Archinect
anchor

Professional Portfolio

fredcruz86

Hello,

I'm redoing my portfolio but I'm struggling a bit.

I've have 3 years of experience and I'm trying to focus on learning construction so most of my work has been technical. Most of the renders are not mine and I'm tring to leave some academic work to show different types of work.

I started to participate in competitions recently and I already have a new project to include but I'm not sure where it fits.

I would really like some input if possible since I kept the same layout over these years and I never really got any feedback over the portfolio itself.

I leave you with link (the text it's in french sorry)

https://issuu.com/fredericomac...

Thank you.

Aug 7, 20 1:09 pm
Akira

Your portfolio definitely shows that you have experience, not sure on what you are trying to become but you should tailor your portfolio for the type of job you want. Not really constructive, but its a bit boring, in my opinion a portfolio should somewhat interest the viewer, your portfolio is  bland, dry and really nothing special. What you could do better is having bigger pictures of your renders and minimizing the size of the drawing as much as you can. I would also separate my CV and resume from my portfolio, usually employers ask for them separately. Also I would limit how many drawings I put on a page as you wouldn't want to overwhelm the viewer, and realistically employers that are viewing your portfolio are not going to read everything and will skim through it, so keep it short sweet and simple.

Aug 9, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
fredcruz86

​Reality check...I wasn't expecting such a harsh critic eheh...I mean I know it wasn't good but...well thank you for your honesty. Maybe the problem is that I'm still trying to decide what do I want, anyway... About the CV and resume, I normally send it separate besides having it inside the portfolio. About the portfolio, I know that renders sell but most of them are not made by me so I tried to focus on the design, plans, sections, details. Maybe I can show one or two projects with a picture and a detail instead of all the information. Even the

Aug 10, 20 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

do not, i repeat do not make your renders large at the expense of the actual drawings. rendering is a thoughtless production task, it isn't design, its communication--if that is what you want to do, be a junior staff member or do marketing, great. but your actual details, sections, plans are the real money makers and show that you can be assigned a complex set of tasks and resolve them elegantly in a legible set of drawings. "i was bored" is terrible criticism and honestly you want to avoid offices where people make hiring decisions based upon novel experiences and emotional reactions to work.  if someone rejects you because they are bored, fuck them, it'd probably be a terrible cultural fit and they're doing you a favor saying no

Aug 10, 20 11:45 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

I would agree with much of what Akira said. 

My one add is that I don't like the way you've shown off the details. For as detailed as they are, the organization is too dense, and the explanation is too light for my tastes. 

Aug 9, 20 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
fredcruz86

Edit:

Reality check...I wasn't expecting such a harsh critic eheh...I mean I know it wasn't good but...well thank you for your honesty. Maybe the problem is that I'm still trying to decide what do I want, anyway... 

About the CV and resume, I normally send it separate besides having it inside the portfolio. About the portfolio, I know that renders sell but most of them are not made by me so I tried to focus on the design, plans, sections, details. Maybe I can show less projects and just one image and a detail.

Aug 10, 20 8:35 am  · 
 · 
fredcruz86

Thank you for your reply....as I said in the other reply maybe I can show less projects and just one image and a detail for each project.

Most projects don't have concept diagrams and stuff like that so I don't have really have any WOW drawings. The details are main stuff I've been doing.

Can you explain better when you say "explanation is too light for my tastes"

You think it would be better if I have the materials written in the details?

Aug 10, 20 8:57 am  · 
 · 
lcanet

Ignore Akira. People like this are mostly intent on weeding people out of the profession instead of encouraging them to thrive. 

I would say it depends on what kind of job you're looking for. If you're looking for a technical job, the portfolio looks good - if you're looking for an artsy-fartsy company like Rafael Vignoly or something to work with assholes like Akira, you might have to splash it up, change the layout, make it look a bit more 'interesting'. Changing the layout a bit could do wonders, as these firms are often geared towards simplicity and minimalism, and don't care as much about the construction technique.  

If you're genuinely interested in a place where you do construction detailing, etc. - the portfolio might be fine. In fact, you could take out some images and they might ask to see more. 

Aug 10, 20 11:15 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: