Archinect
anchor

Recommendation letter when leaving an office?

_rococo_

I have finally decided to leave the job I've had for the past 6 years, and my bosses were very supportive when I told them. I worked my way up from designer to Project Architect and had the chance to work on some great high-profile projects, but I am burned out and want to explore some other career options. My plan is to take a few months off to reset, and perhaps find some renovation work to get my creative juices flowing again -- but I would eventually prefer to branch out and apply my skills to an adjacent design field. (Think: production design, art direction, UX design, etc.)

I know my bosses will speak highly of me if I list them as references on my resume, but should I go the extra step and ask one of them for a recommendation letter? They are quite busy (it's a "starchitect" office) so it feels like a lot to ask, but I imagine it could be immensely useful to have for future job applications. I also worry that they are too busy to answer a phone call or email from a prospective employer. What is most common these days?

Jan 5, 21 12:46 pm
apscoradiales

Letters of Recommendation are very useful. Don't forget to ask for them from consultants and clients too.

Jan 5, 21 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 
On the fence

I have asked every one of my previous employers to write me a letter of rec. and all of them were more than happy to do it.  I think I have five of them and they get submitted every time I apply for a new position.

Jan 5, 21 1:06 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

These letters are great things to get.  The best time to ask for one is now because your firm will be working on processing you out of their systems and files for active employees anyway.  Asking in the future will probably be less convenient for them.

Jan 5, 21 1:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Do it - and do it soon, while the good thoughts are still fresh in everyone's mind. Nothing hurts quite like coming back in 3-6 months to ask then, and they are too busy / uninterested.

Jan 5, 21 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 
_N8_

Question - as I am only in my first job. Do you store these letters yourself, or is there some online system that acts as a 3rd party? Seems weird to submit 'letters' that may or may not have been written by someone else.

Jan 5, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You keep the letters and give them to the prospective employer. The prospective employer will then contact whoever wrote the letter to verify it.

Jan 5, 21 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 
On the fence

The people I have letters of rec. from are also on my references sheet. They can always contact them if the company needs to go the extra mile.

Jan 5, 21 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Having a letter in hand before I contact a person's reference makes the process of verifying employment history and performance much more focused and efficient.

Jan 5, 21 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

There are a lot of firms with nice pays and casual work load/hours. Just not as exciting projects. You can land these easily with your starchitect experience. Why try to start over at other fields. The grass is not that greener. Anyway just my random 2 cents, maybe you want some new experience.

Jan 5, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...The grass is not that greener..."

Indeed.

Jan 5, 21 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

Thanks, but I'm looking to be challenged with something new and exciting, not bored doing what I already know how to do.

Jan 5, 21 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The pursuit of the new and shiny is not likely to be rewarded in this field, even if it should be. I wish you luck.

Jan 5, 21 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
_rococo_

Thanks all, clearly I need to stop being shy about it and just ask!

Jan 5, 21 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

if they're too busy, write the letter yourself and give it to your principal for review and sign.

Jan 5, 21 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Only have recommendation letters from my first two jobs, thought it was something for juniors when starting out, I think...in hindsight wish I had them for all other jobs since too. It's just nice to have, in case someone does ask for them I guess, a bit late for asking now. I do list people as reference when required and have a quite complete LinkedIn profile, also helps I guess.

Jan 5, 21 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: