Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review - Entry-Level Architect - SoCal

Hello everyone, 

I am currently applying for my first post-graduation job in the Los Angeles area. Just wanted to see what you guys think of my portfolio. I have sent a couple dozens of emails and was able to get one interview, which did not go so well. I am not sure if this is because of the current times or if it's simply because my portfolio is not quite there yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all. 

https://drive.google.com/file/...

Nov 8, 20 2:35 pm
apscoradiales

Many times - even most of the time - it's not a question of how good or bad your portfolio is, it;s a question of how expensive you are.

In my opinion, it looks good.

Salary and other benefits are an obstacle for employers as well as employees. Maybe the timing was wrong; maybe the job they were hoping for didn't come through. Keep trying, and good luck.

Small thing in your portfolio - tranverse is actually spelt transverse. Could be different in US. Doubt very much if the interviewer noticed.

Nov 8, 20 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I don't know. If they like a person, and the person isn't wildly off on price, they'll give them the money or counteroffer. I don't think think the price point is usually the problem.

I'd be curious to hear what went poorly? Obviously if when they started talking money it went south then that would be something, but it sounds more generic. Market seems rough right now for fresh grads, so good may not be good enough. 

It's not bad at a glance, but I think it lacks really punchy images. A few really good renders, or cool model shots, or something in there could really spice it up. As far as the ideas go... dunno TLDR. 

Nov 9, 20 4:23 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Why do you think it went bad?

Nov 9, 20 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
It does look very meh in a currently very competitive employee market. Are you also seeking visa sponsorship? That tends to severely limit options. The second one with the bio isn’t helping you, if anything it’s off putting due to the paragraph alignment. It doesn’t tell me anything. I think the idea behind the resume timeline is nice but not executed as well as could be. Use more of the page. Make the years bigger. Is this intended to be viewed as a book two pages at a time or only on screen as single page? Organize and layout pages accordingly.
in general the imagery is very zombie rhino gray and feels oddly default settings. Put some personal style and flair into it. I don’t see any personality in this. It’s also unclear what these projects are for, are they all academic? Were some done in an office during an internship? Is the ‘startup’ firm you mention at the top of the resume timeline an internship or a light euphemism for your current post grad unemployment? Is there actual real work associated with it? Consider adding some basic info to the projects such as date, where it was completed, etc. the very last page of images are exceptionally default settings and feel like you’re just throwing stuff in to fill up pages. Lots of random images along the way with no text or titles to tell me what’s going on. The last page of the portfolio with your contact info etc should be used to replace the stretched text bio page. Add some cover imagery if this is to be a printed document. Doesn’t have to be a building/drawing/architecture just some kind of graphic showing your own style. If you don’t have something take a break from sending applications and sketch something up.
Overall it’s just very blah and needs some energy to it otherwise it’s going to get lost in the mass of email attachments most firms are getting these days.
Nov 10, 20 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The little circle around the dot for Young Talent on p.3 isn't centered properly.

Nov 11, 20 3:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: