Archinect
anchor

University of michigan, Northeastern University or Maryland

levifingerer

Hi all,

I have to decide on schools this week for the M.arch.   I've been accepted to the 2 year programs but I can't decide on a school.   I'm into technical architecture and by that I mean the construction and law aspects.  

Which school is more prestigious and better ranked?

Thank you!

Apr 12, 21 6:39 am
Non Sequitur

boston

Apr 12, 21 7:10 am  · 
 · 
levifingerer

Because of the location or Northeastern is better than university of Michigan?

Apr 12, 21 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

sure, why not? 

Also important, don't rely on random anonymous wankers to make adult decisions for you. Figured you'd have picked this up by now given all your other threads. 

What's really important is that you pick the school that will leave you with the absolute lowest possible debt. Rankings and prestige are meaningless and they won't add value if you have to ruin the next 15+ years of your career with unnecessary loan payments.

Apr 12, 21 9:43 am  · 
 · 
square.

Rankings and prestige are meaningless and they don't add value

not entirely true- i've had many doors opened in nyc because of connections from the "prestigious" graduate program i went to (in fact, every job i've had is a direct result of it). but, yes, at a certain point there are diminishing returns. imo it's about finding the right balance (i was "lucky" to walk away with about a year's salary in debt).

Apr 12, 21 9:46 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

square, I slightly edited my response. "won't add value if" to be more appropriate.

Apr 12, 21 9:49 am  · 
1  · 
levifingerer

Thankfully I won't have any debt. Both schools offered me about a 40% scholarship and I'll cover the rest. I'm still unsure which I'd prefer

Apr 12, 21 9:56 am  · 
 · 
square.

in that case then the program rankings probably go michigan, northeastern, maryland. but all of these locations are quite different, which should be an equal consideration (e.g. though michigan is probably the best, it's not part of the east coast network)

Apr 12, 21 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is Michigan = Taubman in Ann-Arbor? Then, should not be a difficult decision given there is little financial impacts. I've worked with, and shared several drinks with 2 of their faculty members while I was in grad school.

Apr 12, 21 10:20 am  · 
 · 
levifingerer

That's a good response. Thank you. I think Michigan would be the best in terms of construction and such. I've lived in NY for many years so once I finish school I'd likely return to NY to get into development.

Apr 12, 21 10:20 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

sorry, didn't see your reply.... Normally I'd say go to school in the area that you want to live/work. But Mich does have a national reputation that would serve you well if you decide to live elsewhere.

Apr 12, 21 10:59 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

also, where do you want to live?  

For example, if you want work in Michigan, no one will care about a degree from Northeastern or Maryland.  

UMich is prob the only school listed with national recognition.  

Apr 12, 21 10:56 am  · 
 · 
levifingerer

I'm pretty open as to where I live. I'd probably go back to NY till I'm licensed and than leave to get into real estate

Apr 12, 21 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: