Archinect
anchor

WDYD: Other streams of income?

dominiond

Hi all- In our market, it’s feeling a bit shaky so I am grateful for any request for proposal that comes our way. At the same time, I am feeling quite frustrated with the commodification of our services. The last straw was when I received a text from a developer who hasn’t rewarded me a project 3 times in a row saying I had the best ideas but my fees were too high but wanted me to help him arrange a tour - through some of my recent projects for the firm they gave the project to. I think I rewrote my reply 3x and was quite diplomatic about that my contacts no longer worked at the buildings. 

How do others handle this kind of situation? How do you still provide high design, limited scope/schedule  and make a profit? I’m already outsourcing to global renderers  since photorealistic is what is our market expects (we are in a major US city). I’ve reworked the project team and put contingencies in every phase. What other streams of income  do other firms create so you aren’t just relying on design fees? We are a small studio in a medium size firm so don’t have the deep pockets of the international firms.

Thanks all and appreciate any advice people have...

Oct 12, 20 6:48 pm
randomised

develop your own projects...cut out the developer-assholes that only see architecture as an excel sheet.

Oct 13, 20 2:10 am  · 
2  · 
proto

flip the model so to speak and hire the numbers guy & drive the bus with the design side

Oct 13, 20 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah because everyone has the capitol to be a developer . . .

Oct 14, 20 10:36 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

First off.... stop communicating with that developer... you are giving your ideas away for free and he is going to bring them to some CAD monkey that will draft them up for 14/hr. Sounds like this developer is walking all over you.

Branch out in different avenues, look at non traditional services you can also provide. I think in today’s climate you have to provide more than just design services. 

Oct 13, 20 6:44 am  · 
2  · 
Le Courvoisier

OnlyFans

Oct 13, 20 6:52 am  · 
6  · 
dominiond

ewww

Mar 11, 21 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

"How do you still provide high design, limited scope/schedule and make a profit?" 

Squeeze your employees harder. Overtime without extra pay. That's how other firms do it. You are getting closer to the root of the problems. Or you get clients/market that can afford to pay high fees. If you don't take it with low fee, other firms will take it and squeeze their employee. such a hideous field.

Oct 13, 20 8:50 am  · 

Don't do this.

Oct 14, 20 10:36 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I think the moral here is design only service is cheap and relatively easy.  Want more stability, convert to full service (design through CA).

Oct 13, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

"saying I had the best ideas but my fees were too high but wanted me to help him arrange a tour - through some of my recent projects for the firm they gave the project to" 

The developer wants you to give tour of buildings you did to the architecture firm that he awarded the architectural contract to? So the cheap production firm can steal your design ideas and make a similar replicate? I would politely tell him to fuck off.

Oct 13, 20 9:51 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

i'd just bring him to the worst projects and show him all the mistakes but tell him these were key to the projects success.

Oct 14, 20 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Why haven’t you all asked for a link to my OnlyFans? Cheap bastards. 

Oct 13, 20 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

I don't think OP has the goods to make it in that industry. Better stick with architecture.

Oct 13, 20 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'm still not giving up hope of finding a sugar momma.

Oct 13, 20 8:25 pm  · 
2  · 

I had hoped to land a rich doctor during my hospital stay, but alas no such luck.

Oct 14, 20 10:34 am  · 
1  · 

You've still got time Josh. You can do it!

Oct 14, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: