Archinect
anchor

Architects to research!

cozyknees

Hello, I am a first-year Landscape Architecture student and I will be changing my major to Architecture in the Spring. 

At my school, LAR&ARCH and a couple of other design majors take the same classes as a freshman. I had both LAR and ARCH professors and was exposed to both fields, but I found myself leaning a lot more towards Architecture related studies. 

Before submitting my major change application, I was hoping to do some extra research on my own (which is how I found this site). I am unsure where to begin, which sources to view, and what architects to research. I would appreciate if you would give me suggestions or a list of your favorite architects/architecture firms to view or really anything that could be helpful in my situation.  

Thanks in advance! 

Dec 24, 20 11:07 am
Jay1122

You do know you won't likely be the next Frank Ghery or Zaha Hadid or whatever starchitect when you graduate with architecture degree right? Having a list of good work to get inspired at is fun but your academic experience does not indicate your professional life at all. If you like to design public parks, gardens, stay with Landscape (You have to actually know the kind of plant species that goes in the design, unlike architect: uh just put some trees and flower there, and 99% of time we don't even touch landscape, give it to consultant AKA landscape architect). If you like doing detailed drawings of building. Want to know how a building is actually are assembled beyond mere cool forms, go with architecture. Honestly they are worlds different, despite both has Architect in the name.

Dec 24, 20 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

cozyknees,

Not sure why you want to research other architects, They will pollute you mind; be your own man! If they ask in school which architects' work do you like, tell them none, and move to another school where they won't ask such ridiculous questions. You don't want to be influenced by anyone, including architects,  except your mom and dad.

Do you like buildings? When you're on trips, do you look at buildings - besides girls? If you do, you are good enough to get into a school, imo.

This sort of reminds me when I would want to be changing jobs. "How much hospital experience do you have", I'd be asked.

"None", I said, "If i had some, I wouldn't want to be applying to work on them".

Dec 24, 20 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
cozyknees

Good points. Although I am a straight female so I wouldn't look at girls, haha but I was just looking for inspiration as one of the questions is why I'm interested in Architecture. I also have an interview and I just wanna prepare myself in case they ask those questions.

Dec 25, 20 12:56 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Think about your experience of space, both natural and man-made, throughout your life. How have different spaces made you feel? What was it about the good spaces that made them good? What about the bad spaces made them bad? What is it you want to make other people feel in spaces you create?

Dec 28, 20 4:53 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Pick up a copy of Francis DK Ching, Building Construction Illustrated and see if the detailed construction drawings interest you as much as all of the beautifully rendered design drawings you've probably seen many of. That will tell you more about whether the profession is really for you than seeing the work of all the "starchitects".

If you haven't already, read Roger K Lewis, Architect? A Candid Guide to the Profession.

THEN start looking at the work of great architects past and present, as well as a good general history of architecture book or two.

Dec 24, 20 4:56 pm  · 
2  · 
cozyknees

Thanks so much!

Dec 25, 20 12:57 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Research Jawknee

Dec 24, 20 5:01 pm  · 
citizen

That's dangerous advice for a newbie, Le C.

DJ Pauly D / Use Your Imagination - Imgflip

Dec 26, 20 3:19 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: