Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review/Career Advice!

knb_29

Hi everyone! 

I'm hoping some of you would be kind enough to take a look through my portfolio and give me some honest, constructive feedback - where it's strong, where it's lacking, if there are any ideas I could explore through some independent projects that would improve it etc.

I've been out of work since the end of March last year and finding it quite hard to find a new job. I've also just been rejected from all of the MArch degrees I applied to, so I'm trying to figure out where to improve things.

I'm mostly interested in residential and interiors; this isn't something I was able to explore during my undergrad degree and I'm concerned about the lack of it in my portfolio. For confidentiality reasons, I wasn't able to put any images of the residential project I did in practise into my portfolio.

If anyone is able to provide general career advice for what I'm interested in I'd be very grateful! I'm really interested a boutique, high-end approach and the experiential side of architecture - how textures, light, colour etc affect our wellbeing and experience of space. I'm half American, grew up in the UK and looking to move back to the states, but I have no idea with where to start and what level I should be applying at with my background/experience. I'm also considering pivoting into interior design!

Thanks!

https://indd.adobe.com/view/c5...

Mar 25, 21 12:17 pm
SneakyPete

Quick look:

Way too much text

Graphics are pleasing

Lead with your built work

Mar 25, 21 12:19 pm  · 
2  · 

Same thing, three second eye test:

Graphics look great! Why not go with a full page spread on some of them? Show that off! (Agree however, lead with your professional experience.)

Typography needs work, as well as the image composition. The colored boxes aren't doing anything for you. A book I'd highly recommend is The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst, he lays out some of the nitty gritty details. Basically, just like you can play with proportions/rhythm/etc. in architecture, you can do the same with graphic design.

You're on the right track!  

Mar 25, 21 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

dont need more than 5 sentences per project

Mar 25, 21 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

https://designmodo.com/grid-de...

Grid based design will do wonders from a layout perspective. 

Your work looks awesome, your current layout is 'busy' and is distracting from that. (Unbalanced elements, etc.) Agree with the less text. If anything, make the text diagrammatic or complementary to your drawings. (I.e. an arrow pointing to a specific design move/element with a little blurb rather than a giant block of text. Guide the reader's eye around the page, you're the designer.

I did quite enjoy the "five chairs" project, conceptually with your projects, you certainly have a very solid baseline to work from.

Mar 26, 21 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: