Archinect
anchor

Being sidelines by colleagues...

Chuck71

Here's the situation. I'm doing technical reviews on a project where the contractor is playing the game of 'proceeding at risk', while of course not managing anything. Not earth shattering stuff thankfully, at least not yet.

Anyway, having a silo approach to anything, I make comments at the right time, the right place, to the right people, through the right process, the contractor then ignores it because the coordination that a design manager for the contractor should doing simply doesn't happen.

Or I think they see my name, and say we can ignore that comment.

When I find out later, I am finding out that they have ignored it after asking clueless colleagues, who themselves haven't bothered to ask me about what the requirement needs to be. I'm finding out after the discussions have taken place, where I have been excluded (I can see it through the project information system), and that now affects my work.

It has happened a few times now, and I just get short shrift from the people who are facilitating this behaviour from the contractor, that it is really nothing to do with them.

I'm expected to work with others, communicate, coordinate, 'follow the rules' when it comes to process, but I'm frozen out whenever it suits anyone to do so.

getting seriously fed up, but having complained about it to people who could pull the miscreants into line, they've done nothing.

Useful suggestions, besides, quitting, or asking the people who keep doing this to stop, when they've already today sidelined my request to do so with a standard 'whats done is done' bullshit reply to my polite request?

Dec 11, 20 6:21 am
ivanmillya

What's your role in the project? If you're some type of junior designer (like in a small firm where you're expected to handle a part of CA even though you're not the AOR or PM), then I'd inform your PM or other boss about the situation, and ask how you can be useful in that case. If you're the project manager, or are otherwise the role that is directly responsible for CA, that would be serious cause for concern, and I would have a serious talk with the staff who you have assigned to your project, as well as the GC, and communicate to everyone the chain of command when it comes to YOUR project.

Dec 11, 20 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Chuck71

Ivan, I'm an Architect qualified since 1997 reviewing facade packages. In the project hierarchy, the site architect who is one of the people enabling my being fucked over, is a level above, but there are others at the same level under him who are doing the same.

Dec 11, 20 10:13 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...Useful suggestions, besides, quitting..."

Quit! You, and your opinions are not trusted, Only solution - besides putting a contract on them - is to leave.

Dec 11, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Been there done that. At the end of the day, if you're not the one signing the documents, signing the paychecks, or paying for the insurance premiums, you're probably not going to get what you want. You've fulfilled your employee obligations in my opinion when you've made your "comments at the right time, the right place, to the right people, through the right process." What happens after that isn't really in your control, and probably above your pay grade. 

The good news? If you've made your "comments at the right time, the right place, to the right people, through the right process" there's a paper trail and when the project falls apart the lawyers will be able to ask the person being deposed, "this employee knew what they were talking about and you didn't follow their direction, why?"

Dec 11, 20 12:19 pm  · 
2  · 
caramelhighrise

It's a shame how much of my job is CYA. I wonder if management knows how many hours a spend retyping discussions with my boss because he changes his mind every day.

Dec 17, 20 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Chuck, you mention on another post that you've recently been diagnosed with ASD? Skills are one thing, personality (and personality disorders) are another. Have you done any research on personality types? Technically proficient architects are often "INTP" by the Myers-Briggs system, and type 5 on the Eannagram system. Taking the tests and reading through the descriptions can be very helpful, and tend to appeal to those with the INTP personality type, which often bumps up against or overlaps with ASD and also ADD/ADHD. You might find clues in there on how to manage your career.

(To be clear, I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, but as an INTP I have found researching personality types to be extremely helpful, for both my career and my personal relationships.)

Dec 12, 20 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: