Archinect
anchor

Imperial to Metric Visiulazation Graphic

BLDG_CITIES

Hi Everyone,

I'm working in Metric for the first time (love not having fractions) and was wondering if anyone has a good visualization graphic to help me better conceptualize the scale. Its all a bit new to me at the moment. Something that shows everyday objects with metric and possible imperial dimensions would be very helpful.

Thanks for any help!

Feb 10, 21 3:06 pm
atelier nobody

Just remember that an inch is 25.4 mm and a meter is 39.37".

Feb 10, 21 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Probably not useful at architectural scales but one fun trick is that you can convert miles to kilometers (approximately) using the Fibonacci sequence.

Feb 10, 21 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

In Canada they gave us students wooden rulers with metric and imperial measurements.  Find one of those

Feb 10, 21 5:47 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

.Image result for inches vs cms conversion chart

Feb 10, 21 5:51 pm  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

Ya one of these!!

Feb 10, 21 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Feb 10, 21 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

welcome to the 1970s.  Use math and powers of ten. 

Feb 10, 21 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

A meter is (not) 3'-0".

Feb 10, 21 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Wait, what?

Feb 10, 21 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

While not 3'-0", it's close enough for someone who doesn't need precision to use as a visual translation. (This opinion is not shared by Non Sequitur)

Feb 10, 21 7:33 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

it is not.

Feb 10, 21 8:17 pm  · 
4  · 
atelier nobody

If a meter and a yard are "close enough", then you won't mind me taking 8½% of your paycheck, right?

Feb 14, 21 5:09 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

If you're using my current paycheck to get a rough idea of the amount you'll be paying me when it's multiplied by 1,000, sure. I mean FFS, the rule of thumb is LITERALLY a dumb thing, and you're over here litigating Imperial vs. Metric instead of giving the OP a better answer. "Can you give me a way to do this difficult conversion roughly while I get used to it?" "No, just learn it. I did. Never mind I was three at the time, just learn it, otherwise I'll be a smart ass."

Feb 16, 21 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It's funny. I grew up with both Imperial (at home) and metric (in school). Our (Canadian) rulers still have both. Most of our new projects are metric, but if you're doing any renovations on a building older than about 30 years, then it's Imperial. 

Also all of our building materials are in Imperial, but our drawings are metric. Etc.

It took me almost a decade working in an office to start to understand the metric system (in terms of judging scale) and I'm still not comfortable with it, despite 35 years of using it. It takes time I guess.

Feb 10, 21 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

imperial scales are pure sorcery to me... can't figure out them out without sitting down and writing their metric "equivalent" first. All I know is 1/8" is close enough to 1:100 and 1/4" is 1:50ish. After that, might as well make the rest up.

Feb 10, 21 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm with BB. I got used to metric in engineering school and again when I was doing a lot of Passive House work several years ago. I try to stay in practice about conversions, not just distance but other measurements as well, but IP units just make sense to me. I know they're archaic but they have personality; metric measurements are too sterile--how many mm thick is that window frame? How many mm tall?

Feb 10, 21 9:42 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

1 football field length (USA) = 0.11km

1 football field length (canada) = 0.10km

Brady would still have won regardless.

Feb 10, 21 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Check your math, son

Feb 10, 21 10:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Right, I had the endzones confused.  120y vs 150y (or 100y vs 110y sans ends)

109,728mm vs 137,160mm

1 NFL = 0.1097km

1CFL = 0.1371km

Serves me right for half-assing a snarky comment.

Feb 10, 21 10:41 pm  · 
1  · 
accountantthe

Metric Handbook?

Feb 10, 21 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
caramelhighrise

I'm sure many of us have counted out ceiling tiles since they're typically 2x2 or 2x4 Freedom Units to help clients picture how big a room might be. A quick google search says they're commonly 600x600mm elsewhere so I'd be curious if there are any tricks up some of all your sleeves besides that.

Feb 10, 21 10:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, freedom units is my thang.

But to your question, if you're counting ceiling tiles to get an idea of a space's overall dimensions... I think you can afford the 10mm potential for error.

Feb 10, 21 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
caramelhighrise

As long as the client doesn't pull out a tape measure and compare their brand new building to the room where the meeting took place, I'm okay with that.

Feb 10, 21 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
caramelhighrise

Also whoops, I must be too new here still. Maybe I'll try to stake a claim on metric fuck-ton instead?

Feb 10, 21 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Sometimes potential clients need reassurance that I know what I'm doing, and I have a few party tricks for that. One is that I can estimate IP dimensions very accurately, usually within 10% or less. When they comment about the size of the room we're in, for example, I'll say it's about x by x. Then we measure, and I'm right. Same for inches or yards, up to about 100 yards. I realize now that this sounds like I'm bragging but I just think it's a useful skill. It just takes practice and it shouldn't be something people value, but it never fails to impress.

Feb 10, 21 11:39 pm  · 
1  · 
caramelhighrise

I've had luck tying cherry stems with my tongue but to each their own.

Feb 17, 21 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

as a yankee living north of the border... my first metric job was a nightmare... not only the conversions but understanding the difference between hard and soft metric. also some products are still in imperial (e.g. ceiling grids) so you have to use hard dimensions. then some blocks manufacturers use metric and or imperial block... anyways... just  buy yourself a measure master pro calculator on amazon... it will save you lots of headaches at the beginning.

Feb 11, 21 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
your conscience

this should help. as an architect your job is to understand scale better than anyone

Feb 12, 21 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
your conscience

this one's good too... note we've almost lost the size of the entire army to covid. should have just invaded a country if we're prepared to accept those losses.

Feb 12, 21 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Somebody do the math for me. When I woke up this morning, it felt like -50c with windchill (-38c without).

Yay.

Feb 13, 21 9:40 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

It’s too cold for math beyond -40.

Feb 13, 21 11:50 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'm pretty sure the electrons inside the electronic calculators no longer move at that temperature...

Feb 14, 21 5:17 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Just think of everything in either gun caliber or amounts of drugs when converting...seems y’all are able to use  the metric system when it’s important.

Feb 14, 21 7:41 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

But, if you think of it in drug units, you'll think there are exactly 28 grams in an ounce. Umm...so I've been told...

Feb 16, 21 6:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

*28.34952g you amateur!

Feb 17, 21 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Obligatory post.

How to teach metric to m'uricans by our lord and savior: The Oatmeal.

Feb 16, 21 7:35 am  · 
4  · 
Almosthip

hahahaha

Feb 16, 21 1:32 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I like how people who live in a country who have no say over their government's choices use it to belittle the people who live in a country who have no say over their government's choices, either. It's like what randomised does with imperialism, but with imperial units instead.

Feb 16, 21 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You’re not very good at using that ignore function now are you? All I did was make a joke, that people in the States are already using the metric system...had a rough day Pete?

Feb 16, 21 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

See that?. it may have flew over your head, but its called a sense of humour. This isn't church....Church is down the street

Feb 16, 21 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Oh yes. Hilarious.

Feb 16, 21 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Sorry Pete, let me find a copy of the hurt feelings report for you

Feb 16, 21 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

My feelings are not injured in any way.

Feb 16, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: