Archinect
anchor

How to stay in touch with dream firm in pandemic?

Stew Dent

Hello Archinect,

Back in late February / early March I was progressing through a lengthy
but very sincere interview process with a dream firm. There were so many things that attracted me to this firm, and I am humbled they even paid travel fees for the interview at the time.  Then, all the stars I was
attempting to align at the beginning of the year just went haywire within a week or two after due to COVID...and shortly thereafter we all were (are) barely leaving our houses let alone states for jobs. In the conversations that followed I was told they would were putting a hiring freeze (very understandable), and that they would reach out if that changes. 

Originally I planned to reach out 3 months ago, but their city and state experienced an astronomical COVID resurgence at that month due to rushed reopening. Additionally, this is a larger firm...and many larger firms are making significant cuts at this time. I don't want to be tactless for not reading the room, but I also don't want to fade into obscurity.

My question is, for those of you on the other side of the interview
table at this time, how would you like prospective employees to reach
out / stay in touch during this very uncertain time? 

Sincerely,

The one that got away 

Aug 27, 20 11:23 pm
midlander

if you got the personal contacts of your interviewers just reach out (email) to them and ask how things are going, mention you're really sorry about the current circumstances but much enjoyed meeting and hope to keep in touch regardless of their current hiring needs. if you didn't get their contact info, ask hr to connect you and explain you enjoyed the interview and want to keep connected.

Aug 28, 20 1:33 am  · 
5  · 
mightyaa

^this... Basically, you want your name to be recognized when they start hiring again so they'll reach out to you.

Aug 28, 20 10:53 am  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

LOL, the only thing you can do is contact them and have them put you on the backup pile of resume to interview when the hiring resumes, which could be next year. Tell them you are eager to work for them even if it is a much later date. It is all about luck and their impression of you.

Aug 28, 20 8:36 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

You should reach out.  It is very helpful to the firm to know that you are still interested and the effort they expended to bring you in isn't lost.  When hiring resumes, it will benefit them to begin with candidates that they have already begun the process with, versus starting from scratch.  Also, do not assume they are not hiring.  COVID related disruptions are not affecting architecture firms in a uniform way, in other words, some firms are doing fine, and others are not.

Aug 28, 20 11:52 am  · 
2  · 

Definitely don't assume they are not hiring or that their hiring freeze isn't over or about to be over. We just made a new hire for a pretty significant new role. I don't know how long this was in the works, but probably happened mostly post-COVID shutdown. I had one firm reach out to me 6 months after I sent them my application for an open and advertised position wondering if I was still looking and wanted to come in for an interview. Sometimes things move slowly in architecture, sometimes they don't. Always best to keep in touch and keep options open.

Aug 28, 20 12:12 pm  · 
2  · 
robhaw

I can confirm what EA said above. Last summer I applied to a large A&E firm and they got back to me in February asking to interview. Sometimes, projects delay so recruitment goes on hold and some interviews can be speculative. It is definitely advisable to reach out to the senior people you interview with, follow/comment on their feed on LinkedIn, update them on your progress and indicate your interest in their company.

Aug 29, 20 7:40 am  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

Agree, I have seen mega-size international firms take several months to hire people.

Aug 29, 20 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

I wonder which firm is considered dream firm to you

Aug 28, 20 11:58 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

I think it’s probably incredibly important rn to demonstrate that you are self motivated being that many are working remotely 

Aug 28, 20 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: