Archinect
anchor

What's Cooking?

tduds

*bump*

Early in this thread I posted last year's anniversary dinner. It's been another year, and I made another dinner. Instead of just going balls to the wall fancy, lately I've been trying to land on a theme and build a menu around that. This year my idea was "dumplings." 

My wife *loves* dumplings, of all sorts. From gyoza to pierogis to dough balls in chicken soup. Fun thing about dumplings is literally every culture has one. So, for this year I picked a few and made a series of small plates. Five in all.

xiao long bao w/ spiced soy reduction.Image

lobster + avocado wonton. persimmon. nam prik pao.Image

'chicken + dumpling' roasted game hen leg with a boiled cream dumpling. pureed pan drippings + aromatics. english peas.Image

duck confit + wild mushroom ravioli. acorn squash puree. persimmon + red wine jus. parsley + caper salsa.Image

sour cherry vareniki (russian pierogis). mascarpone. honey. mint.Image

Also had some drink pairings, but I didn't photograph them. 

Nov 15, 21 1:52 pm  · 
10  · 
randomised

Great idea to build a menu that way!

Nov 15, 21 3:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Wow! Looks amazing. The food itself, but also the photos. I'm not sure people appreciate what it takes to get good photos of food. I had forgotten all about this thread! I've been on a Keto diet for a few months (the first rule of Keto Club is that you have to tell everyone) and I'm really drooling over those dumplings--

Nov 15, 21 5:12 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Thanks! I've been practicing my photography as well as my cooking.

Nov 15, 21 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Those look wonderful!   What's your address? =O]

Nov 15, 21 7:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Just seeing this now but this course looks amazing, esp the vareniki! Oddly enough my Canadian Ukranian grandma always used term pierogi... Any of the drinks/pairings particularly noteworthy?

Dec 19, 21 11:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Happy Thanksgiving! What are my fellow Americans (or ex-pats) cooking today? 

My mother in law is making a relatively traditional meal. She's a good cook so it should be tasty. I love traditional (or creative) Thanksgiving food but thanks to my keto diet my gut can't handle carbs without blowing up like a balloon so I'll have to resist my favorite sides. Her specialty is pies-made from scratch, with lard--so I'll be saving (or exceeding) my carb allowance for a generous slice of that! 

Nov 25, 21 9:40 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Pumpkin pie? Fed-ex me some leftovers.

Nov 25, 21 9:56 am  · 
2  · 
curtkram

i'm spatchcocking a turkey. half ended up in the oven over a mirepoix for a gravy base and half is in a smoker.

Nov 25, 21 10:51 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Apple pie, Non--I can't believe I didn't include that important detail! Pumpkin pie is up there with the greats but you can't beat a good apple pie, IMO.

Nov 25, 21 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Curtkram, both sound delicious!

I just got word that my MIL's turkey is in the oven, filled with stuffing. She's good at cooking most things but I find cooking whole birds with stuffing inside is a good way to ruin the meat. I usually cook turkeys with a few lemons, lots of garlic cloves and a generous handful of fresh herbs. Oh well, at least there will be pie!

Nov 25, 21 11:12 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Vegan Turkey Jamaican Curry Style

Kaddu

Stuffing, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes
Nov 25, 21 10:52 pm  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

Looks delicious! We have the same red Creuset dutch oven. How was the vegan turkey?

Nov 26, 21 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

WG, it was delicious, I slow cooked this with cocoanut milk, and vegetarian broth, and it was completely infused. Perfect.

Nov 26, 21 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

this thread = ridiculous

Bravo!

Nov 28, 21 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This year was my first time heading up the feast. Never roasted a thanksgiving bird before, but thanks to Alton Brown it turned out pretty good! 

Kept the sides fairly traditional: 

& finally, my favorite part of Thanksgiving, turning the leftovers into broth!

Nov 29, 21 1:35 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

can one of you successful chefs tell me the steps to effectively peel a hard boiled egg that doesn't end up looking like edward james olmos?

Dec 9, 21 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

I usually dump some ice cubes right after throwing away the hot water after boiling. Then wait for a bit till the eggs have cooled down some. Usually works...

Dec 9, 21 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
proto

so i've tried "older" eggs; the cool bath; rolling the eggs prior to peeling; tapping the shell with a spoon to consistently crack the shell into bits prior to peeling; not tapping

best practice so far is getting someone else to do it :) but i still can't do it predictably

Dec 9, 21 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto
citizen

It's true that the laminate-shelled, decimated HBE is the food version of the common cold. Unavoidable and low-stakes, but so danged frustrating.

Dec 9, 21 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

proto, my wife and I have a long-running debate about how to cook and peel eggs. I have a system that works pretty well, but she has tried to convince me that her way is better. She has sent me an article at least twice about her way but I never read it.

Well, I read your linked article and it makes sense to me, so I forwarded it to my wife. Her response: "THAT'S MY METHOD. THAT'S THE ARTICLE I SENT YOU!" Oops. Marriage...

Dec 10, 21 10:47 am  · 
4  · 
proto

Hahaha!

Dec 11, 21 9:23 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm really happy with how this plating turned out and I want to share it. That's all.

Dec 10, 21 11:55 pm  · 
8  · 
tduds

(also it was damn tasty)

Dec 10, 21 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Looks amazing!

Dec 11, 21 12:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Could’ve used a little more time resting before plating up, but I’m nitpicking...

Dec 11, 21 7:53 am  · 
1  · 
proto

Dang

Dec 11, 21 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm gonna guess lamb chops with honey ginger sauce, mashed potatoes with alliums and corn, braised sprouting broccoli and a balsamic reduction. How close am I?

Dec 11, 21 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Close, and very good guesses based on simply the photo. Herb crusted lamb, mashed celery root w/ thyme, wilted spinach, and a black ale reduction. All around a very 'British Isles' take on a typically french classic.

Dec 15, 21 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'd highly recommend making the beer reduction for any meat + potatoes dish. Super simple - a can of black ale and a tablespoon of molasses into a saucepot and reduce slowly (it will boil over very easily!) down to about 2-3oz. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar. Voila.

Dec 15, 21 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Oh good idea mashing celeriac! I've been missing potatoes (due to my keto diet) but celeriac would be ok. Black ale reduction sounds tasty.

Dec 16, 21 9:04 am  · 
1  · 
TIQM

Homemade cranberry sauce, house specialty for the holidays.

Dec 11, 21 11:46 am  · 
5  · 

Oooh, a Cranberry 3-way (dried, juice, fresh) version with citrus and dark chocolate is a long-time classic must make for me! Whats the yellow stuff/your recipe (pineapple)?

Dec 19, 21 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Hi Nam. It’s chunks of tart green apple, like a Granny Smith. And the other secret ingredient is small dice of orange rind. When that cooks down into the sauce, it gives it a wonderful citrusy taste that goes really well with the cinnamon and cloves.

Dec 20, 21 10:00 am  · 
1  · 

Ah, apple, I'll have to give it a try!

Dec 22, 21 1:00 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Tinga de pollo.  

Dec 15, 21 11:26 am  · 
3  · 
x-jla

steak pizzaiola…most people cook it fast.  I slow cook it for an hour and a half so you can eat with a spoon.  Brown steak, Sauté Roma tomato’s, onion, garlic, basil, red wine, return steak and simmer for 1 hour on low heat.  A little Parmesan…

Dec 15, 21 11:38 am  · 
2  · 

We plan on making this for Christmas dinner.

Dec 19, 21 11:56 pm  · 
2  · 
TIQM

Looks great! I’ll have to try that. I have a fantastic scalloped potatoes recipe that’s basically cream and a mountain of shredded Gruyere. Love.

Dec 20, 21 10:03 am  · 
1  · 

We made this for breakfast earlier this year and they blew my mind. All the delish of a souffle without any of the req precision...!?

Dec 22, 21 1:02 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I’m on a sweet potato kick lately.  

Dec 23, 21 11:01 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Usually I carmalize them in broiler, but was too hungry to wait.

Dec 23, 21 11:02 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

We do our formal, festive meal on xmas eve…roast lamb tonight

[xmas day is always leftovers in pajamas all day]

Merry Christmas, chefs!

Dec 24, 21 11:38 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Merry Christmas All!  

this is a super easy dish.  takes only 15 min to prep.

1 free range hen (only $15 from an under the radar a local guy in SGV area of LA)

lemon, rosemary, olive oil, layer of potatoes to cook in chicken fat.

While the chicken is in broiler, sautee the chicken liver and heart as an appetizer.  Just add salt and pepper.

The great part is all the leftover bones went into the pot for soup and has more flavor than a reg grocery store chicken with all the meat on.

Dec 25, 21 2:33 pm  · 
3  · 

this is going into the oven. relatively thin roast so I had to improvise a way attaching to a rack. but i first deboned it put some fresh herbs in between and bundled the bone back to the meat. no  doubt it will be good for two of us and next to cream of spinach from scratch. there’s horseradish and stuff too. simple stuff. christmas day 5:00 pm, los angeles. this is a meat heavy thread so i think it’s ok to post. joyous xmas and happy healthy new year everybody!

Dec 25, 21 8:15 pm  · 
5  · 

I’m bit of a cowboy with meat. 

Dec 25, 21 9:23 pm  · 
7  · 

My cooking mentors are Julia Childs and Jacques Pepin.

Dec 25, 21 9:35 pm  · 
5  · 
proto

I just want to tell you that looks perfect!

Dec 30, 21 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

My Italian bread is getting better…

Dec 27, 21 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

to go with my bread…chicken soup with acini de pepe…

Dec 27, 21 9:34 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

section view

Dec 27, 21 9:48 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Nicely done!

Dec 30, 21 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

cold day…

Dec 27, 21 10:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Any Michael Pollan fans out there? I'm on a tear recently getting through his entire library, absolutely love it. While I consider myself already a fairly conscious eater, i find i am getting even more interested in the background/sourcing of what i buy now. Ive seen some valid criticism on certain points to his work, but overall, hes fast becoming one of my favorite writers.

Dec 30, 21 8:39 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Belated response--yes, I'm a Michael Pollan fan--Omnivore's Dilemma was one of a few books that changed how my wife and I view food, from growing to eating, which led to us leaving our small city and buying an old farm so we could grow more of our own. I've been eating a lot of meat as part of a Keto diet but now that I'm close to my goal weight I'm scaling back on meat and working toward getting back to a plant-based diet.

Feb 19, 22 9:07 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

pizza 

Feb 18, 22 10:35 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

No pineapple? boo urns

Feb 19, 22 12:26 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

Of course not, otherwise not allowed to call it pizza.

Feb 19, 22 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Quite the opposite Rando. I'd say, with certainty, that a pizza without pineapple is a waste of dinner.

Feb 19, 22 11:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

so you don’t eat pizza, that’s okay…it’s a tarte flambée with tomato sauce(!)

Feb 19, 22 1:57 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Don’t make me come up to Canada and put ketchup on poutine

Feb 19, 22 2:19 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

this is the distraction I need.

Feb 19, 22 3:10 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Quality content.

Feb 21, 22 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think my most controversial food opinion is that I'm ambivalent about pineapple on pizza. It's fine. I wouldn't order it, but if someone else got one I'd happily eat a slice.

Feb 21, 22 2:32 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

only feel sorry for those burnt basil leaves

Feb 21, 22 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I cooked the basil into the sauce. It’s not burnt. The other green is broccoli rabe that was sautéed in olive oil and garlic…

Feb 21, 22 7:28 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

I usually put some fresh basil on top, but I ran out

Feb 21, 22 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

And made that sauce from fresh tomatoes that I roast in the oven. Tip: instead of boiling to remove skins, it’s easier to half them, place them face down, drizzle with olive oil, and bake at 350 for 45 mins. The skins pull right off, and it removes most of the water…

Feb 21, 22 7:33 pm  · 
4  · 
tduds
Made Peking Duck (well, a variation on it) for valentine's day. Everything from scratch except the Hoisin Sauce. Really really happy with the results.

Feb 21, 22 2:37 pm  · 
8  · 
randomised

impressive!

Feb 21, 22 5:00 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Looks great!

Feb 21, 22 7:34 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

That looks delicious.

Feb 22, 22 3:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Yum! I’m a sucker for duck anyway but that looks really good.

Feb 23, 22 7:53 am  · 
1  · 
jacksparrow1

Now this is the thing I love. I love to cook food and my most favourite is sushi made up on pink himalayan salt blocks. I have these salt slabs in all the possible sizes.

Mar 19, 22 8:31 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Last nights food.   Lentil, kale, potato soup in a with some spicy smoked paprika meatballs (not shown)   

Mar 31, 22 10:50 am  · 
3  · 
x-jla

Sauté red bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes in olive oil…salt, pepper, smoked paprika, coriander…deglaze with chicken stock… emulsify in pot…add lentils…add chicken stock and potatoes. Simmer for 60 mins…add kale towards end…you’re welcome

Mar 31, 22 10:54 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Meatballs: dice up 5-6 slices of white bread, soak in milk, add one egg, grated onion, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chili flakes, pine nuts, parsley, 2 lbs of ground beef or mix 1/2 with pork, cover baking dish in olive oil and some soup…pan fry til brown, put in baking dish and bake at 400 for 20-25 mins. Skip frying if you want and bake for 35-40 mins.

Mar 31, 22 11:00 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Trust me…white bread sounds low brow…but it’s the key.

Mar 31, 22 11:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

chicken cacciatore and risotto.  

Aug 15, 22 6:19 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Question for the gallery:

I have a favorite comfort food (described below). The name it has always been referred to by, at least in my family, is one that we didn't used to realize but now know includes both a racial and sex/gender slur, so my mom and I are looking for a better name for it.

The yummy, yummy dish is made by combining eggs and creamed corn and cooking to a consistency somewhere between typical scrambled eggs and creamed corn, then adding chopped up cooked bacon (or bacon "bits" from a bag if you're lazy).

What would you call this?

Aug 15, 22 9:22 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Whatever you call it, call me when it's ready!  It sounds amazing.

Aug 15, 22 11:15 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

How about corn custard? Scrambled corn? Corn scramble? Corned eggs?

Aug 16, 22 9:28 am  · 
2  · 
curtkram

is it this? https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/corny-scrambled-eggs/

Aug 16, 22 10:55 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Really nice Tomatoes from the garden, roasted with a little olive oil and pealed…used to make some sauce…

Sep 12, 22 12:35 pm  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

While I love the idea of cooking, I can't stand doing it in practice. I just ordered a bunch of those Huel powders, and I'm going to try out using those as replacements for cooking my meals. Anyone else have experience with these things?

Sep 15, 22 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

You should probably consult a doctor. I don’t think that’s good for you.

Sep 15, 22 4:57 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Easiest and healthiest food if you don’t like cooking…raw vegetables, boiled eggs, sardines, etc. Tons of simple things that are way better than that ultra processed stuff.

Sep 15, 22 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Not that brand, but I have twice been on all protein shake diets (for weight loss) and still drink a lot of protein shakes.

Things to look out for:

• Make sure you're getting enough total calories - there's a reason extreme weight loss programs use all protein shakes; it's because drinking 2000 kcal/day of all shakes is actually kind of hard.
  • Check the micronutrients in your shakes - you might need to take supplements.

As x-jla said, it's probably better to find some "easy" foods in combination with some shakes than to do all shakes.

Sep 16, 22 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Also a cooking-phobe here, sadly. And I love the idea of it, too. But not enough patience and persistence. Thank heavens lots of other people are wonderful cooks!

Oct 19, 22 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Been wanting to make this Somali crepe-ish thing. Flavors of cardamon and ghee, yum!

Lately also been doing a bit of extra "cooking" and preserving, of the last fruits and herbs of summer.

Sep 16, 22 12:27 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Broccoli rabe, ricotta, frittata…15 min meal

Oct 16, 22 12:31 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

15 minutes for you, a day-and-a-half (plus relationship counseling) for me. It looks scrumptious!

Oct 19, 22 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Empanadas de Pino Chilenas

Oct 17, 22 10:21 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

empanadas

Oct 17, 22 10:23 am  · 
3  · 
x-jla

pizza.  

Nov 3, 22 7:20 pm  · 
3  · 
x-jla

sfincioni.  This would be my last meal.  

Nov 6, 22 9:55 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

Started the baby on real food this month. So far just simple purees. One main ingredient and a little bit of seasoning. It's so much fun to watch him discover taste! 

So far he loves pears, sweet potatoes, white beans and beets (oh the mess!). Only outright rejection was broccoli, but I'm gonna keep working on that one.

Highly recommend this book:

Nov 7, 22 1:18 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

Take it from a 4 time veteran…go easy on the fruit and heavy on the vegetables. We made that mistake 3/4 times and 3/4 of them were super picky toddlers who only wanted sweet flavors.

Nov 7, 22 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 

Ours was def preferential to berries, preferably blue, only for first year or so of eating. Not lately though. Doesn't touch them.

Nov 12, 22 11:21 pm  · 
1  · 

Anyone trying anything new/special this year for Thanksgiving? For us it's ordering the pie from local baker. Seemed more reasonable as there will just be 4 of us this year.

Nov 22, 22 10:50 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'm trying Thanksgiving with Covid-19 taste buds.

Nov 23, 22 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but... thanksgiving is in october?

Nov 23, 22 11:19 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

For maple syrup guzzling, labatts swirling, hosers. Yes.

Nov 24, 22 6:56 am  · 
2  · 

We refer to October Thanksgiving as "dressing rehearsal." Or the turkey round-robin.

Nov 25, 22 2:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

a robin-stuffed turkey? Sounds... interesting. Keep me some leftovers please.

Nov 25, 22 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Or that I could attend legit thanksgiving dinners on three separate days that weekend...

Nov 26, 22 11:17 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

This year we broke down the turkey ahead of time and cooked the legs separately - slow-braised in red wine. Roasted the breast day-of. Only took a about 90 minutes in the oven, and the dark meat was the best I've ever had. Highly recommend this method.

Nov 28, 22 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

Tried a squash/curry soup, pretty amazing stuff. Curry, cayenne, cumin, cinnamon (just a little), and sage. Insane.

Nov 28, 22 1:04 pm  · 
2  · 

@beta hopefully feeling better?!

Nov 28, 22 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

We also did a curried squash soup as an appetizer. Just a little mug for sipping. With a mushroom + swiss puff pastry thing on the side. Super good! I love thanksgiving.

Nov 29, 22 11:17 am  · 
2  · 

Bumping in honor of US Home Cooking Week ... otherwise known as Thanksgiving.

Nov 21, 23 11:45 am  · 
3  · 
citizen

Not to brag, but I made my famous Crispix cereal with store-bought blueberries today. I can jot down the recipe if anyone ambitious is interested.

Nov 22, 23 12:13 am  · 
3  · 

We (wife and I) always go out for Thanksgiving. Yes, we're that couple. ;)

Nov 22, 23 9:57 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

My wife and I are making roast pork loin (from a pig we raised) tomorrow, for ourselves. On Saturday we'll bring roasted veggies and a cheese dip to a family gathering.

Nov 22, 23 10:45 am  · 
1  · 

We skipped cooking this year and went for dim sum. Probably first time in all my adult years I didn't cook a full spread but totally loved it/such a treat!

Dec 16, 23 12:36 am  · 
2  · 
x-jla

My future Sister in law made these.  My favorite treat.  They looked way prettier before I demolished the plater…

Jan 23, 24 11:58 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

what are they? Also, where you been these last 6+ months?

Jan 23, 24 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Hey! It’s pistachio baklava. I’ve been on a social media break. family tragedy and been busy at work so I’ve been filling my free time with less stressful things like family and hobbies and less media in general.

Jan 23, 24 9:12 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: