Archinect
anchor

rates

designermom

How much does a firm charge (hourly) to a client? I recently found out that they were charging $140/ hour for my services (I am licensed and NCARB certified). What percentage of that fee should a typical salary be? (I also opted out of the health insurance that they offer)

Thanks

Nov 2, 20 5:54 am
randomised

Around 25%?

Nov 2, 20 6:11 am  · 
 · 

Are you asking or telling? :P

Nov 2, 20 11:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Bit of both...I think I'm being paid around 25% of what they bill clients for my time, at least for the current project I'm doing for a municipality it appears to be like that. Just wondering if that's the going rate, or not...

Nov 2, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Fair question. I wonder if it has to do with where you practice in Europe?

Nov 2, 20 11:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

No clue to be honest, both time and financial management are not my forté...

Nov 2, 20 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Myself as well for the financial side of things. It's all magic as far as I'm concerned.

Nov 3, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

1/5 to 1/4 is the range you should expected as your take home hourly wage. The leftover is to cover office overhead, non billable staff, and corporate profits. 

Nov 2, 20 6:32 am  · 
2  · 

Odd - I've always been told 1/3.

Nov 2, 20 11:06 am  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

NS is adjusting for the looney.

Nov 2, 20 11:09 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

^ correct

Nov 2, 20 11:12 am  · 
1  · 

Darn Canadians and there fowl money. (see what I did there)

Nov 2, 20 11:56 am  · 
3  · 

I see what you did their.

Nov 2, 20 12:07 pm  · 
1  · 

Dad pun. Although I have no offspring.

Nov 2, 20 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You would do well to learn how much of your firms work is fixed fee or billed hourly.  Pretty much every office has an hourly rate sheet with some pretty high prices, but a much smaller percentage of us are consistently doing jobs for those rates.

If you think your firm is "charging high, paying low" and pocketing a big chunk of your billable rate as profit, you are probably wrong.

Nov 2, 20 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Also keep in mind that not every hour is actually billed to a project even if it is worked on a project. There are judgment calls made. 

Nov 2, 20 10:58 am  · 
1  · 

I understand this however it's a weird practice to have - especially when you use to justify to your staff why they are not being paid more.

Nov 2, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I bill all mine, but I can see it happening for those employees who like to clip their nails on company time.

Lots of fees are fixed or a hybrid and not hourly too.

Nov 2, 20 11:14 am  · 
 · 

I'd say 99% of our fees are fixed or hourly not to exceed. In my 13 years in this profession I've only encountered 3 employees who where 'clipping their nails' on a clients time. They didn't last long.

Nov 2, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

We've had a quite a few bad hires who goof off on company time. Lots of time in the kitchen making meals and snacks, reading the entire newspaper online, online banking, texting the bf/gf hourly, smoking a ciggy for 30 minutes every 2 hours in the parking lot, etc. etc. We will be revamping the hell out of our hiring and supervision process whenever COVID ends and we can add staff again.

Nov 2, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've only worked with two people who literally clipped their nails on company time. One was my former boss's right hand man, and ended up getting fired. The other was my former boss, who I ended up firing (aka quitting). Something about the sound of clipping nails just doesn't fit office culture.

Nov 3, 20 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I'm billed at $150/hr.  I bill approx 2000-2100 hours a year, and another 200 nonbillable.  So that's theoretically $300-315k.  They run our salaries off of 1750 billable hours.  I typically get a $4-5k bonus, which does not make up for the difference, and this year we won't be getting a typical winter bonus, though the summer $1k came through.  

Complications - sometimes we work deals for less than $150/hr and I often seem to get those...  sometimes we sign deals that cover less hours than we're going to take, which is a separate issue and treated differently, but could also be viewed as just working for less than $150/hr.  Sometimes (though rarely) we start on a project a couple weeks early and the deal goes south/unsigned... so I billed between 10-60 hours to something that'll never see money.

Nov 2, 20 11:10 am  · 
1  · 

I think architectural billing and fees are actually a form of voodoo.

Nov 2, 20 11:11 am  · 
 · 
gibbost

Billing multipliers typically range between 2.5 (for small 'lean & mean' firms) all the way up to 10 for some large or boutique firms.  I'd say most are in the 3-5 range--as suggested above.  (That includes myself).  Meaning, you can take your base hourly wage against the multiplier and arrive at a billing rate.  This assumes that most of the staff are around 90-95% billable.  Also accounts for admin staff (HR, marketing, accounting, reception) that are nearly all overhead.  Finally, it also covers fringe benefits and insurance.  I was once told that you can assume it costs a business nearly double your salary to keep you employed--with no profit.

Nov 2, 20 12:23 pm  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

Yes, the 2x salary just to meet basic expenses before profit is true at our firm.

Nov 2, 20 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Accountants will talk about multipliers. X=all expenses/payroll. It's more complex than that, but rule of thumb, muliplier of 4 is pretty damn good and under 3 not great. Kinda like batting averages in your beer league. 

Wild card, as mentioned above, is that not all your hard work ends up being billable. You are typically burning through a fixed fee, and whoever negotiated the owner/architect agreement made an educated guess on how much labor will be needed to complete a task. This is where a good PM makes all the difference in profitability. Nothing gets me more excited than hearing that there is no fee left before I even touched a project. Great job erryone!

Nov 2, 20 12:28 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

First time I ever had the responsibility as a PA to budget out a job, I flipped out because I approached it as an architect assigning tasks w/ what i thought were reasonable times, not an owner chasing projects. I took my work to the partner in charge of the project. He kind of laughed and said work it out backwards cuz that's the fee we've got and no one wants to be here overtime if they don't have to.

Wake up call to the way money came in at that firm. It is kind of funny money in a way. The partners just had to bring in enough quantity to cover salaries & rent and everything else was gravy. Labor was the magical quantity that just happened.

We did in fact get the job done and didn't really lose any money because of it.

Nov 2, 20 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

The typical direct labor multiplier (DLM) for an architecture firm is 3.0. What that means is that your hourly billing rate is typically targeted at being three times higher than your hourly direct salary cost to the firm.

That covers all the overhead associated with you being on payroll, additional firm overhead associated with operating as a business, plus whatever the firm's profit margin might be (usually 20 percent).

Some firms bill higher multipliers, some lower. Firms which do a lot of public projects tend to be lower, since governments cap rate multipliers below 3 in a lot of places (California is 2.6something?). Boutique or specialty firms may have higher multipliers.

Nov 3, 20 12:57 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Can you speak on the differences between NEM and DLM? I am unfamiliar with DLM.

Nov 3, 20 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

California is 2.6, but that is after adding benefits and payroll tax to the wage to get the true labor cost, so the multiplier from wage to billing rate ends up typically in the 3-3.5 range (or at least that was true last time I had to do project budgeting - with insurance premiums through the roof, it may be higher these days).

Nov 3, 20 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
dominiond

Thanks for this thread! Are there any resources for benchmarking utilization rates and multipliers in the industry based on firm size that people use? Also, how about fees per region? We are a 100 person firm so a tweener. My instinct is that our multiplier is a bit low: 2.95 and for our market (Mid-Atlantic U.S.-Philly to North Carolina) our fees swing wildly. I'm a new studio leader and constantly wondering why there is such a lack of transparency on the business of architecture when everyone is happy to show all their wares on design.

Nov 4, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 
midlander

this is too variable to make more detailed rules. in my previous large AE firm we had different multipliers for each of about 15 offices around north america and internationally. the multipliers varied from about 3 to 5, with the most expensive ones being a couple of foreign offices in high-rent city centers and the lowest ones being in texas and the midwest. so it has a lot to do with cost of office space and overhead in particular cities. there isn't a rule of what you're multiplier "should be". if your office can charge high fees while using low cost labor then you can operate with a high multiplier.

Nov 4, 20 7:07 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

utilization rates don't necessarily vary based on firm size or region but they should go lower for more senior positions. remember support staff and executive management (ceo, cfo, etc) are essentially staff with 0% billable time which small firms won't have.

Nov 4, 20 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I have seen that rent and how staff are deployed can greatly effect a firms multiplier and break even point. Several firms in my community have failed over the years because they got in to expensive class A high-rise office spaces and had a lot of ancillary people on the payroll who didn't contribute to producing the work.

Nov 9, 20 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
jodida

I manage a practice within a large multinational AE firm. Our multipliers are rarely above 3.0. My target when going after the projects is 2.75-2.85, and closer to 3.0 for change order initiated by the client work. But, our salaries are above average in the industry, but we don't get year end bonuses (only various performance based bonuses, that are not that big). Billing rates vary from project to project, and there is no one answer what the salary should be, but in my practice, someone that I can bill at $140/hour on most projects would be be making $85K-$100K a year. At the same time, it is NEVER that all the billing rates are just perfect on the job. Some people have better DLM, some are at the loss - as long as I can get a good average, I am good. 

Nov 8, 20 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
mmanyc

5x here in NYC for a small firm. But keep in mind we only bill additional services at this rate. A typical base fee for a project is a fixed lump sum or % of construction cost and the fee/hour can go waaaay down if we spend too much time on a job getting everything just so (which we are wont to do). Being able to actually charge the rates in our agreements is a rare benefit of perhaps the scope expanding or some other contingency.

Dec 30, 20 4:50 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: