Archinect
anchor

what next?

designermom

I work for a well established, smaller firm that has been around for over 40 years. The owners are both 75. I love working for a smaller firm. Well, that changed yesterday. The owners had a mandatory zoom meeting in which they told us that they are now in partnership with a much larger (130 people) firm. This larger firm has a bad reputation for being a sweat shop. I have been bummed ever since they told us. I am seriously considering going rogue. My question is, what would it take for me to start my own business? I have my Master's and am licensed. I am not insured and really don't have any business contacts. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

Nov 7, 20 9:35 am
Non Sequitur

depends on the nature of the partnership: is it a one night stand type joint venture for a specific project or is it an acquisition?

Besides that, first thing you need if going out on your own are clients so consider how you’ll market yourself and what networks you already have. 

Nov 7, 20 10:54 am  · 
 · 
designermom

It's an acquisition. They have been working on this since May. 

Nov 7, 20 11:03 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

If you have to ask a group of anonymous internet strangers, you're very likely not ready to go out on your own (and be successful). Obviously I don't know your personal or professional circumstances, but it sounds like you're not very experienced and/or haven't had very much exposure to running the actual business. If that's the case, then I couldn't imagine going out on my own, especially in times like these. It's pretty amazing that you'd even consider it, honestly - but again, we don't know your circumstances. Maybe you can tell us more.

Nov 7, 20 11:27 am  · 
2  · 
urbanity

is there someone you know that you could partner with? if you are good at putting out the work, someone who is good with getting work would be beneficial along with good communication skills.

Nov 7, 20 12:08 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

designermom ,

take a sabatical for a few months, a year, to figure out your next step.

I was going to suggest to travel to see the world, but the virus has killed that idea. get a camper and drive across, up-and-down USA. Check out your country - I assume you are from US.

seriously...!

Nov 7, 20 3:30 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Building on what others have said:

1. See if the sweatshop reputation is accurate as you work for them during the transition.  Maybe it'll be awful, maybe wonderful, maybe something in-between.  Take a little time before declaring your outta there.
  2. During that transition, take Urbanity's point and start asking around, discreetly.  Maybe one of your current colleagues has a similar idea.
Nov 7, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: