Archinect
anchor

Contract for building project

Tlogic

Hi, 

Got a question if you don't mind answering. 

As architects, when clients ( say domestic clients with no experience)  comes to you with a £100k or £200k project for example and they want a contract drafted with their builder do you assist your clients with this process ?

Thanks

Aug 25, 20 12:38 pm
proto

If they ask, I'd give some general advice, but would direct them towards an attorney. As much as I think I know, I'd rather not be liable for their personal legal contractual protection.

I've sometimes been asked to review a contract provided by a contractor, but usually I never see them. Only my lawyer clients tend to truly scrutinize the contracts that GC's hand them.

(my $0.02 as a primarily residential architect)

Aug 25, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I will add that I do talk to them about making sure the contract specifically references the scope of work described in the project documentation (not the GC's own estimate). I've had less scrupulous GC's try to add Change Orders because they missed something in the drawing set saying "that wasn't in my bid".

Aug 25, 20 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

I’m not sure what you are asking.  A builder will have their own base contracts that have almost certainly been originally reviewed by an attorney.  They will “bid” based off of the plans, but their own boiler plate language is typically not up for debate.  Clients have asked me to change my contractual language on a few occasions.  I won’t for 2 main reasons.  1. I’m not paying a lawyer to review the proposed changes for each and every project   2. I’m not a lawyer, and may miss something if I change it without a professional lawyers review.   Essentially, it’s my way or the highway.  By entering a building contract I am taking on an enormous liability.  One big project gone wrong can put you out of business.  

Aug 25, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Not sure how things work over there. Here in the US, the AIA publishes standard contracts, and it is quite normal for the architect to include them in the contract documents package.

Aug 25, 20 3:42 pm  · 
1  · 
melange restoration

Hi, 

Got a question if you don't mind answering. 

As architects, when clients ( say domestic clients with no experience)  comes to you with a £100k or £200k project for example and they want a contract drafted with their builder do you assist your clients with this purpose ?

Thanks alot

Mar 18, 21 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: