Archinect
anchor

On Assignment #001

Was challenged by Mr. Miller (indirectly or just in my head) and after a 4-pack of good IPA and some googling I came up with this list.  Like literally 1 hour worth of searching, I often wonder what these knucklehead journalists do all day sometimes...

The list (posts thereafter of interesting finds).  My recommendation is you use NYC Public Library Online or Google Books and search the magazines Jet, Essence, Ebony, Encore, Afro-American Dawn Magazine, etc...

Starter List (using word Architect):

Cornelius Langston Henderson

Albert J. Cassell

Lewis Howard Latimer

Paul Revere Williams

Louis Edwin Fry, Sr

Leon Bridges

Phil Freelon

Cheryl Amisial

Jene Ballentine

Walter Blackburn

Wendell Campbell

James A. Chaffers

John S. Chase

Captain Rodney Coleman

George Hancard

Percy Ifill

Conrad Johnson

John w. Moutoussamy

Robert J. Nash, Jr.

Hilyard Robert Robinson

Donald P. Ryder

Roy Sealey

Vertner W. Tandy, Sr.

De Norval Unthank

James Whitley

William Whitley

Fred “The Hammer” Williamson

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting
to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is
the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.
" - Donald Rumsfeld

Just making stuff known.

Jul 3, 20 9:42 pm

I say listed under word "architect" for the following reasons, this book

black and white : Afro-Americans in print : a guide to Africans and Americans who have made contributions to the United States of America

published in 1976 lists  - Leon M. Jordan – Jet, July 30, 1970. P.4 as an architect. 

according to Wikipedia - never an Architect

I was born after 1976, how did one do word searches back then?

Jul 3, 20 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Wendell Campbell

Jul 3, 20 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

51. A loom house used by slaves at Prestwould Plantation, Macklenburg county, Virginia (Photograph by Willie Graham, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Williamsburg, Virginia

Jul 3, 20 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

If you don't know who Paul Revere Williams is, get the f' out of here...

"To be sincere in my work, I must design homes, not houses.  I must take into consideration each family’s mode of living, its present economic problems, and its probably economic future.” – Paul Revere Williams

"Good Architecture should reduce human tension by creating a restful environment and changing social patterns." - Paul Revere Williams

Get a copy!  $809 for a hard copy...ok free online version here

Jul 3, 20 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Fred “The Hammer” Williamson

Graduating in 1960 from Northwestern University with an architectural
engineering degree, Williamson worked as an architect during the
off-season for a decade while playing defensive back with the Pittsburgh
Steelers,

Following his retirement from football, Williamson decided that a career in architecture wasn't his calling

Ok, But where did he work in the off-season?

Jul 3, 20 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

spoke too soon, 2 minutes later, found it - Bechtel Steel Corporation   (finding what he worked on would be  a real challenge)

Jul 3, 20 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Vertner W. Tandy, Sr.

licence # - ...ok too old to find, I've superseded an old guy who passed had passed away, his number was 4000's earned in the 40's, I'm in the 30,000's so I'm guessing Vertner must have been within the first 3,000 registered architects NYS...give me 15 minutes (maybe I can find some real info)

Jul 3, 20 10:39 pm  · 
 · 

this might take a while, ha...Lic#: 000001, Date of Licensure : 12/01/1916 - WAID DAN EVERETT

Jul 3, 20 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

ok sample work in the meantime. In partnership with George Washington Foster (1866–1923) who was an early African-American architect. He was among the first African-American architects licensed by the State of New Jersey in 1908, and later New York (1916). 

think this puts Tandy probably within the first couple hundred lic#'s in NYS....The St Philip's Church at 204 W 134th Street.

Jul 3, 20 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

so not all the license numbers are listed in the NYS database, will have to find other means...

Jul 3, 20 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Out of beer, will leave you with this excerpt

LINK TO BOOK

Jul 3, 20 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: