Archinect
anchor

Would appreciate your Portfolio Reviews

Ram619

Good day everyone;

If you could take some time to review my portfolio I would be grateful. Feel free to give the comments your absolute all as long as they are constructive! ( I plan on adding more projects, it's not done yet .)

Thank you for your time.

Some extra info:

• I'm applying for Masters ( still deciding btw M.Sc. and M.Arch)
  • I will soon receive my B.Sc. in Architecture.
  • Still searching for university options but my current list includes 
  • TU Delft, UC Berkeley, Politecnico di Milano, KU Leuven 
  • (if you have any uni suggestions of a similar budget and strong program please feel free to recommend some.)

https://issuu.com/r.s.619/docs...

Jan 6, 21 11:24 am
newbie.Phronesis

To be frank, it feels rather short - which is better than far too long, just lacking in content. Some points I would suggest if pursuing M.Arch:

-the cover page is... plain, a rendering or even moving contact info to another page would help. Ex. 10 Outstanding Architecture Portfolio Example Covers (thearchitectsguide.com)

-first project, replace the second rendering with the progress sketches beneath it (they're more important). Also have consistent spacing between images, and line up elevations with the rest. Suggest a different font for titles as well.

-second project, remove one page and transfer it to first project. The opening page of that project is good, but the following ones don't need to be as construction dwg heavy as they are - they want to know you can do dwgs, not that you're an expert in detailing. Remove the bathroom detail altogether... I do like how everything is spaced out more here, though.

-third project, again give more import to the progress and hand sketches you've done. You don't really need to give the first and second floor plans the real estate they have - turn into vignettes or just remove.

If you have anything else creative you've done, add a spread - drawings and sketches especially. Cheers, and good luck!

Jan 6, 21 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ram619

Thank you for taking the time to help me improve! 

Could you clarify the following?
- by "remove one page", are u referring to the bathroom details you mentioned after? 
- by "transfer it to the first project" do you mean change the order of this project by making it the first one in the portfolio?

Regarding the elevations of the first project, I positioned them so that they are correctly aligned with the plan above them ( projection wise). Should I still move them to the middle of the page even if that will disrupt that alignment?

Jan 7, 21 7:18 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

-Yes

Jan 7, 21 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

-Sorry, meant transferring a page to the first project (so it has four pages instead of the current three). If you take NS and thatsthat advice you may wish to also change your order around - first and last projects should be strongest

-That is fine then, though I would make it clearer with either dashed lines connecting up or some other form of graphics. If possible, could also extend the ground plan so the images have the same width.

Jan 7, 21 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's pretty muddy.  Those first few renderings are way too dark and the material choices poor. Not the best choice for first project.  The only thing that might be interesting to look at are those 2 long elevations, but they are way too small. Ditto for that site plan.  

The slope house has potential, but like your first project, drawings are unclear, muddy and way too fucking small.  Also why is the "sky" in those sections not the same white as the layout background? The technical drawings could be nice, but it's crowded with the sheet frames and unnecessary notes.

The last project is too simple and amateurish and they suffer from the same problems as your first two.  Also, get rid of the washroom drawings. 

The whole folio needs a serious purge.  There is too much stuff and absolutely no effort is made to curate the content for legibility.  Nothing here shows off how your thought through from concept to the final designs nor does it demonstrate good communication skills.

Jan 7, 21 8:07 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

It looks like the drawings for the slope house were hand-drawn and scanned. I give the OP credit for that, but they could photoshop the fuzz out of the background, or at least crop out the prof's grade at the top. The slope house sections need to be cropped more so the edges of the paper/partially cut out words don't show.

Jan 7, 21 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Ram619

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I Will definitely work on them. Although I must say I am disappointed it appears that I have not put in the effort because I tried to take many aspects into consideration, but I guess my approach is not as appropriate as I imagined ( for example the elevations are of that size because I wanted them to be of the same scale as the plan above which won't fit if enlarged further.) The mistakes sure make me glad I posted here for the feedback :) I will find a way around them. Do you think I should remove the last project altogether? It's true that it's quite simple, but could you explain why it gives off an amateur-ish look?

Jan 7, 21 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ram619

@thatsthat ; we were indeed asked to submit that project by hand. I kept the textured background because I thought it looked nice ( apparently not?). Thanks for the tips! I will cut the grade and words out !

Jan 7, 21 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ram, having the images at the same scale is a good thing. Cramming everything into a single spread is not. You're expected to know how to design, treat the layout of the folio as a design exercise: Space things out, remove clutter & text, be clever about white space and position of images, etc...

Jan 7, 21 1:50 pm  · 
2  · 
Ram619

Will do. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 8, 21 8:05 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: