Archinect
anchor

Code Research - Mixing construction types

lineman

Looking at a high rise project where the client wants to wrap the parking podium with a 5 over 1 stick built units. Based on my code research (2015 IBC) I see no reason that would not be allowed provided the 3 hr horizontal separation for the podium and the rated exterior walls required for <5' separation on both IA and 3B construction.

Any previous experiences with this? 

Oct 16, 20 4:37 pm
gwharton

Every architect in North America who has done a mid-rise multifamily project has experience with this.

Oct 16, 20 5:23 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

Are you saying you want to put wood frame construction on the podium deck of a separate high-rise structure?

Oct 16, 20 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

The Texas Doughnut 

Oct 16, 20 5:38 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

burn baby burn

Oct 16, 20 6:16 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

apartments are built out of match sticks. this is what insurance is for. don't include language like "set the building on fire" in your specs and you should be fine.

Oct 17, 20 11:12 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Currently working on a old 60s school building-apartment conversion in a small town. I don't do residential (single or multi fam) and neither does our office so it's a mystery why we're involved... but the site is in some backcountry small town where the sole building city employee told the client "just get a stamp this layout plan and you're good to go".... The fire-separation and framing plans + code review portion of this project is complex enough as it is but we have a client who keeps saying "they will approve anything, do we need to do that?". I guess that's why I'm involved.

Oct 17, 20 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

NS ....that is scary

Oct 17, 20 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

The client's lender and insurance company might have some thoughts about how the thing gets built. They might want it kinda built to code.

Oct 17, 20 3:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

crowd sourcing life safety online? Nothing can go wrong with that. 

Oct 16, 20 6:23 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Code consultant?

Oct 17, 20 9:26 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Non Sequitur;

"...it's a mystery why we're involved..."

$$$...pays your wages.

"I guess that's why I'm involved"...LOL. The trick to not wanting to work on a shitty job is to pretend you are busy to the point you even have time for a good shit. Try it next time.

Oct 17, 20 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

“There is always time for a good shit. “ - Gandhi

Oct 17, 20 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Indira or Mohandas?

Oct 17, 20 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: