Archinect
anchor

Professional Advice for a Graduate

archgrad2020

Hello everyone,

I just finished my MArch this year but still not a qualified architect. Considering the whole-world situation, it is obviously quite difficult for a fresh graduate to secure themselves a job, especially if they have particular demands and are not ready to sign a contract with just any company.

Due to COVID-19 I was made redundant at my previous multidisciplinary design company, where I was working part-time. The last project I had the chance to work on was in the Healthcare sector, while at the same time I was working on my design thesis statement at university related to the design of sustainable and liveable cities.

With all this in mind, I came to realise that what makes me passionate about "where I see myself in the future" is a summary of the development of cities, public health/ wellbeing, and healthcare. Therefore, I need your help with the following:
1) Could any of you please suggest to me any professional degree or online courses I can take or books I can read in order to secure myself a job that could offer me experience in the development of cities and public health?
2) What job roles and companies would you suggest I should be looking at that offer experience in the development of cities and public health?

Dec 15, 20 12:50 pm
Non Sequitur

"especially if they have particular demands and are not ready to sign a contract with just any company"

You're a fresh grad and therefore don't know shit about shit.  Why be so picky?  Anyways, cities are not designed by architects... we have plethora of planers and urban folks that, through very painfully slow process, review strategic growth plans and zoning bylaws in an effort to guide the future of the city.  These are mostly moot points because anyone with enough money can bypass these and build mostly whatever they want.  

What you need to look into are offices that offer master planning services... things like multi-building mixed use communities and rapid transit systems, etc.  These are places that might have a shot at influencing the people making the decisions in my previous paragraph... just don't get your hopes up.  

Dec 15, 20 2:25 pm  · 
4  · 
gibbost

I suggest finding an office that is multi-disciplinary--with an emphasis on healthcare.  The good news for you is that healthcare is a burgeoning sector and you should be able to find work.  Use your internship as an opportunity to learn as much as you can--become well rounded.

As noted above, most cities have 'Urban Design Review Boards' and 'Strategic Longterm Planning' groups that focus on overall city density and design.  Seek out those folks and look for opportunities to join/volunteer/etc.  Most arch offices don't drive that conversation, but are all affected by it.  In other words, be 'in the know'.  We have two people in our office that sit on these boards and find it incredibly helpful to know where things are trending and how it might affect our vision for a particular project.   Good luck.

Dec 15, 20 2:58 pm  · 
2  · 
archgrad2020

Thank you :)

Dec 16, 20 8:06 am  · 
 · 
square.

what's this "contract" you speak of?

Dec 15, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Oh For Fucks Sakes! Role up your sleeves and get a job and stop acting like a millennial! Way too much drama in your initial commentary for me to suggest anything reasonable as it's likely not aligned with your perfect world view.  

Really, get a job that allows you to see that the design and development is not done by glorified "designers" or one office but learn how the world really works.  Shit gets done by people who make things happen, yes architects, but writers, historians, politicians, artists, engineers and planners who work to forge good ideas and get them heard and executed.  The more you understand about how to execute an idea the better equipped you'll be to get shit done and make an impact.

Good Luck.

Dec 15, 20 7:23 pm  · 
3  ·  2
square.

i like this advice except for everything in the stereotypical, condescending first paragraph.

Dec 16, 20 10:20 am  · 
3  · 
BabbleBeautiful

Work for the city?

Dec 16, 20 9:33 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Patience "grasshopper"...

Dec 16, 20 10:05 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

IMO it seems that schools focus so narrowly on concepts when often there is no specific direct correlation in the working world.  To my knowledge, there is no "public health consultant" that you can hire to weigh in on the "liveable" aspects of a city.  It's just good and thoughtful design. 

Dec 16, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 
pettydesign

https://archinect.com/jobs/ent...

Dec 16, 20 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Al of the comments come from old bitter architects. Don't let go of your dreams archgrad2020

Dec 17, 20 11:19 am  · 
 · 
whistler

No just seasoned professionals, use to seeing simplistic expectations in a world so much more complex that than what an inexperienced wanna be architect sees. Not surprised by those expectations or "dreams" just surprised that someone would declare that they don' t

Dec 17, 20 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

want to sign with just anybody. I get the desire to be inspired and want to work or mentor under someone / some firm that is a leader in there field. But i am surprised that some recent graduate has expectations that they would be a desirable hire with little to no experience / skills or as Non denotes know shit about shit!

Dec 17, 20 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

I know plenty of fresh grads that get jobs at "star" firms. Just have to have the talent and right internships/schools on your resume to be honest. It's a hard lifestyle so if you're ever going to pursue that dream it should be fresh out of school while you still have the energy.

Dec 17, 20 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: