Archinect
anchor

Will my roof FALL?

Insert linkRedesigning a house for my parents. They want sloped roof. My question is how to keep roof together? It will be on top of 2 layered brick walls. Here is the thing, I have a great double height living room and would prefer to keep it open. Is there a way to have roof without adding those bracing joists? (see them highlighted in yellow and red). and If not, how do I calculate where and how often to place them? units are in mm. thanks! 

Bigger image of the joists and house here and here

Nov 2, 20 10:54 pm
Non Sequitur

that's not how roofs are designed.

Nov 2, 20 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

yup, that is not. is there a good guide on the subject? Neufert is rather limited

Nov 2, 20 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

did you not go to architecture school? Wood frame, rafters, bearing plates, etc, nothing complicated here... One thing to note here is that there is 100% certainty that those skylights will fail.

Nov 2, 20 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Don't forget the sexy overhang!  Though if it's for your parents, you might want to tone it down a little.

Nov 3, 20 12:03 am  · 
1  · 

never!

Nov 3, 20 12:55 am  · 
 · 
Koww

You have a PROMISING career in clickbait headline writing

Nov 3, 20 12:38 am  · 
1  · 

tnx! but both questions are valid non less!

Nov 3, 20 12:55 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Is there a way to have roof without adding those bracing joists?

Yes.

If you want more than that, I start at $180 / hour.

Nov 3, 20 1:22 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

+1 for using Rhino

Nov 3, 20 3:19 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

This might put you on the right track: 

http://www.sze.hu/~eptansz/Dep...

On a side note, what does your family think of sending you to such an expensive education in the States to become a famous architect and not even know the basics? I felt so embarrassed when I had to design an extension and renovation of my cousin's house and realised I didn't know a bloody thing about building, made him sexy diagrams and renders though...

Nov 3, 20 3:28 am  · 
1  · 

haha same issue! getting there tho..thank you for the book!

Nov 3, 20 11:48 am  · 
1  · 

I like this guy - he's a good troll. 

Nov 3, 20 12:14 pm  · 
1  · 

actually not even. trying to figure out my project!

Nov 3, 20 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Possible next thread after asking about wall damage and roof design: 

"Does This Look Infected to You?"

Nov 3, 20 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: