Archinect
anchor

Roof Line options

pvravi

Hello

There are two areas of my house that I want to put an expansion in and both areas have unique roof situations that I would like some help and possible options on. How might the roof look after modification in these situations? 

The first is at the front of the house that looks like so. This requires a bit of finesse to ensure that the front elevation of the house isn't spoiled (for example I can't put another 'California' roof on the new section to create an 'M' shaped roofline from the street. 

The size of the expansion is about 5ft depth by ~20ft width

The second is at the back of the house. Less of a 'street view' problem, but odd shaped, hence a different challenge likely. 

The depth (from left to right) is ~17ft. The narrow part of the width (from top to bottom) is about 7.5 ft. The full width is ~15 ft. 

Any help in terms of generic roof-line options in these situations is greatly appreciated. 

The roof is shingle. Rain water valleys would obviously need to be avoided hence the need to avoid an 'M' shaped roof.

Sep 2, 20 1:21 pm
Non Sequitur

have you considered knocking this ugly generic building down and burning the rubble ? More importantly, hire an architect if you want design advice. 

Sep 2, 20 1:26 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Mansard.

Sep 2, 20 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ It really goes with anything, doesn't it?

Sep 2, 20 5:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Hire an architect you cheap bastard. 

Go with a tensile and fabric roof .  

Sep 2, 20 1:43 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Free "professional" advice is worth what you paid for it, often less.

Sep 2, 20 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

First you must understand what "roof" is. 

Sep 2, 20 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Say to Shingle, "Shingle, what do you want to be?"

Sep 2, 20 3:32 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Sometimes you won't like what the shingle says.

Jupiter NEXT Portland Hotel Exterior | The Jupiter Hotel

Sep 2, 20 5:27 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

To which it replies, "Don't tie me down. I like being shingle."

Sep 2, 20 9:01 pm  · 
1  · 

Shingles on a reverse slope? I'm in love!

Sep 2, 20 10:11 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

It's not aging well, unfortunately.

Sep 3, 20 11:25 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Public service announcement: This is the work that people hire architects to do. Contact a few and shop around for someone who has a good idea of what you want to do, and a portfolio of relevant past projects.  Most will offer an initial consultation free of charge. Of course we do see people attempt do this sort of work for free on this forum, but those people are usually aspiring architect high school students, or unemployed hobbyists with little or no relevant experience.

Sep 2, 20 3:38 pm  · 
5  · 
Jay1122

Man why would you bother to do a tiny expansion like that. You have to knock down walls, do the footing, the expansion, the window, the roof, and for what? that little area gain? You don't think this is some weekend DIY job do you? 

Anyway about the roof, do a low slope liquid applied membrane green roof and put some plants on it. My favorite kind of roof. No gutter, do roof drains. Gutter is sin.

Sep 2, 20 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Came to the wrong place for advice, huh?

Don't put any roof - be different.

Waterproof the inside of walls and the floor

Sep 2, 20 4:34 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

Thatch. It can conform to any shape and as long as you don't mind re-roofing every year, you can probably do it yourself. And you should!

Sep 2, 20 6:25 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

If you need more information I know a few good books on the master of the technique Margaret Thatcher.

Sep 2, 20 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You omitted the critical comma: Margaret, Thatcher. 

(And wouldn't she be mistress of the technique?)

Sep 2, 20 7:49 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Next time I dig her up I will ask her.

Sep 2, 20 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Does thatch really have to be redone every year? I thought they just piled new on top of the old?

Sep 2, 20 10:12 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

How often thatch needs to be redone depends on how well it was done in the first place - since in this case it was suggested as a DIY project, annual replacement seems like a reasonable assumption.

Sep 3, 20 3:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Hips, gables -- you just pick one. What is a California roof?

Sep 2, 20 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

What else? Fake, in the sense that a secondary gable or other element is not framed integrally, but after-the-fact, as it were.

California Valley Sleeper Saw Blade Bevel Angle | Building a porch, Porch  design, Framing construction

Sep 2, 20 9:40 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Overframed. Got it. Thanks.

Sep 2, 20 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

just continue the roof down and dig a pit for the expansion

Sep 3, 20 4:39 am  · 
1  · 
lower.case.yao

Hey, I’m willing to take the sacrifice and bid in this work. Min-wage/hr can PM me.

Sep 3, 20 1:47 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: