Archinect
anchor

Pursuing a MArch career change?

cepa

Hello all, I graduated in 2007 with a business undergraduate degree.  After 13 years and several entrepreneurial endeavors, some successful and some unsuccessful, I have always had in the back of my mind unresolved feelings about not pursuing an architectural career.  At age 40, I currently have a limited partnership role in an industry that I have limited passion and personal fulfillment in although I have financial stability and possible greater future prosperity.  I have always been passionate about architecture and have drawn floorplans for fun as a hobby and creative outlet.  A few years ago I started looking into 3 year MArch programs for students with unrelated undergraduate degrees.  My current state university, ASU, is revamping their program for next year to include an online option and also greater flexibility for the in-person program for working professionals.  I could continue performing my current work duties doing about 25-30 hours per week and make enough salary to get by while going to school if I choose to do that.  I would have to take out student loans which at current rates could be 50-60k total.  Should I consider getting into it this late in the game?  I suppose my end goal would be to work independently with homeowners on custom builds or even additions to start out.  I could even do it concurrently while still doing my current business endeavors.  Should I get my beak wet first by studying CAD or another design software and drafting to see how I enjoy that first?  What is the best way to jump into learning those things?  Thanks for any input... 

Sep 11, 20 12:45 pm
newbie.Phronesis

It's not too late to start and it's great have a side job while studying, but if your end goal is to design homes don't really need an M.arch for that... If possible maybe take an architectural technologist diploma, or else the CAD, construction and any other courses that catch your attention. Should save you a bit of money and time too.

Or, if the M.Arch has introductory construction and software courses at start could also just take it and stop when feel learned enough. Good luck!

Sep 11, 20 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

What kind of homes do you want to do?

Like this:

or like this:

An MArch will help you do stuff like the second one, the first one not so much.

Sep 11, 20 4:06 pm  · 
2  · 
cepa

I would like to help clients with designing and creating blueprints for whatever their needs are. The vast majority, if not all, would be like the first home. I did start checking out some alternative certificate and associate level options for CAD and architectural technology and found some good options. They might take 1-2 years but cost less than 3k. Perhaps it would be better to start with that and get a feel for it before jumping right into the MArch program.

Sep 11, 20 4:53 pm  · 
2  · 
thisisnotmyname

That sounds good.  In many states, "traditional" (for lack of a better word) homes can be designed by non-architects.   A significant amount of an MArch curriculum is not going be applicable to the design of single family homes of the type that you aspire to do.  Much of the faculty will probably be hostile towards traditional aesthetics and feel the need to deride you and your work.

Sep 11, 20 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: