Archinect
anchor

Door infront of a stairs?

HobbyArchitect

How do you feel about a door just infront of a stairs? Is it against all architectural sence, is it scary or unsafe somehow...?

Should it be like this instead? 

Nov 15, 20 1:31 pm
natematt

That would not be to code by most non-residential codes. 

Not sure about residential, but based on the houses I've been in, i'm guessing there are ways to do it...

Nov 15, 20 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Found this on the internet. Study it...

Nov 15, 20 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Too small to read the text though.

Nov 15, 20 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

You sure are picky for wanting free consulting services.

Nov 15, 20 4:17 pm  · 
2  · 

Can you read the text?

Nov 15, 20 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Text doesn't matter much; the door location does, and that's what you were looking for. Right?

Nov 15, 20 4:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Aps, see HobbyArch's history... aka does not know much about architecture so don't expect your obvious example to work here.

Nov 15, 20 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Hobby also likes to ask for free design services then argue that the advice that he is given is not correct. It's a waste of your time to try and educate the person.

Nov 15, 20 6:27 pm  · 
2  · 

apscoradiales: I know some villas have stairs down to the basement with stairs right after the door, I just don't know if people think it's ok between the ground floor and second floor.

Nov 17, 20 7:31 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

its not ok, it doesn't meet the codes. Just because they use to do something does not mean we should continue to do so

Nov 17, 20 11:21 am  · 
 · 

My rate for design consulting is $120 an hour.  Pay me and I'll consult on your stair layout,

Nov 15, 20 2:36 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

Does this guy have his hobby architecture license?  If not, may I suggest a username change to Hobby Designer.

Nov 15, 20 8:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

I believe he is in Sweden. Architect is not a protected title there.

Nov 17, 20 11:14 am  · 
1  · 

That's right.

Nov 18, 20 8:22 am  · 
 · 
archinine
What do think the odds are that this is another Rick pseudonym
Nov 15, 20 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

zero

Nov 16, 20 1:42 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It is up to code if you put a revolving door in the middle of the halfway landing

Nov 16, 20 1:44 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...Chad Miller

Hobby also likes to ask for free design services then argue that the advice that he is given is not correct. It's a waste of your time to try and educate the person..."

Not true. That's what my teacher in grade school told me. She was wrong; I turned out just fine, lol.

Nov 16, 20 8:45 am  · 
 · 

I wouldn't say you turned out just fine.

Nov 16, 20 10:47 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i think it's ok if you use gullwing doors

Nov 16, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 

I asked the same thing on another architecture forum and a person said it was ok to make it like that as long as you have a stair on the top right infront of the door. The person was not rude at all. Weird ha.

Nov 17, 20 7:23 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That person does not value their skills. Also, it may be permitted in some area, but like everything else you've posted, just because it's feasible does not make it a good idea.

Nov 17, 20 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

aren't you the guy that keeps spinning around with sketched plans for the dream house. Dude its been a couple months and you are still on the schematic plan? And since it is "hobby" and imaginary, why do you care about that stupid door in front of the stair. Its not like you got no "money" to spare on your imaginary house. Anyway back to the actual question.

whether it is permitted depends on where you are. If you build it in middle east/Africa I bet you can even have no stair and use rope to climb. The concept itself just looks plain stupid to me. If you don't have the space for a landing, just take the damn door off so people can see the stair before stepping on it. If you were distracted while opening the door, or were a guest of the house, you could easily step into the lower tread and fall.

Nov 17, 20 8:54 am  · 
 · 

This is another house. Only about 2700 square feet. 

I can easily move the door if it's necessary. I just thought it would be nice if the door to the balcony is included on that floor.

The idea of the house is that you can rent out the second floor when the children move out. 

Nov 17, 20 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

wow, why you talk like a real architect trying to solve real practical problems for a real client. You are even talking about scenarios of renting out the second floor when the children move out. I thought you were doing some imaginary house as your "hobby"?

Imagine during desk critic, you tell your professor that you are thinking about renting out the 2nd floor of your dream house design. That is a joke only arch students can get. We don't even discuss what kind of wall you will have and you are imagining renting out 2nd floor after the children move out?

Nov 17, 20 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jay, granted this does not remove any of the deserved criticism towards HobbyArch, but turning projects into rental spaces and calculating construction costs, mortgage, ROI, etc was part of my arch undergrad. Big help when I got into the working world.

Nov 17, 20 10:15 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Ohh that is definitely not my under grad. We don't talk about code or construction stuff in studio. It is forbidden to bring those into the academic bubble. Things like budget are thought as constrains for people's creativity. If you bring those realities in, it will be frowned upon as a boring project. It is all about the big concepts, ideas, pretty presentations. Of course different schools have different pedagogy. If you ask me, you really need to learn those design thinking, the real stuff can be learned through practice. If not, you are going to be thinking about those stair doors when doing imaginary house design instead of focusing on forms, function, spaces, circulations, natural lights, views, assemblies, materials, etc.

Nov 17, 20 12:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Yep, we already hammered that "design over mundane details" to the OP on her last visit to the forums. To clarify my earlier points, my undergrad and master programs (both different schools) ran business and building tech electives alongside studio that allowed this sort of interaction with reality. I did have one crazy sky-hook-filled design project were I needed to present to investors proper ROI tho. Nothing like trying to bring fun design items into real-world $ terms.

Nov 17, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Jay - my undergrad education had had building code, detailing, zoning, and budgets in our studio classes.

Nov 17, 20 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Are you this rude to your clients as well?

Nov 17, 20 11:09 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Nope. You are, in this very narrow definition of the word, special.

Nov 17, 20 11:44 am  · 
 · 

I would use the word 'touched' .

Nov 17, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 

You guys are special too.

Nov 18, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Another thread that turns into whataboutism.

Nov 17, 20 1:23 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

That's not what that means. We've discredited your design because it's bad design. The reasons as to why is bad have been very straight-forward.

Nov 17, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

but what about whataboutism

Nov 17, 20 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

This thread is about doors infront of stairs, not more than that.

Nov 17, 20 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Stairs are required to be designed to the building code of the jurisdiction they are built in. They form a vital part of the exiting in case of emergency for the occupant of the building. Find the building code for your area and read it. Than you can imagine your occupants getting out safely when there is a fire.

Nov 17, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You might have more luck on hobbyarchinect.com

Nov 17, 20 1:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Indeed.

Nov 17, 20 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

What are codes?
(Is it like that in Sweden too?)

Nov 18, 20 7:10 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Most of the US uses the IRC for residential building codes. This is the relevant section: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IRC2018/chapter-3-building-planning#IRC2018_Pt03_Ch03_SecR311.7.6. A door as you show is not allowed. Though my house, and many other older houses, have a door there.

Nov 18, 20 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Read on a Swedish forum now that there apparently isn't really any laws about stairs in private houses. Odd since Sweden often have laws about everything. :-)

Nov 18, 20 7:15 am  · 
 · 
midlander

to be honest this is how it is in every american single family house i've ever known, so i think everyone's just having fun with you. it's probably fine - except of course only the local code matters, not what we say.

Nov 18, 20 8:16 am  · 
2  · 

Hobby - Sweden has residential building codes that govern the design of stairs.

Nov 18, 20 9:58 am  · 
1  · 

Not doors infront of stairs.

Nov 18, 20 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Yes it does.

Nov 18, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Not when it comes to doors infront of stairs in private villas in Sweden. I learned that from the other diskussion forum now.

Nov 18, 20 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Well if its on an internet forum it must be true! Don't actually go look in a real building code book or anything.

Nov 18, 20 11:35 am  · 
 · 

That would mean that what is said on this internet forum is false as well. And what makes you say the rules wasn't posted on the forum.

Nov 18, 20 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

All that matters are the codes thats are legislated by your local authority having jurisdiction.

Nov 18, 20 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

I probably should leave OP be but I am genuinely curious. You do your dream house design as hobby, which is totally OK, not many people can actually build a custom house. You have no client, you have no actual project to be built, you have no plan to be an architect. Instead of spending time and focus on actual design ideas, diagrams, drawings, renderings, actual presentable stuff to illustrate your dream house. You are here arguing over that useless door in front of stair issue. What are you gonna look at next, Door hardware? Kitchen sink size? Are they valid design concerns? Absolutely, but for your imaginary house?

I actually want to see you in the studio class. What you present for final review will be a surprise for sure.

Nov 18, 20 12:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Sorry for being interested in architecture and having it as a hobby. I guess I should take a f-ing pottery class instead, and be just as boring as anyone else. Sorry for being on this forum it will never happen again. Am I allowed to look at architecture tv-programs though, or is that against the law or something.

Nov 18, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you still have not learned much from the interactions here. What you show is not design nor is it really architecture. It's just generic space planning. We're actually pushing you to look at this with a minimum amount of creativity but all you do is ignore it. That's ok tho. I have hobbies too which I'm not particularly good at. The difference is, you don't want to get better.

Nov 18, 20 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

You misunderstand completely and you don't know me. Jävla rövhål.

Nov 18, 20 12:31 pm  · 
SneakyPete

drawing floor plans isn't architecture; it's drafting.

Nov 18, 20 12:33 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I think we're all pretty much aware of what you are and what you're capable of.

Nov 18, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sometimes I simply miss the drafting, too much architecture going on...

Nov 18, 20 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Uncalled for Hobby, I can read Swedish

Nov 18, 20 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

wow OP calm down, not sure if you are responding to me. "Sorry for being interested in architecture and having it as a hobby" Dude can you read? I am just curious why you spend time on those useless issues when it serves you nothing. You can't do a full CD set, you are not planning to be an architect. Why bother to learn codes and door in front of stair kind of useless stuff? When that actual construction day comes for your dream house, hire an actual architect to do those things for you. Just hand them your grand design and let them do it. I just feel like you are derailing your "architecture hobby" here buddy. Several months in, still on schematic plan, different one too. Don't tell me you think you can forum post your way to finish the whole CD set, it won 't happen buddy. You could not even finish SD stuff yet.

Nov 18, 20 1:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Hobby - you've lost all respect here with your insult. You've lost even more for being a coward and doing so in a language you assumed we don't speak.  Don't call someone a fucking asshole and expect people to be kind to you. I suggest you pack up your fragile ego and leave before you get your feelings hurt even more.

Nov 18, 20 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 

I have already answered all of that but you still don't get it.

Nov 18, 20 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
proto

architecture school isn't a safe space -- expect to get painfully frank criticism

Nov 18, 20 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Jay1122 has good (and good-faith) advice above. Snark aside, the fact is that it doesn't matter. You seem to be getting lost in the weeds to the detriment of your "hobby" flourishing. Don't worry about it, go create space and have fun.

Nov 18, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: