Hello From Melbourne Australia

Looking for a house similar to the photo

Built here 1896

Have not found anything like it so far

Sep 22, 20 12:42 am
Non Sequitur

That's not a house, 

This is a house:

Kangaroos get into boxing match on quiet Australian street - video |  Australia news | The Guardian

Sep 22, 20 12:53 am  · 
4  · 
Philmac

Non Sequitur

thank you for your very helpful and intelligent post, one which obviously reflects your intelligence level

Sep 22, 20 1:11 am  · 
1  ·  2
Non Sequitur

Strange, one could easily say the same about yours. The difference here is those people would be correct. Crikey!

Sep 22, 20 6:00 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Non, I'd say your image has uncovered the lack of humor in the OP.

Sep 23, 20 8:46 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

thanks B3ta. Can't understand what the wanker OP expected from such a dumb thread? Must be their first time on the internets.

Sep 23, 20 11:33 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

try a reverse image search

Sep 22, 20 2:46 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

It's a Victorian, of course.

Sep 22, 20 6:36 am  · 
1  · 
Philmac

Randomised, Have tried the reverse image but far too varied results and of course no match

Volunteer, Yes sort of victorian but the actual style is "queen anne revival, west coast american influence", a bit of a mouthful but that also somewhat describes the federation australian house which derives from the above.  According to a leading architectural historian here, it was built around 10 years earlier than would have been expected for Melbourne.  A theory is that a traveler had brought the concept from the west coast to australia and it was then built.

In summary, i am still seeking the origin of this design or another house "similar" in design

PS, Non sequitur, if you have nothing useful to say, then bugger off.

The moderator should remove useless trolls like you. I can only hope that you are the kangaroo on the right being kicked in the goonies!!

Thanks to the others for your sensible input

Phil

Sep 22, 20 8:08 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Not useless and not a troll either. We’re all big fans of kangaroos here.

Sep 22, 20 8:19 pm  · 
2  · 

OMG KANGAROOS

Sep 23, 20 10:47 am  · 
3  · 

Kangaroos are the best!

Sep 23, 20 10:53 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Yes sort of victorian but the actual style is "queen anne revival, west coast american influence" 

...so you know the answer . Why'd you ask?

Sep 23, 20 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Seems like the EAST coast of the US, especially Cape May and Ocean City, NJ, would be a likely influential source of this house? Victorians all over the place in the coastal NJ towns. The Cape May resort was very popular at the time the Australian house was built. 

Sep 23, 20 8:39 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Even Ocean Grove area.

Sep 23, 20 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"Victorian" is a time period, not an architectural style. Your image shows a Stick Style house, a mid-Victorian era style, in the US anyway. It followed Gothic Revival and Carpenter Gothic styles, and was a precursor to the more-ornate Queen Anne style and then the stripped-down Shingle Style.

Sep 23, 20 8:54 am  · 
1  · 

Here is an idea - bring the photo to a local architects office and HIRE them to do the research..  

It looks to me like it's a combination of dumbed down mid-Victorian molding and a Main beach home (kind of shingle style?) - complete with the widows watch. 

Kindly get fucked.  (that's the correct Australian way to properly sign off a correspondence right?)

Sep 23, 20 10:45 am  · 
3  · 
Philmac's comment has been hidden
Philmac

This forum confirms my long held belief that the graduatation ceremony for architects consists of a lobotomy

Never met a smart architecht in all my years of building

goodbye to the lot of you on this forum

apologies to the one or two of you with some good intentions,, the rest of you really are a pack of fuckwits

Sep 23, 20 11:20 am  · 
Non Sequitur

you've met plenty of smart architects right here in your dumb as fuck thread.

Sep 23, 20 11:32 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

good riddance mate!

Sep 23, 20 11:34 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

he probably has some shrimp that needs to be placed somewhere hot.

Sep 23, 20 11:38 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

"Never met a smart architecht" -Philmac

Sep 23, 20 11:47 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

I recently watched my cat play/torture a mouse for a while before finally killing and eating it. While I felt bad for the innocent mouse, it was important for the cat to get to express its nature. Not sure why that scene came to mind...

Sep 23, 20 2:11 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Looks like an ugly garbage 2x4 stick with vinyl siding. I only support modern. Why do you need to find another house look like that?

Sep 23, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's not your bag, doesn't mean it's ugly.

Sep 23, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"I only support modern." Well that's dumb.

Sep 23, 20 1:25 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

You try to tell me you would rather want the boring 2x4 if money is no object? God, no wonder Mcmansion still exists.

A typical 2x4, add some awning and roof balcony, probably the house OP wants.

Or this beauty. Link for extra stuff below:

Bluff House / Rob Kennon Architects

Sep 23, 20 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think you missed the point.

Sep 23, 20 1:50 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Also a straw man with a side of false equivalency.

Sep 23, 20 1:50 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I too can find the worst example of one thing and the best example of another thing and act like they're representative of the entire catalog in order to make my point, but it's dumb and disingenuous so I won't.

Sep 23, 20 1:51 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Volunteer or one of his cohort should be along soon to do it for you.

Sep 23, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Insisting on the supremacy of a single style, no matter the style, is dumb. Is my point.

Sep 23, 20 1:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

What are you suggesting? You are going to build a mid century palace with all the ornaments and sculptures? I actually have seen it done in a school donated by a billionaire. It was renovated like a damn royal palace with gold color sculptural decors. And developing countries actually love that. Trying to have a feel of the European royalty. Very stupid and nasty to me. Let history just be history and move forward.

Sep 23, 20 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

When you speak of preferring "modern" and then say leave history in the past you are exposing a deficiency in your understanding.

Sep 23, 20 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I'm suggesting that there are good houses of all styles, and also bad houses of all styles. I don't know why this is controversial or difficult to comprehend.

Sep 23, 20 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Hey Modernism is not a history yet. Even though they try to come up with POMO, deconstructivism, minimalism, parametricism, all the isms. I am still waiting for my mass produced machine of living like Corb dreamed. Not the cheaply built 2x4 sticks.

This TED talk says it better. I am just a peasant.

kate_wagner_i_hate_mcmansions_and_you_should_too

Sep 23, 20 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

A "modern" house with "classical" ornament like you describe would be absurd. Like a birthday cake with roast chicken on top. But birthday cake and roast chicken are both delicious, separately.

Sep 23, 20 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"I am still waiting for my mass produced machine of living like Corb dreamed." 5 over 1 apartment buildings, my friend.

Sep 23, 20 2:08 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Not these ugly wood framed apartments. They are not the machine Corb dreamed. They are the cheap knockoff. Something in the spirit of Pavillon L'Esprit Nouveau. Of course, metaphorically speaking. With clean composition, space, glazing, etc. POMO & Deconstructivism is more like rich kid's stuff after they got bored of modernism. Less is more becomes less is bore.

Sep 23, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"Metal buildings are the dream that Modern Architects had at the beginning of this century. It has finally come true, but they themselves don't realize it. That's because it doesn't take an Architect to build a metal building. You just order them out of a catalog - comes with a bunch of guys who put it together in a couple of days, maybe a week. And there you go - you're all set to go into business - just slap a sign out front."

Sep 23, 20 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Go make it yourself. What's stopping you?

Sep 23, 20 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Hey, I support prefab house. If the prototype design is well thought out, and construction well detailed, who cares if it is catalog stuff with no architect involved. It sure beats cheap 2x4 vinyl stick. Funny thing is, it can never beat those 2x4 vinyl stick in pricing. And the pricing of real estate is more affected by location and market rather than architecture itself. Even shitty Mcmansion can be sold for multi mils if the location is right.

Sep 23, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

You say "I only support Modern" but it seems like what you mean is "I don't like wood framed tract housing." The latter I can get behind.

Sep 23, 20 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm hopeful that the new timber codes will help retire the 5 over 1. They all look too similar, tired and uninspired. Put a metal screen on it!

Sep 23, 20 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

I would not build an European royal palace style house on this present day or mimic any old style. Or with modern invention, like the project of that Mark Foster Gage. It is cool and fun, but pure waste of money. Maybe I am just too poor to justify spending $$ on ornament while I can't even afford large storefront or green roofs.

Sep 23, 20 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

Modern architecture: Drawings parallels between two unrelated fields.

Vernacular architecture: Drawing from the past and making it your own.  

Sep 23, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"I only support modern".   You speak of 'ugly"?

Sep 23, 20 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

it's so beautiful in this state. needs some vines though.

Sep 23, 20 1:08 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

You're like the asshole who picks the worst photo he can find of a celeb he doesn't like to pathetically try and prove they're "ugly."

Sep 23, 20 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 

True beauty comes from the inside.

Sep 23, 20 1:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Speaking of which Look at this dumb article I just read.

What Neuroscience Says About Modern Architecture Approach

How dare they say The legendary Corb is autistic. 

Sep 23, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

What's wrong with being autistic?

Sep 23, 20 2:24 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: