Archinect
anchor

What's Cooking?

tduds

Our garden is erupting with delicious greens right now. We can barely keep up!

I made a simple little salad with baby romaine, mustard greens & celery, sourdough croutons, parsley, and roast chicken thighs. Yum.

May 23, 21 11:28 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

*bump*

Early in this thread I posted last year's anniversary dinner. It's been another year, and I made another dinner. Instead of just going balls to the wall fancy, lately I've been trying to land on a theme and build a menu around that. This year my idea was "dumplings." 

My wife *loves* dumplings, of all sorts. From gyoza to pierogis to dough balls in chicken soup. Fun thing about dumplings is literally every culture has one. So, for this year I picked a few and made a series of small plates. Five in all.

xiao long bao w/ spiced soy reduction.Image

lobster + avocado wonton. persimmon. nam prik pao.Image

'chicken + dumpling' roasted game hen leg with a boiled cream dumpling. pureed pan drippings + aromatics. english peas.Image

duck confit + wild mushroom ravioli. acorn squash puree. persimmon + red wine jus. parsley + caper salsa.Image

sour cherry vareniki (russian pierogis). mascarpone. honey. mint.Image

Also had some drink pairings, but I didn't photograph them. 

Nov 15, 21 1:52 pm  · 
8  · 
randomised

Great idea to build a menu that way!

Nov 15, 21 3:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Wow! Looks amazing. The food itself, but also the photos. I'm not sure people appreciate what it takes to get good photos of food. I had forgotten all about this thread! I've been on a Keto diet for a few months (the first rule of Keto Club is that you have to tell everyone) and I'm really drooling over those dumplings--

Nov 15, 21 5:12 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Thanks! I've been practicing my photography as well as my cooking.

Nov 15, 21 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Those look wonderful!   What's your address? =O]

Nov 15, 21 7:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Happy Thanksgiving! What are my fellow Americans (or ex-pats) cooking today? 

My mother in law is making a relatively traditional meal. She's a good cook so it should be tasty. I love traditional (or creative) Thanksgiving food but thanks to my keto diet my gut can't handle carbs without blowing up like a balloon so I'll have to resist my favorite sides. Her specialty is pies-made from scratch, with lard--so I'll be saving (or exceeding) my carb allowance for a generous slice of that! 

Nov 25, 21 9:40 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Pumpkin pie? Fed-ex me some leftovers.

Nov 25, 21 9:56 am  · 
1  · 
curtkram

i'm spatchcocking a turkey. half ended up in the oven over a mirepoix for a gravy base and half is in a smoker.

Nov 25, 21 10:51 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Apple pie, Non--I can't believe I didn't include that important detail! Pumpkin pie is up there with the greats but you can't beat a good apple pie, IMO.

Nov 25, 21 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Curtkram, both sound delicious!

I just got word that my MIL's turkey is in the oven, filled with stuffing. She's good at cooking most things but I find cooking whole birds with stuffing inside is a good way to ruin the meat. I usually cook turkeys with a few lemons, lots of garlic cloves and a generous handful of fresh herbs. Oh well, at least there will be pie!

Nov 25, 21 11:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Vegan Turkey Jamaican Curry Style

Kaddu

Stuffing, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes
Nov 25, 21 10:52 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Looks delicious! We have the same red Creuset dutch oven. How was the vegan turkey?

Nov 26, 21 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

WG, it was delicious, I slow cooked this with cocoanut milk, and vegetarian broth, and it was completely infused. Perfect.

Nov 26, 21 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

this thread = ridiculous

Bravo!

Nov 28, 21 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

This year was my first time heading up the feast. Never roasted a thanksgiving bird before, but thanks to Alton Brown it turned out pretty good! 

Kept the sides fairly traditional: 

& finally, my favorite part of Thanksgiving, turning the leftovers into broth!

Nov 29, 21 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: