Archinect
anchor

Non-traditional background, seeking portfolio/resume feedback...

As stated, I come from a 'non-traditional' background. After completing my undergrad the entry-level job market was (still is)... less than optimal, and grad school was prohibitively expensive. I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to work in my family's commercial fishing business. While it certainly makes for interesting bar conversations, it's not exactly uhh... relevant. Unfortunately, a number of factors beyond my control (litigation/market volatility) is forcing a career change.  

Seeing the "writing on the wall", over the last two years, I've been working with my local Chamber of Commerce in economic development. For example: pulling building permit/construction data, inventorying commercial real estate, etc. It's been a great introduction to the planning profession, working regularly with developers/city staff.

It's not like I forgot how to design, I've been working on my own design/build project, the "Hippy Shack", which I plan on living in after completion. 

What I'm having trouble with is constructing coherent narrative in terms of my work experience, let alone obtaining it. Objective criticism certainly helps.  

I'm interested in feedback practicing professionals may have. What specifically are you looking for in entry-level/new hires? (I.e. technical proficiency, production work, construction/planning experience?) 

Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated. Based in Central California.

Work samples can be viewed here: https://lorrinfrench.com/ 

Mar 21, 21 1:23 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: