Archinect
anchor

Portfolio page count

levifingerer

I noticed many people post portfolios to schools with a small page limit.  For example,  someone posted a 45 page portfolio to a school that requires 20 or less pages.   

Is it okay to submit more than their requirements? 

Jan 3, 21 11:12 am
Non Sequitur

no. Follow the bloody directions. Even 20 pages is too much. Learn to triage and curate your work and don’t show everything you’ve ever done. Worst thing is, you get wankers who think themselves superior who will post 20 glossy (ie boring) renderings of the same mundane project but offer zero progress sketches.   easy skip. 

Jan 3, 21 11:38 am  · 
3  ·  1
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Logged in just to dislike.

Jan 3, 21 12:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Cool, thanks. You can log out and disappear again. You’re not the brightest anyways.

Jan 3, 21 2:06 pm  · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Why do you call people wankers? Is this forum the outlet for your anger issues?

Jan 3, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My favorite wanker of all time:

Jan 3, 21 2:55 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Even subtracting Non's editorialization, why would you think that flouting clearly stated instructions would be a good idea-- when asking them to choose you over others?  

The "easy skip" reference is to the overworked admissions reviewer looking for quick excuses to reject some of the many, many application files for failing to observe easily met rules.  Don't give them that excuse; learn to edit your work.

Jan 3, 21 2:38 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

...but it would not be in the internets without editorializationing. I read that somewhere once.

Jan 3, 21 2:46 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

I know, I know. But I try to give at least one benefit of the doubt before going to the garage for my pitchfork. Plus I already had my coffee, which takes the edge off.  And the bourbon.

Jan 3, 21 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

Take whatever is on Issuu with a grain of salt, including page count. A lot of universities require 20/30 spreads/clicks. Issuu is not too compatible with spreads, which why applicants divide their portfolios into pages and end up with 40/60+ pages when in fact they only sent 20/30 to universities, it's the same content, just exported differently. I suggest you follow the guidelines presented to you by the schools you're sending to as they're adamant about those kinds of instructions. 

Jan 4, 21 2:30 am  · 
 · 
hellion

Definitely follow if the school you're applying for has a required page count/limit. Emphasis on "required" because it's different from "recommended" (GSD) and having no mention of page limit at all (Princeton, Yale). But programs at Columbia, Cornell, ETH Zurich, ITECH, TU Berlin have specific page limits (including no. of projects). 

The GSD welcomes a variety of portfolio styles as mentioned in their site, but they established their own set of specifications that they recommend applicants to follow for reference because this is the readable/efficient format in their application portal, which is also how it's projected where admissions will be accessing the applications:

While Princeton and Yale don't have page limits, they do have size limits for their portfolios. Princeton requires 10MB (although you can upload up to 32MB in their application portal), while you can upload up to 2GB for Yale (if you're including video projects, etc.)

As much as possible, stick to what is required, but if there are clauses that allow you to go further, exceed only when you must but it shouldn't amount to twice or more of what is ideal or preferred.

Jan 6, 21 10:34 am  · 
1  · 
SlammingMiruvor

Don't kid yourself that this stops after college applications. Publicly available RFPs often have strict page limits. 

Jan 6, 21 5:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: