Archinect
anchor

Transition from Architecture to Construction Management

przemula

Recently I got hired in new office (lost my previous job due to Covid-19) as an architectural designer. I've worked in a field for about 2.5 years, I've been an interior / furniture designer before that, also for about 2 years. I know that there's a few architects turned construction managers on this forum, could you please elaborate, how did you managed to land a job as a CM? I used to work on construction every summer till I was like 21, that actually gave me an edge comparing to my college friends - they didn't know anything about how things are getting built. Then I was being sent to job sites often in my previous job, performing various tasks. My current boss said in interview that she'll do that too, but it's gonna be 2 months soon, and I've done nothing but CDs. I don't like being stuck in the office all day. I miss the smell of the concrete in the morning. Earlier this year, I've sent my resume and cover letter to every CM position available, unfortunately no luck, but also - this was in February, right before pandemic hit. Any tips on what can I do to make this transition possible? Any courses I can take? I was trying to emphasize my construction site "experience" and my enthusiasm towards it, but I understand, that they value more people with actual CM experience. Also, just FYI I'm foreign, moved to US in 2015 right after graduation (that's why it took me almost two years to land a job in architect's office). Any help would be appreciated. P

Aug 26, 20 8:21 pm
Jay1122

Another guy that gave up the profession. Congratulation, you made the right decision.

Aug 27, 20 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Spiceman45

I've been doing CM for a bit now..I actually work for an architecture firm, but as a CM. Its great being able to be in my own world. I leave the office, not stuck on revit for 10 hours a day, learn business management skills, etc...I like to call it 'not turning toilets'. 

You honestly should be fine making the transition. Leverage your design thinking skills, you can save the client a lot of money knowing how and why things are designed and troubleshooting on the spot. Sure,you'll need to learn more about scheduling, budgeting, etc. but you can learn that on the fly. Almost every firm used microsoft project. Otherwise, I don't see why you would be nothing short of an asset in the CM world.

...btw..its not an easy gig..I'm actually looking to make my way out of the building industry..I'm smoked by it. 

Aug 27, 20 5:54 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Really? All the CM i worked with seems to be doing nothing important. Always pass the real problems to A&E to resolve.I thought it is an easy and good pay job.

Aug 28, 20 8:41 am  · 
 · 
athensarch

You’ve been working with the wrong CMs/GCs. IMO, if you wanted that type of job you should’ve gone for an OPM role. I’m pretty burnt out as well - 4yrs into CM. Biggest takeaway, learn when to push back. Most of my jobs the design team pushes their work onto us. The quality of the low-bid trade contractors you get stuck with directly impact your quality of life and sanity.

Sep 8, 20 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Spiceman45

i guess i'm just tired of always 'pushing back'. there is so much resistance in this industry, by subs, opms, architects engineer, clients...its really all resistance.

Sep 11, 20 4:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Spiceman45

Managing contractors is a world of its own. 

If you like talking on your cell phone all day then it is a good profession for you. You're pretty much the middle man between the subcontractors and A/E's. They are both calling and asking you questions all day, everyday. A lot of pressure is put on architects, but architects tend to put the hot poker on the construction management company. Its a trickle down effect

The pay is good. Many firms have great benefits too. But the stress is really intense. In architecture studios you're kind of left to do your thing, but in a CM firm you are the nucleus of the project so all the information is coming into you.

I'd rather be looking at the big picture, ie. developer, real estate owner

Aug 28, 20 9:55 am  · 
2  · 
architorture

Wow - Im glad to know that I'm not alone! I did the pandemic pivot to shift from Project Architect / Project Manager in architecture to a Construction PM very recently. My background is BA and MA in architecture with about 14 yrs experience. Probably the last 5-6 has been as a project architect doing CA in small to medium firms in NYC

I'm only 3 weeks in but the transition has been interesting.I'm having to practically mirror my previous thinking and expectations of the CA process. The GC owner has said he is more than happy to train me in more of the contractor type duties, and he actually wants me to wrap up my licensing exams in the next year so that within his company we can design as well as stamp our own drawings. I'm not sure about the liability issues that might arise from that but there is time to research, review my options, and figure that out the best solution.

I'm wondering if someone could suggest a book for newbie Construction PMs so that I can familiarize myself with more of the contractor side. 

I'm up to date on my 40HR OSHA so at least I'm on top of that...

Sep 8, 20 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Chuck71

There is a bit of overlap between Architects role and CM, it is just a different focus really from design to delivery.

But then again there is also an overlap between a QS role and CM!

If you want an idea of the skills, this course (2 years post-grad) offers to provide them: UCEM Construction Management

If nothing else I suggest looking at the course description and what the subjects are, which will give you a good steer as to what is involved at least on the academic side.

Sep 10, 20 6:29 am  · 
1  · 
BackAgain

There is a great book called Construction Management Jumpstart by Barbara Jackson that gives a really thorough view on the career.

Construction Management Jumpstart

Hopefully this link will work!

You can also look at the Construction Management course on Coursera that is taught by staff from Columbia University  as well as online courses from San Diego State University.

Sep 11, 20 4:08 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: