Archinect
anchor

Self-Designed Projects

I'm an undergraduate architecture student and I've been looking for an internship but in the meantime, I would still like to expand my portfolio by designing and completing a project for myself. Have any architecture students done something like this? If so, do you have any recommendations as to where I could start? I'm experiencing a lack of inspiration.

Dec 15, 20 12:50 pm
SneakyPete

Many retired architects have never done "designing and completing a project for [themselves]". Architecture is a team sport.

Dec 15, 20 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

First off, you're not an architect yet so the projects you could design will need to be theoretical or residential.  

Second, as SP stated architecture is a team sport.  You work with many other disciplines and that type of experience is something you do not learn in school regardless of how many group projects you may do.  

Third, you'll probably want to get a mentor that is a practicing architect.  You're going to run into a lot of things you've never dealt with before. Proposals, zoning, codes, permits, contracts, specs, the list goes on. 

Good luck.  

Dec 15, 20 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I can’t help you there, I make a terrible client: shit budget, keep changing my mind and try to take over the design process all the time, I’d fire me as a client and an architect. 

Dec 15, 20 1:00 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I would fire myself as a client too.. Actually, I often do. Don't know why I keep hiring myself tho... must be because I charge so little.

Dec 15, 20 1:23 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Um... I had an advantage; my father had a architecture firm. So, there were often tiny projects for friends and family that couldn't be done by a large firm; so he'd approach me.  By the end of college, I'd done design and full CD's on a few residential additions, remodels, basements, decks, etc. My dad peer reviewed; no stamp necessary.  It made for good working CD portfolio stuff (hadn't planned on working for my father, so I was thinking portfolio at the time).  Also, a fellow student had a summer gig with a GC doing shop drawings... My sister, not a architect, does kitchen design and custom cabinet shop drawings.  Basically there are options out there.

Dec 15, 20 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Oh, forgot to mention another upper year student to build portfolio during the summer found design competitions and submitted.

Dec 15, 20 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 
caramelhighrise

I'd second that. I regret not entering more competition work in school.

Dec 17, 20 1:50 am  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

I'm guessing by self-designed project you are referring to something similar to a studio project.  Look for a design competition.  Bustler aggregates quite a few.

https://bustler.net/competitio...

Dec 15, 20 3:32 pm  · 
2  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Just pick a site, real or imaginary, and design something. How far you want to take it is up to you.

Dec 15, 20 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: