Archinect
anchor

Washington State licensing requirement?

yuchench

Hi all,

I am checking the licensing requirement for Washington State on NCARB and have a question. Couldn't find the answer so hope someone here can help me.

Under the licensing requirements, there is one category: Is any additional experience beyond AXP/IDP required for initial registration? https://www.ncarb.org/get-lice...

and WA state requires:

Before starting the AXP, applicants must have at least six years of verified education and/or experience.

I already finished my ADP and recorded three years of work experience in NY (I am relocating to WA soon) I have verified 3 years education of my MArch, but I got my Bachelor degree abroad so NCARB cannot verify my Bachelor degree.

Do I meet the requirement for Washington State? Or should I just pass the NY jurisdiction first when I relocate to WA, then just apply reciprocal registration for WA license?

I have more than three years work experience in NY, but I stopped recording them in NCARB after reached three years.

Really appreciate if someone live in WA can help the question. Thanks.

Jan 30, 21 7:15 pm
t a z

You're going to have to poke around the website for the WA state licensing board to understand the specifics of how education/experience is evaluated.  Or rather that website is the reference link you should post (not the NCARB summary link).

But my actual comment is that WA has an additional state specific testing requirement so even if you do initial licensure in NY you will not be automatically eligible for reciprocity.

Jan 31, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

OK, nm. The WA state website is very (very) brief and the state test is a 25 question take home exam!

Jan 31, 21 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Call the state licensing board. They'll be able to answer your questions. Don't trust the information listed on the NCARB website.

From what I understand, if you have an M.Arch (NAAB-accredited) degree, and have completed AXP, and have worked for at least 3 years under supervision of a licensed architect (WA requires min 3-year work experience, not just completion of AXP) ... you should be good to go per WA's requirements. You'll just need to pass the ARE.

Feb 1, 21 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

It's hard to tell if WA is referring to a "seismic" exam as a separate exam requirement or what used to be the (now obsolete) ARE lateral forces exam. I was assuming WA would be similar to CA with something to specifically acknowledge seismic design concerns in that neck of the woods.

Feb 2, 21 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, I don't know what that's all about either. I don't think there is a separate seismic exam for WA. I think there is only the 25-question law exam that is "extra." Even then it's hard to call it an exam. You can simply look up the answers in the links they provide. It's like a reading comprehension exam. My assumption is that it is intended to preclude anyone licensed from saying, "I didn't know that was illegal," because you literally had to pass a test on the legal stuff in order to become licensed.

Feb 2, 21 12:02 pm  · 
betonbrut

I am licensed in WA and the NCARB requirements are all you really need. Unlike California, there is no additional seismic exam… There is a law exam, which is the 25-question take-home exam someone referenced above. It used to be you had to paraphrase the applicable law to ensure each licensed architect had at least read the law once! It took forever and was very lengthy. Consider yourself lucky you only need to research answers to 25 questions!

Feb 2, 21 12:09 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: