Archinect
anchor

Boxing/punching bag stand project

designerplus

Architects, especially those with a specialty in construction/materials science type fields, please shed some advice on this project.

What's the simplest design for building a punching bag stand?

Criteria: freestanding/not bolted down (i.e into floors, walls, ceiling, et), stable, least corrosion & health/safety concerns, support 200lb bag, be able to freely circle the bag unimpeded by a pillar, and minimal cost. So far it seems best solution is a pull-up bar design: 2 10ft posts with support legs and joined with a 15ft pipe, 2in+ thick (stainless steel, titanium, or other steel type).

Dec 23, 20 7:01 pm
Wood Guy

Sky hook

Dec 23, 20 7:12 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

The only answer.

Dec 23, 20 8:37 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Get an old tire. Cut out a circular piece of 1/2" plywood that fits inside the tire but doesn't fall through. get a 6' "peeler core" (a 6x6 will also work, but round is better). use 3 or 4 large lag screws through the plywood into one end of the post (centered on the plywood circle, of course). Make some struts from 2x4s for additional stability - the lengths, angles, and placement of the struts will be driven by the size of the tire, since they need to go inside the tire and attach to the plywood. Fill tire with concrete.

Pad the post as required to meet your needs as a punching bag (I use this design for weapons practice, so my padding is a lot thinner than I would want it if I were throwing hands).

Dec 23, 20 7:20 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Heavy Bag Stand - Grey | Century Martial ArtsTHIS

Dec 23, 20 7:41 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: