Archinect
anchor

Career crisis: need help exploring related options

TedMosby
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is having a nice day. I am looking to receive some help regarding my further career and happiness. So I am in the middle of getting my Master of Architecture degree, but it honestly feels like I am so burnt out from architecture already. The past 3 years I have interned at a firm which gave me so much anxiety and depression that I just nearly burned out at the end of the final summer and finally left early due to health issues - both physical and mental. I wanted to leave since day one but it was still experience and a job, so I kept going back.

Now the obvious answer is to try another firm, which I am in the process of applying to others - specifically larger ones. However, even the thought of working in the field again and all my current school projects just fill me with dread and sadness.

Please help me in my journey to explore what will make me happy. I am more miniscule-detailed than is healthy for me, as I was also designing MEP systems and my literal diagnosed OCD would drive me crazy making sure everything lined up to the closest fraction of an inch. I don't think I could spend the rest of my life so panicky about such close numbers, whether it's architecture or engineering design. I am a very extroverted person and would love to interact with people and be social rather than staring at a computer screen 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week; talking about ideas, designs, meeting with people, things like that. I would also consider myself to be a good business person, as I am persuasive but relatable. It just seems like such a depressing field, and everyone is so quick to flaunt what they have and put down others; some might call it cutthroat, but I just call it not sustainable.

I starting looking into related fields like real estate, but I’m not sure if that would be a good option or not and I am also not aware of any other opportunities that may exist since I am just now beginning my search. I also don't know about job availability nor about using my M.Arch degree to transition.

Any help would be lifechanging. Thank you all so much.

Nov 15, 20 1:49 pm
apscoradiales

Seek medical help and go on a long vacation - drive across the country a few times. Maybe you'll find something else to do which may make you happier. Good luck.

Nov 15, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
TedMosby
Thank you for your comment. I actually see two therapists now and have been working on myself but unfortunately I haven’t seen too much progress since this is still such a soul-sucking part of my life. And oh boy I totally agree about the long vacation! But unfortunately with my masters program and work, I don’t really have the opportunity to do that at this time
Nov 15, 20 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Driving across the States is better than any Masters, imo.

Get to know your home, and meet a few people. Hint, mid-western, and western folks are the simplest, and friendliest people you can meet. Real Americans, imo.

Nov 15, 20 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

And if you drive south you will encounter real Mexicans, but if you drive north you will meet real Canadians, imo!

Nov 15, 20 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's up to you to make these opportunities happen.

Nov 15, 20 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
urban_choice

Construction management? Requires mostly organisational, persuasive and people skills, but design skills are an advantage. Many more job opportunities than design as well. I tried it for a short while (and I only have a bachelor’s in architecture), but I’m an introvert so the constant stream of meetings, calls and people demanding things from me drove me crazy :)

Nov 15, 20 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I share some of your obsessive traits.  One of the worst is the mistaken belief that everything and every possibility must be known in advance before any decision is made.  At this stage you're not marrying any potential job, so keep asking around (urban_choice gave you a good suggestion), talk to a few (not a hundred) people, and try another job or internship that sounds interesting.

I'd wager that conquering indecision and getting unstuck is probably more helpful at this stage for you than finding just the right job.  The suggestion to drive across the country may be a really good one at this point.

Nov 15, 20 10:13 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

^ Agreed. Don't allow yourself to become stuck at such an early age. Inertia is a tyrant.

Nov 16, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Stax

Questions first:

1. What aspects of architecture and design do you like/love?  

2. What drew you to the profession and studies?

Nov 16, 20 4:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: