Archinect
anchor

Yellowstone Club

Volunteer

The Yellowstone Club, a private ski resort for billionaires in Montana near Bozeman has been in the news a lot lately with the uber-rich buying up most of the existing available house and condos for sale and even the ones under construction. This maybe the result of the covid virus and the non-stop rioting that is currently plaguing some of our cities. 

Until recently the Yellowstone Club has pretty much been a haven for 'mountain modern' architecture by some really good architecture firms. Lately though things have started to go, er, downhill.

Here is a recently completed condo building attached to the 'Warren Miller' lodge to the left which was the only existing eyesore in the development. It is supposed to resemble the Ahwahnee Lodge in Yosemite. The whole conglomeration looks like a fake Disney pastiche you would flee to Montana to avoid. 

Aug 25, 20 7:12 am
midlander

noted.

Aug 25, 20 7:25 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I don't give a fuck what these ultra-rich assholes want to build in their own special little enclave. Give em all the po-mo fake stone veneer and VOC's they can handle.

Aug 25, 20 10:49 am  · 
 · 
proto

Pretty sure the YC buildings have actual stone & proper timbers, even if the design work is a bit pastiche-ish

Aug 25, 20 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
not_NOT_an_architect

I know the Warren Miller lodge is by Hart Howertown and all those timber posts and beams are boxed out steel....

Aug 26, 20 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

the pinnacle of mediocrity

Aug 26, 20 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I mean... that whole building corner is pretty terrible. 

But I didn't pay for it.

Aug 25, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think that green roof is a bit much tho.  Now they are suggesting whole forested hills and snow-covered peaks on these things?  Who allowed that student to graduate?

Aug 25, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

care to show some of the "haven for 'mountain modern' architecture by some really good architecture firms"? in their webpage under real estate they show this

and then under custom residences they show this

although at the end of the opening video there's a glimpse of a "modern" building 

Aug 25, 20 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

1) mountain modern isn't a thing.

2) the yellowstone club is largely irrelevant 

3) most of the work going on in the yc is highly derivative. 

4) jerry locati fucked up ron burkles house and for a while jerrylocati.com was a hit job that burkle funded.  in other words, the clients are vengeful, petty assholes. don't do work in the yc

5) mountain modern isn't a thing

6) maybe 2 offices do good work, the other 15 or whatever are pretty bad.  

Aug 25, 20 5:20 pm  · 
3  · 
apscoradiales

Agree. Such developments should be banned from humanity.

Aug 25, 20 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The Yellowstone Club used to have a real estate section on its web page that listed about 15 or 20 residences for sale and a couple that were under contract. Now I think that all the homes and condos, except for one residence, have been sold. The realtors in Vail report that their sales are ahead of all last year right now. I imagine the situations in Telluride and Aspen are about the same. 

Anyway, you can go to the web sites of the architecture firms that do business in Montana such as CLB, JLF, Pearson, Locati, and Reid Smith and identify the houses they have designed for the Yellowstone Club members and other high-end developments. 

'Mountain modern' is characterized by wood, stone, and glass several steps away from the traditional cabin. The similarities across the different firms is striking. Don't know how you can it is not a style when even the architects designing the homes say it is. 

Aug 25, 20 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

mountain modern was invented by larry pearson as a marketing term to differentiate his work from locati, and the incestious cycle of western living writeups ---> firm marketing profiles ---> more western living writeups propagated the term. but there is no meaningful characteristic of 'the style' unless reclaimed oak facing boards, elk antler chandeliers, cor-ten steel accents, and low profile steel windows constitutes a style these days.

Aug 25, 20 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

^ Here are two houses by two different firms. But there are no similarities between the two that reflect the mountain modern style (which doesn't exist)? Interesting take you have. 

Aug 26, 20 6:45 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

honestly they look identical to literally every other house in the club. some houses use natural timbers and wood framed windows. others uses hewn timbers and steel framed windows, but everyone looses their fucking mind and calls that "mountain modern". it isn't a style, its an exercise in spec writing

Aug 26, 20 8:51 am  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

Well, the Second Empire is an exercise is spec writing also. Not really sure of your point, but, whatever.

Aug 26, 20 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

The two aren't even remotely similar

Aug 26, 20 10:44 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

having no "concept" and having no "style" are different things Dangermouse. As hideous as I find these things, it's pretty clear they are of a consistent style. I wouldn't call it "mountain modern", maybe "faux pastiche bourgeois cabin," but you can't deny they are consistent.

Aug 26, 20 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

since i cant post images here, see below

Aug 26, 20 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

poor billionaires having to look at eyesores, hopefully some avalanches will wipe out the entire development and the assholes in it...but if any of the billionaire assholes needs an architect, they can contact me through archinect! 

Aug 26, 20 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

mountain modern is a marketing term invented to distinguish this house

and this house

from houses like this 

but its all the same!  just because one uses blued steel on the chimneys and low profile windows doesn't make it mountain modern!!! its a marketing term mindlessly repeated by 'lifestyle' magazines like 'mountain living' and 'big sky journal'.  as for the style? faux pastiche bourgeois cabin works.

Aug 26, 20 12:48 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

i see no difference.

Aug 26, 20 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

oh wait, glass guardrail. and yes, the boxy chimney forms.

· 
Dangermouse

they are absolutely the same. but the bottom one is called "mountain modern". which isn't a thing

Aug 26, 20 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

"mansioncabin"?

"cabinmansion"?

"rusticatedmansion"?

"westernamericanpalazzo"?

"10,000sflumbersexualpiedaterre"?

1  · 
archanonymous

pied a terrible

Aug 26, 20 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I did a small guest house ( 3000 sf ) down there about 20 years ago.  I met Pearson and Locati, nice enough guys and the Design Review committee who were pushing a very traditional mountain style then.  Nothing I would call modern, really quite traditional yellowstone lodge-like if I had to describe it.  Most of what I saw was carried out in a substantial and significant manner, not to everyone's taste but executed skilfully which is nice to see.  Awesome building lots though with great views and aspect, hard to fuck up those.

Aug 26, 20 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

the craft level and skill of the carpenters and other tradespeople @ the yc is extremely high, its true. rocky mountain west is probably one of the best places to be working as a tradesman atm.

Aug 26, 20 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
not_NOT_an_architect

We did an interiors job here and would stay at one of the client's other properties on site when we went out to visit. The enormity, exclusivity, and sheer wealth of the whole thing was quite shocking to me and I could never really get over the idea that the whole thing was fundamentally immoral. 

That being said, the project was super fun to visit and work on. I agree with others on the level of craftsmanship here. All the construction managers and trades we worked with were great and proud of the work they were doing. 

This would be my YC report card:

• Design: C
  • Craftmanship/Build Quality: A
  • Income inequality: F 
Aug 26, 20 9:33 pm  · 
1  · 
Dangermouse

many of these houses have live in caretakers who do things like laundry, keep the fridge stocked, coordinate fresh flowers and making sure if there's a family birthday, there's cake etc etc.

the thing is, this happens every week, regardless of the owner being there or not!  un-used beds are laundered, flowers are thrown away and replaced, entire pantries of exotic and expensive ingredients thrown out...just in case the owner shows up, it all has to be kept at the ready!!!  some owners visit once a year, or less...and every week someone is buying hundreds of dollars of caviar and steak, only to throw away the stuff from last week

Aug 26, 20 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
lower.case.yao

Apparently modern means higher % window wall ratio now. Anyway, I'm just jealous these firms are making bank.

Aug 26, 20 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: