Archinect
anchor

Architectural services contracts question: Two adjacent lots, same owner, one contract?

masarc

Hello, I'm working out the architectural services contract(s) (B105) for an upcoming project in the LA area and am looking for some advise.

The scope includes two adjacent properties owned by the same person.

One of them will involve remodeling the existing single-family residence (SFR).

The other lot is vacant and will be developed with a new SFR

My question: Given that the overall project entails work on separate adjoining lots owned by the same owner, each with its own unique scope, should I provide individual contracts for each or one contract for ALL work (same client)?

I'm thinking I should separate them into individual contracts, but wonder if others might think otherwise.

Thanks.

Jan 20, 21 7:46 pm
SneakyPete

Keep them separate. If one project moves ahead and the other does not, or if one project needs add services and the other does not, or if you want different consultants on each, etc. then you'll be good to go.

Jan 20, 21 8:18 pm  · 
6  · 
apscoradiales

Separate in case Murphy's Law strikes.

Jan 20, 21 8:42 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

Ditto on separating the two.  We often have clients with several projects side by side that run concurrently and they are always treated as separate contracts and fees.

Jan 20, 21 9:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Rusty!

Ask owner if they plan on having separate construction agreements with contractor(s) or a single one. Match that. 

It will be a pain in the ass if your double contract corresponds to single contractor agreement or vice versa. 

Jan 20, 21 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Instead of asking, strongly suggest they match you.

Jan 20, 21 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

That's a good power move for anyone not asking Archinect for basic contract advice.

Jan 20, 21 9:31 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Damnit. Guess that's why I'm an employee and not an employer. :)

Jan 20, 21 9:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Rusty!

To be perfectly fair, seasoned architects struggle interpreting their own contracts they negotiated drafting. OP's question is fair for a novice. Work with your client on this. Keep it simple.

Jan 20, 21 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
masarc

Thank you.

Jan 21, 21 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

One contract seems ok if they are going to construct it all at once with a single contractor.   The different lots may be an issue to think about.  You probably will have to secure two individual building permits if it's separate lots, so you should make sure you are compensated for that extra work.

Jan 21, 21 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: