Archinect
anchor

Archinect Censorship

The_Crow

Hi Archinect Peers,

I'm troubled to say that a comment of mine criticizing the AIA firm of the year award has been deleted by Archinect from the recent news articled they shared. There was nothing malicious about the comment, but I merely brought up that I did not think their design work warranted them winning the award. This censorship bothers me and greatly makes me question the validity of Archinect as a forum where free discussion of the field is allowed. I understand that my opinion about whether their work is good or not is subjective and may have brought forward lively debate in the comments, the public's ability to disagree with that is very valid. 

I hope Archinect will respond to this. Has anyone else experienced such censorship from the forum? 

Dec 8, 20 5:37 pm
SneakyPete

Archinect is stricter with the comments in the News section than in the forum.

Dec 8, 20 5:39 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Isn't this more or less what Thread Central was originally intended for?

Dec 8, 20 5:41 pm  · 
2  · 
The_Crow

Sorry I was unaware, can post there if that is more appropriate.

Dec 8, 20 6:04 pm  · 
1  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

Your response is, was and will always be - tone deaf. Recognize the fucking moment, understand the importance of representation, and the fact that this profession has failed in all efforts at diversity. Moody Nolan may not rise to your idea of good design, but you are anonymous, and as such I would expect that if you have any balls, you'd say what you think as your real identity.

Dec 8, 20 6:11 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Hoo boy, kinda wish I'd seen the now-deleted comment. B ut I just love drama.

Dec 8, 20 7:32 pm  · 
3  · 

Moody Nolan may not be Herzog and deMeuron, but they consistently do great work and strive to increase diversity and representation in the profession. It’s a damn good choice for Firm of the Year.

Dec 8, 20 7:37 pm  · 
6  · 
The_Crow

Josh Mings, thanks for replying. I'm glad that you think Moody Nolan deserves the Firm of the Year award. I expected this type of debate when making the comment. By Archinect removing my comment there was left no opportunity for other users to explain to me why they do deserve the award. Censorship is dangerous, we should avoid it so that enlightening discussions can come out of disperate views.

Dec 8, 20 7:44 pm  · 
SneakyPete

A wounded ego being soothed with a blanket statement about censorship being dangerous -without any intellectual effort being attached- is dangerous.

Dec 8, 20 7:54 pm  · 
3  · 
OneLostArchitect

join the club. Have you visited Twitter lately?

Dec 8, 20 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Reminder: Censorship is only when the *government* silences your speech. Archinect can do whatever the heck it wants.

Dec 8, 20 10:33 pm  · 
8  · 
midlander

since the discussion has implicitly been brought up, let's have it:

moody nolan deserves the award for exemplifying a model of practice that supports employees of all types while providing consistent high quality design services for their clients. the award is a practice award, not a design award. good design isn't necessarily remarkably looking - for many situations it will be plain but reasonable.

most of us agree with the generic statements that good design makes the world a better place to live, and there is much more to architecture than pretty images. so this is an award based on those premises.

Dec 8, 20 11:29 pm  · 
9  · 
The_Crow

This is great, thanks Midlander for sharing your opinion.

Dec 9, 20 7:25 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

To add to that, I’d say “pretty image” architecture has a very small impact on our daily lives, and due to its high cost it will likely never be more than an anomaly. “Good affordable design” however can become the norm if enough firms and developers embrace that goal.

Dec 9, 20 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

JLA - providing 'good affordable design' is what 90% of architects provide. Very few architects will work on, let alone design high end, high budget projects. 

My statement is for North America because I do not have experience with architects and other parts of the world.

Dec 9, 20 2:41 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I might catch some blowback for this but I don't think 90% of architects do "good" work.

Dec 9, 20 3:58 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

You can be firm of the year and not do fancy-schmancy work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Dec 9, 20 2:19 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Now that x-lax and randomguy have spoken up I'm sure this thread will end in a timely manner with all parties having achieved a satisfying sense of closure. 

Dec 9, 20 1:33 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Always happy to help!

Dec 9, 20 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Crow - you're not being censored you pearl clutching ninny.  

Dec 9, 20 2:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: