stretching yourself trying to work, achieve licensure, and gain some additional skill you may or may not use, just focus.  Enjoy your social life and don't burn yourself out.  Plenty of firms offer raises and promotions for licensure.  It will definitely make you more marketable when job hunting in the future and likely lead to higher salaries for your experience level.  You might even be able to get some side work that will allow you to brush up on other skills.

Apr 26, 21 9:50 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

In my opinion, you can take every class that exists but you won't be as employable as someone with work experience.  It takes longer than 2 years of experience to learn how to run a firm. Through working, you figure out what you don't know, what your strengths and weaknesses are, and what you enjoy doing. Get out there and see what you enjoy and what you are good at and evaluate from there what classes or courses may be of additional use. A big part of owning a firm is managing people; you learn that by being managed and seeing how others manage. A great manager isn't just profitable on paper.

Apr 26, 21 10:54 am  · 
2  · 
RJ87

I'd echo the fact that you need to leave academia & get into the profession. Unfortunately their is no shortcut to experience. I'd advise you to pine for opportunities once you get to working, if you let a firm pigeon hole you into doing the same thing over and over they will. But it's a delicate balance. An MBA wouldn't be the worst idea, but I think that's something you'd look into down the line. You'll need to work on your product (you're architectural knowledge) before you can sell it.

Apr 26, 21 11:25 am  · 
1  · 
robhaw

The best combination is really be to getting both work experience and pursue professional development in parallel through courses, which is why I suggested part time rather than full time education to the OP.

Apr 26, 21 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: