Archinect
anchor

Questioning work/study choices made

Jaetten

Questioning choices. 

I've completed 4 years of an Interior Arch' degree, 1 year into the RIBA Studio course and 6 more years study to go + Part 3. I'll be 39 before gaining professional qualification and have 13 years of university combined study. It'll be another 5 years before I could consider having my own practice. I'd be 44, but lets go back a step, I'd be 39 before earning a 'grown-up' salary and have only ~25 years of career before retirement.

On top of that, a further 7 years of study alongside working is time lost with family and dependence on others for employment etc.

I could take a 1 year 180 credit MA Interior Arch (totalling 600 credits for both degrees), be 33 and 11 years ahead in terms of career and not feel like my previous 4 year BA is wasted. I'd also earn more before retirement (36 years of career vs 25) and have a more affordable life, with less student debt!

Give how fickle employment has been for some with this pandemic, I'm seriously considering the second option. 

Am I crazy subjecting myself to a further 7 years of study?

Aug 13, 20 8:36 am
Non Sequitur

What is the meaning of this word " retirement".  I've heard other people use it before, but it's completely foreign to me.  Maybe it's some sort of old english thing.  Perhaps latin?

But to your point, more education is not always the best answer.  Who knows what shit's going to look like in 5+ years and it's hard to leave midway when you've already sunk $ in tuition. Were you not looking to move across the pond?

Aug 13, 20 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Jaetten

At 65, I'm spending my morning on the lake and my days farming on my small holding.

Aug 13, 20 9:00 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

We were. However due to ties to the UK, it'd be a harder move. I was looking at Carleton for an M.Arch.

As I speak some Swedish, and have a few ties there, that's the logical choice as we don't intend to stay in the UK. I've contacted Sveriges Arkitekter, and they have informed me that if an MA meets the EU standard in either Architecture or Interior Architecture, I can apply for the professional titles 2 years post graduation. One of the reasons for the MA Interior Arch' is the bulk of my student debt is in that path. To date I've only spent ~3k on the RIBA Studio.

I think I'd be happier that way. I'm working on the viability for this at the mo.

Aug 13, 20 9:09 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

well, you'd get an arch license in about 5y total if you made the move.  3y for the M.arch + 2ish for experience and exams if you time it right.

Aug 13, 20 9:14 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

I think it warrants a viability study for both options and costs associated etc - I've got to do what's best for my family, rather than solely looking at myself in this.

Aug 13, 20 9:31 am  · 
 · 
TED

Since with RIBA studio, you are working in practice. Architecture and Interior Architecture are not alien - when I was at SOM, we had Interior Architects who came from both arch/interior background. In a practice like SOM building were often considered furniture and very important how language of outside/inside material and detail were the same.  I personally would opt for the quick route to Sweden - that sounds heavenly - UK will be a bit dire for the next 5 years.  RIBA route is painful at times - the work is competent but lacks passion, drive and innovation.  Sorry - have been to reviews and just my opinion. Why wait til 65 for that holding?

Aug 13, 20 10:00 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Minds made up. I'm applying for a 180cr Interior Arch' Masters in the UK, or a 240cr (120ects) Design MA in Sweden. Might apply to both to be fair. 

2 years experience post grad and I can register with Sveriges Arkitekter and gain the professional title.

Aug 18, 20 5:57 am  · 
2  · 
TED

Congrats! Keep us informed on your progress -

Aug 18, 20 8:06 am  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

Application made to UK MA course! Fingers crossed! They want a portfolio as a powerpoint file when requested, so that's next on thy list

Aug 18, 20 8:37 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

let's hope you can just simply convert pdf's made in almighty indesign to ppt

Aug 18, 20 4:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Jaetten

An update to this:

I was accepted for a January start on an Interior Arch MA, however unsuccessful on the scholarship application, which means I'll need to transfer to Sept 21 start and part time for it to be affordable. 

Further discussion and due to the work that my wife can do, given she only speaks English, has made us reconsider Canada. We'd probably go Ottawa, if we do. She is an author/poet and studying publishing and much more employable in an English speaking job role.

I have been in contact with Carleton and they recommend that I should apply for the M.Arch 3 year stream, however it may be decided that the 2 year option is applicable given my previous study and work experience - I haven't got hopes up for this, it there is a small possibility.

Feels like I am back to square one... I don't think I'd be happy in the long run if I am restricted to Interior Design only. Looks like CA and M.Arch is the best, but I have a year to decide which.

Nov 11, 20 5:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: