Archinect
anchor

How much weight can a second floor bedroom hold?

flyfisher1

I could really use some help here from those of your that can offer it.

My son would like to build a free standing climbing wall in his bedroom.  Calculating the weight using board feet, moisture content, fasteners, holds and so forth the entire project would come in about 820 lbs. The weight will go down over time as the moisture content of the wood decreases.
The wall will cover an area that is 10’x8’. His room is on the second floor and will also contain his mattress within the same 10x8 area (he will use it as a crash pad as well as sleeping area.)  The bed weighs around 100 lbs.
The added, and difficult to estimate, issues is that if a human body falling off the wall from time to time and the weight of that impact on the floor.
I want to support my son in his desire to plan and build something, but do not want to damage the integrity of the floor/ceiling/house.
Any input you can offer would be much appreciated.

Dec 27, 20 9:05 pm
Non Sequitur

Build the wall outside... unless you're certain you can anchor it back to the studs and provide sufficient bracing to compensate for the extra force of the activity. 

Dec 27, 20 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

In my area, bedroom floors were usually designed with 30psf load. Washrooms and kitchens with 50psf in mind.

Maybe check with a local structural engineer to see the max. design loads are in your jurisdiction.

Dec 27, 20 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

sorry, replying to the wrong person.

Dec 27, 20 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Falling off the wall "from time to time?"

I'd suggest spending some time at a bouldering gym and watch how they climb. Then reconsider your goals. 

Dec 27, 20 11:44 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

So much to work with here!  First, I don't recall how to calculate for this.  Second, I love the idea-- particularly the mixed-use crash site/sleeping zone (one at a time, please!).  Third, unless your son is full-grown he will continue to add live load over time (transferring weight from the kitchen downstairs, presumably).  Lastly, I love that you want to try and make this work in order to encourage his creativity.  Still, you should substitute "harm my son in any way" for "damage the integrity of the floor" if you want to win Father of the Year.

Good luck!

Dec 28, 20 12:34 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Be sure to replace the carpet with broken glass to discourage falls.  

Dec 28, 20 10:21 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Dark.

Dec 29, 20 4:08 am  · 
 · 
citizen

SAW X: The Revenge

Dec 29, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Residential floors can carry 40psf (pounds per square foot). You take the spacing of your joists/beams and multiply that by two and divide by 12. You then multiply it by 40.

You then have to analyze the beam to see what the max load it can carry would be and how close it comes to the number above. 

The 820 may be a problem if it is a point load, and it may not be a problem if it is a uniform load. I say hire a structural engineer.

Dec 28, 20 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

deleted.... not needed.

Dec 29, 20 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Huh?

Dec 29, 20 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

forgot to mention: in the first part above I was calculating tributary area...

Dec 28, 20 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

just do it. if the floor starts sagging, reinforce it

Dec 31, 20 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: