Archinect
anchor

A mystery?

marsmatic

I recently purchased the item in the picture, an alleged Koh-I-Noor Astroscribe (item # 3000AS). After some investigation and emails with the former sales rep of Koh-I-Noor (currently Chartpak), it seems this item was never a Koh-I-Noor product.

The arm that holds the pen says "Rotring" but I have not seen this in a Rotring catalog. 

I am extremely curious as to what this is if it is anything ever used, once upon a time. Hopefully, someone here may be able to identify this thing and explain what it's intended use was.

Oct 15, 20 8:35 pm
curtkram

set your pen in that hole and move the ouija looking thing.  it gives you more of a solid, stable object to move around rather than just a light pen.  supposedly it's easier to draw more precise, but i don't think it ever worked.  

Oct 15, 20 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
marsmatic

I tried that. The pen is longer than the legs so the one leg closest to the pen lifts off the paper. If I loosen it, the pen is basically wobbling around. I assume you've seen this item before.

Oct 15, 20 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

maybe the size of a rapidograph pen has changed since this was a thing?

Oct 15, 20 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is like the orrery from Lovecraft Country. Careful, you might open a time portal if you use it.

Oct 15, 20 10:30 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

is it to make the pen always touch the paper at the correct angle and draw more consistent or perhaps to see where you draw precisely as your hand doesn’t hold the pen but this transparent gizmo? Not sure, never seen it or had to use it.

Oct 16, 20 2:49 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it was for lettering with templates

Oct 16, 20 2:53 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

But in the original picture it has just one hole and a kind of handle, don’t see how that works with the lettering template though...

Oct 16, 20 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you're right, it looks different, but those brass screws look like the pressure holders in compasses, maybe it's missing something.

Oct 16, 20 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Similar to Leroy lettering kit/gizmo?

Oct 16, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

rotring rapidographs used to have thread in the front and the back.

Oct 16, 20 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

See how the pen is on top of the device in this old one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOH-I...

Oct 16, 20 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

have fun googling "astroscribe"

Oct 16, 20 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: