Archinect
anchor

How to ask for more money from University of Michigan

levifingerer

Hi all, I was accepted to Michigan with 30k but more would be extremely helpful with my current situation.   What's the proper and responsible way to request more?

who would you reach out to?

Thanks!

Mar 16, 21 11:25 am
randomised

what's your leverage?

Mar 16, 21 11:38 am  · 
2  · 
levifingerer

I've been accepted to other schools. They may want me to choose U of M over the other options.

Mar 17, 21 2:17 am  · 
 · 
randomised

So, there's your leverage...use the offer of UofM to see if you can get financial aid at the other schools too, so you can use that again as leverage to ask UofM to top that. See, not that difficult :-)

Mar 17, 21 5:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So they offered 30K... and you want more?  How fucking expensive is the tuition bill?

If they thought you'd merit a full ride, they would have offered it to you.  Be happy with what they gave you and start working/saving to pay for the rest.

Mar 16, 21 11:48 am  · 
natematt

That's about a year of tuition for in-state, and a bit more than half a year for out of state. It's not cheap... and still somehow much cheaper than half the colleges people ask about on here. Sign of the times.

Mar 16, 21 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Nate... that actually worse than I expected.

Mar 16, 21 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Cheap grad schools aren't cheap.

Mar 16, 21 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Curious, but would you use this logic: "If they thought you'd merit a full ride, they would have offered it to you" when approaching salary negotiations?

Why would negotiating salary be acceptable but negotiating tuition is somehow beyond the pale?  As long as education is treated as a commodity (it shouldn't be, that's a separate discussion), then  I see nothing wrong with negotiating for the best possible value.  If OP has an angle to go into his/her desired field with as little debt as possible, then they should explore every option.  It's their life we're talking about here.

Mar 16, 21 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

do you negotiate the price of groceries or gas?

Mar 16, 21 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

I shop around, yes

Mar 16, 21 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

but then you don't go into your favorite shop and ask for the apples at 80% sticker price. OP is free to take another school's offer. Nothing is forcing them to pick it. What is actually wrong with this picture is thinking people have to pay $30k+ for arch school. That's criminal.

Mar 16, 21 4:48 pm  · 
2  · 
newguy

What is the point you're trying to make? You agree that the cost of tuition is too high. So does OP, hence why he/she is trying to lower it via whatever means is available. If OP has a better offer at another school, then they can go back to their original school and ask to match, which would be a form of negotiating. I don't see what's wrong with that

Mar 16, 21 4:52 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

things are a little different here non. and michigan is public, so i think the overall cost is actually a bit lower than what you're imaging a la ivy bullshit. op wasn't super clear on what the overall cost of tuition is and how much the 30k covers, but it's probably more substantial than your typical private school.

Mar 16, 21 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I agree. But then again the OP decided to post several important adult decisions to the internets. Not our job to make the hard choices.

Mar 16, 21 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
levifingerer

Tuition is 50k-60k and that includes the yearly 10k scholarship

Mar 17, 21 2:18 am  · 
square.

just.. ask? but agreed, seems like a solid offer.

Mar 16, 21 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Take hostages and make a list of demands.

Mar 16, 21 1:00 pm  · 
6  · 

don't hesitate to ask, but make a solid case. "More would be better," is not a solid case. It's more about helping them to understand how financially strapped you really might be.  Things to consider- everyone else in that accepted cohort is thinking the same thing, AND there might be people in worse situations. The worst thing that can happen is that the say no.

Mar 16, 21 1:11 pm  · 
1  · 

Are you any good at basketball? 

Mar 17, 21 12:04 am  · 
2  · 
levifingerer

You'd all be surprised.   Tuition is closer to 50k-60k.   The 30k I've received from University of michigan is for 3 years.   10k per year.  Tuition is insane and architects don't make as much as they should.    I was just wondering if anyone has tips or a nice way of asking for more without seeimg stingy 

Mar 17, 21 2:16 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

60k per year?!

Mar 17, 21 5:05 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

60k is just wrong. Architects are paid what they are worth, not based on how dumb they are with student loans or the cost of their education.

Mar 17, 21 6:39 am  · 
 · 
midlander

tell them you're looking for the package that excludes U of M athletics see if that's more affordable. lol!

Mar 17, 21 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: