Archinect
anchor

Advice on architectural programs in Canada (March, MEDes, DDes, PhD)

archinous

Hello,

I have been working as an engineer in the construction field for many years. At some point, I become sick of what I do everyday and feel like I want to go back to where I was passionate about. Looking for a way out, I have decided to move to Canada with my family. By doing so, getting a student visa is the easiest way to go. I searched schools and came up with possible architectural programs. Now, I am seeking some advice to take to find a right program for me.

I received Master of Architecture and BA in Urban Planning and Design in the US and have been an engineer for ten years in the construction field.

My goal is to move to Canada, study architecture, and finally become a licensed architect.

Architectural programs I searched include Master of Architecture, Master of Environmental Design, Doctor of Design and PhD in Environmental Design.

I am willing to take advice on

- Program that fits the best for me based on my background

- Thoughts on Master of Environmental Design or Doctor of Design

- Any other thoughts on this

Thank you very much for your advice.

Mar 23, 21 8:56 am
Non Sequitur

Only an accredited M.arch will lead to becoming an architect.

Check with the CACB to see which schools offer this.  You can also check that site and see if your current credentials are sufficient for reciprocity.

Mar 23, 21 9:19 am  · 
 · 
archinous

Yes. I have a NACRB accredited professional degree. I asked CACB to check for my academic certification and they were positive. I am worried about writing when I pursue a thesis-bases degree. My English is getting rusty. Thanks.

Mar 25, 21 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

if you have an accredited degree, don't bother with more university. Take a 2y arch-tech diploma in any local college and start your intern period.

Mar 25, 21 5:17 pm  · 
1  · 
archinous

Yep. that is an option I have been thinking too. It would require too much effort doing another degree. Thanks.

Mar 26, 21 4:00 am  · 
 · 
Bench

If you already have been certified through NCARB, and from what I gather you need to do the actual working internship portion of the certification, and presumably write your exams? If that's the case, you don't need any further school whatsoever. Contact CACB and have them certify your credentials; there will be fees and should mostly involve sending original transcripts, etc. The professional/terminal degree is recognized on both sides of the border, and mostly requires paperwork for validation.

I would echo avoiding more school if its not necessary. You already have a master's degree and years of relevant work experience.

If you're specifically looking to get the visa for a reason to be allowed to move to the country... I'm not sure I have any advice on that.

Mar 25, 21 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
archinous

Yes. I need a diploma or degree to be allowed to move to the country and then get a job. Entering a school is much easier than getting a job to get a visa. A 2-yr tech diploma will be enough to restart architecture career for me. A 2-yr thesis-basis masters' degree doesn't seem a bad option, either. Thanks. Very helpful!

Mar 26, 21 4:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: