Archinect
anchor

After bachelor in construction management.

Bob2525

To anyone,

I will be graduating with bachelor in construction management- RICS accredited degree. I would like to just check what are the available paths for someone who is majoring in construction management to take up upon graduation ? 

I would love to transition back to architectural design track after a few years of working as I have some experience in designing and working for an architectural firm. I am currently not sure which track should I pursue as I have studied different areas of built environment based on my school construction management curriculum such as Quantity surveying, real estate, building fire safety, contract administration, infrastructure development and construction planning. 

What are the paths that would be suitable for someone's end goal is to design and construct building with technical background ?

I have read the forum and realized that the area of construction management has a better salary and life compared to architecture. I am not sure which exact specialization/area of construction management do people mostly work in?

It would be great if someone who is currently in construction management mainly anywhere around the world could enlighten me what are the paths and job prospects. 

Thank you.

Sep 28, 20 4:56 pm
newbie.Phronesis

Not in construction management, but if you want to build larger than houses in many countries you'll need to become an architect or hire one to finish+sign off your drawings. With your degree could take a M.Arch, just double check your state/province/country's laws if you even need to.

Could try running a design/build firm too. Cheers

Sep 28, 20 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bob2525

thank you very much for your advice, I would like to check if taking up M.Arch would provide a better prospect after working for a few years OR just stick with construction management and hiring an architect? I am not sure if first choice would be good choice as if you are licensed, you are legally responsible for may aspects of the project.

Sep 29, 20 3:20 am  · 
 · 
Bob2525

Also, do you have any idea of which track should in pursue in the area of construction management?

Sep 29, 20 3:21 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Midlander's post below has a good example, but afraid have no idea which track to pursue. But you should be legally responsible either as architect or CM if you're also the builder.

Sep 29, 20 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what’s RICS?

Sep 28, 20 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

royal institute of chartered surveyors

Sep 29, 20 2:16 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

british organization for what seem comparable to professional construction managers in N America

Sep 29, 20 2:17 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I got that surveyors thing when I googled it, but thought it was weird that an org also had an "accredited bachelors".

Sep 29, 20 10:42 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i don't know, isn't that how riba is too, a professional org that accredits degree programs? i could be mistaken, not my geography. chartered surveyor is a real and serious licensed profession in england and some former colonies, not just some job title.

Sep 29, 20 10:54 am  · 
 · 
midlander

there isn't really any single answer to this, you can do CM for a bit first snd see where you want to go next. An architecture degree would be essential if you want to go into architecture design. CM versus designer are extremely different jobs within the same industry.

i do know a very successful head of development for the international regions of a major commercial developer. he studied architecture, worked as a CM for many years and eventually made his way up to be in the position of selecting architects for his projects and hiring other architects to oversee the work. kind of the opposite of what you're describing but shows the potential for shifting roles once you've got experience.

of course he's also extremely smart and good at building support between competing parties - his particular strength is social/political not technical or design. not necessarily a skill learned in any academic program.

Sep 29, 20 10:28 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: