Archinect
anchor

$100 quick challenge for anyone interested

tduds

I'm working on a novel. There's been a fair amount of criticism, much of it warranted, that I'm looking for free copywriting. 

So, let's shake things up a bit. 

$100 to anyone who suggests a specific new sentence, or word, for improvement which finds its way into the final published novel.

The criteria:

1. The idea must fit the existing plot and themes which I haven't told you about, and won't tell you about.
  2. The word or sentence must not preclude other, contradicting sentences as I've already written those. Also you can't see those sentences. 
  3. The idea must not be in regards to plot or character development. The current plot is by no means final, or even created yet, so the idea must not be dependent on that.
  4. The idea must not be currently included or have been previously considered and excluded. You'll have to take my word on it since I'm not going to tell you which ideas I already ruled out.

I've loosely scheduled a meeting with my editor in late August / early September he's going to go through my word ideas, so we'll make that meeting the cutoff point.

Aug 10, 20 3:07 pm
Non Sequitur

How many words can be about Nicolas Cage?

Aug 10, 20 3:40 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

As many as you want, unless you want the $100.

Aug 10, 20 3:42 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Here's some research material for consideration:

and

Aug 10, 20 3:42 pm  · 
5  · 
atelier nobody

WTF, 2002?!?

Aug 10, 20 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
proto

specific word suggestion: "penumbra"

Aug 10, 20 4:03 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

An early leader emerges.

Aug 10, 20 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

alternate word suggestion: "perenium"

Aug 10, 20 4:54 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

SP - Tain't a word.

Aug 10, 20 5:14 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

SP doesn't stand for spelling, obviously. (great pun, though) "Perineum"

Aug 10, 20 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
proto

"he couldn't quite put his finger on the umbra or penumbra of his perineum...the fascination with its threshold held his mind for minutes and hours during the pandemic... but, hidden most deeply was the butthurt of losing the $100" [/fanfiction]

Aug 10, 20 6:25 pm  · 
3  · 
joseffischer

palimpsest

Aug 11, 20 11:21 am  · 
1  · 

"onomatopoeia" as the word itself, as well as using other words that are onomatopoeia.

Aug 11, 20 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Here are some products for consideration. I'll take whatever is left over of the $100 after you make your purchases. 

Aug 10, 20 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Alternatively, $25 for a box set, or download the PDF for free

Aug 10, 20 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

How Sir Mix-a-lot’s Baby Got Back informed Greg Lynn’s Blobitecture 

Aug 10, 20 5:07 pm  · 
3  · 
atelier nobody

In the back corner of the coffeehouse sat an architect, black turtleneck, small rectangular specs, laptop with AutoCAD LT 2007, and all. Now, an architect in the back corner of a coffeehouse in no rare occurrence, but this architect was searching the internet for some very particular information - architecture licensing requirements in non-extraditing countries.

The previous week hadn't seemed to start off particularly worse than most, but by about noon (11:57 to be precise) on Monday it all started to come apart...

<pleased continue>

Aug 10, 20 5:26 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

no.... black rimmed circular specs. :-)

Aug 10, 20 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

start your own fucking if you don't like atelier's, dipshit

Aug 10, 20 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Don't take things so seriously with your shitty attitude.

Aug 10, 20 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

take a fucking hint and stay the fuck off a forum you've been banned from a half dozen times

Aug 10, 20 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

If there was an architecture forum that is still active that is a good alternative to Archinect I would check it out. There are aspects of this forum I do like despite all disagreements and debates. Part of it is the topics that are discussed. Some of the others out there are too dead, dry, or otherwise lacking something... not sure the words. I'm not necessarily interested in just an online magazine. I'm talking about a discussion forum. Blogs don't exactly replace the discussion forum aspect of Archinect. There are blogs of course and I know sites that are WordPress type blogs. Some of them are good but for discussion and chatting.... not necessarily so. 

If there is a good Archinect alternative with the qualities I am looking for then maybe I wouldn't be here. It has to be active, not active once upon a time ago, and haven't seen a new post or comment in years. I'm not entirely interested in creating such a forum myself. I don't want to be tied up with the administration and moderating of such a forum. I do occasionally visit the Building Codes forum but it's very focused on building codes.

Aug 10, 20 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You do realize that there are other people on the planet besides you, right?

Aug 10, 20 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

I would think that getting tied up with the administration and moderating of a forum would be perfect for you Balkins.

Aug 10, 20 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

SneakyPete, I do know there are other people on the planet. I have run dial-up BBSs, web forums, etc. in the past. A very small percentage of users on web forums ever go through the effort of creating a web forum. Only a small percentage lasts awhile. Archinect has been around for nearly two decades. There simply hasn't been the pressing need or drive of architects to create web forums. It isn't exactly a computer field profession where it is kind of a rite of passage to have your own web server, forum, BBSs, etc. It's not in the culture, you know. Archinect was established to fill a need that wasn't there in the 2002-2004 timeframe. Aside from some disagreements on the details of certain topics or specific issues (albeit often greatly misunderstood), this has been an overall decent forum. Sure, there are squabbles and disagreements. 

Aug 10, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Would you say your participation has been a net positive in this community?

Aug 11, 20 1:24 pm  · 
Aluminate

Balkins you've berated others for staying here after others expressed annoyance with them, even going so far as to yell and swear at a high school kid ("SHUT THE FUCK UP. The people on this forum do not like you and they basically told you to leave. They don’t care about your opinion because of you think you are entitled. When it comes to the internet, you are not entitled to anything. This is NOT a democracy...") That kid may have been "basically told to leave" by some - but he wasn't kicked out. You on the other hand have officially been banned multiple times, and are on your 4th or 5th alias at least, and counting, and yet you claim entitlement to be here on the basis that you can't find another forum that suits your own personal needs. You've not only been asked to leave but forcibly ejected several times, so take your own advice already and realize you're not entitled to be here.

Aug 11, 20 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

SneakyPete, maybe. Every person here has there own opinion.

Aug 11, 20 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

If we take a poll, and the opinion of the majority of respondents is that your participation is a negative, will that be enough for you to leave? If you're ordering a high school student off the forum on the basis that people here don't like him, the same logic should apply.

Aug 11, 20 4:54 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

If you take a poll, make sure 80-90% of all the users registered on this forum take the poll, not just some small percentage of users that are just a bunch of loudmouths. If it wasn't clear, you guys did that already. I just pointed it out more succinctly if not bluntly. If I was the site admin or moderator and saw all that which happened in that exact context, I'd ban the whole bunch of you guys involved. It wouldn't have been one person getting the boot.

Aug 11, 20 5:02 pm  · 
1  ·  2
SpontaneousCombustion

All of what which happened in what exact context? I don't recall anybody else being involved in your serial bannings. The first one a few years ago was because you plagiar-pasted a 5000-word homophobic rant in Thread Central. The more recent ones were because of your repeated racist and misogynistic posts. Nobody else caused you to post any of it, so why would more than one person get the boot?

Aug 11, 20 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I can't help but feel like we've been here before.

Aug 11, 20 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Girls, you're both pretty...

Aug 11, 20 9:16 pm  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

lol... atelier... that made me laugh. 

SneakyPete, if I recall correctly, the ban was because of a disagreement about the motives behind people involved with BLM protesters and disagreement about the white privilege (which doesn't exist anymore in the modern-day context.... which was really rich/wealthy person privileges). Add to it, I disagreed with the notion that only white people can be racist when a person of every ethnicity can do the exact same thing against a white person. I don't know about you but I have lived years of my life as an ethnic minority in a community before living where I live now.

Aug 11, 20 10:20 pm  · 
rcz1001

Just to be clear, I am not against people because of their skin color, ethnicity, or gender. I'll judge you on your own merits not your race or gender. The same for any of the moderators. Here's the beauty of anonymity, you are just an alias.... a pseudo-name not a race or gender unless you state it. Even then, it can all be bullshit.

Aug 11, 20 10:42 pm  · 
rcz1001

How are the above two posts racists or misogynistic?

Aug 11, 20 10:44 pm  · 
rcz1001

Am I biased? Yes. So are you and everyone. Bias does not equal to being racist or sexist. They can lead to but it does not mean it necessarily is. We all are victims of discrimination based on biases but there is nothing that can be done to end it completely. It is scientifically impossible because of our finite lifespan and we make decisions based on our own life experiences. Our minds record an abstract version of reality and the experiences of that reality. This abstraction is the basis of the biases and our experiences are recorded in that abstraction. However, we can mitigate it to some level but there will never be no bias at all. 

Aug 12, 20 12:19 am  · 
Non Sequitur

That is a very dumb way to look at things Ricky.

Aug 12, 20 6:17 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it's good

Aug 10, 20 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs...

Aug 11, 20 9:55 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

My dog's name is Finnegan.

Aug 11, 20 12:22 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Ironically he sleeps a lot.

Aug 11, 20 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Sure does.

Aug 12, 20 12:48 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

That's Sir Sleeps-a-lot with Baby Got Sleeping Bag!

Aug 12, 20 8:10 am  · 
1  · 
proto

“uxorious”

Aug 14, 20 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: