Archinect
anchor

Headhunters!

atelier nobody

I almost always respond to headhunter emails with a quick "thanks for thinking of me, not looking right now."

Today, however, I got one that was such a complete mismatch that it was clear the guy had never looked at my resume and was just spamming everyone on his list. I don't think I'll grace it with a reply.

Jul 1, 20 2:39 pm
Bench

What's been going on with this lately? Seems like the HH's are in full force over the last couple weeks. Is that because there's legit job openings coming back, or does it have more to do with firms trying to plug holes with temp workers?

Jul 1, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Well now I'm curious.  What was he offering? 

Jul 1, 20 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Looking for a PM with commercial contracting experience in Ann Arbor.

Jul 1, 20 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Around here I think it's because principals and others who typically do the hiring and training are back in some offices now in person so they're opening back up searches that were on hold while everyone was away from the office.  The headhunters have been hurting, so they're clamoring all over each other for those openings. I can't even count how many different recruiters have called or emailed about the same multi-family residential management position in central PA (I'm not even in PA!)

Jul 1, 20 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

All very interesting....

Jul 1, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
CodesareFUN

I got one for a CAD drafter, and the only thing I could say is “what part of running over $100 million (construction costs) in projects makes you think I’d want to only be a drafter”?

Honestly I thought about it a little, would be less stress. 

Jul 1, 20 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Last time I spoke with a head hunter reaching out about a job (about a year and half ago when I was actually looking to make a move), they were calling about a job I was already interviewing for. When I found that out, I told them, and they tried to brush it off and say they had other clients I might be interested in if I wanted to consider other options. I asked for more details and they told me about two other openings; one I had known about and already dismissed as not for me, an the other was completely made up. I know it was made up because I spoke with a friend of mine at that firm, who was doing that work, and he said they weren't looking to hire anyone (and he was in a position to know). I lost any respect for them at this point because 1) they were willing to screw over one of their clients and push me to another client in order to get a commission when they found out I didn't need them and they wouldn't get their commission, and 2) they tried to make up a position in order to get a commission. Keep in mind that they probably would have been screwing me over as well. They would have had to sell me and the position to the other firm, a firm who wasn't really looking and would not have been that motivated to make me a decent offer.

Shortly thereafter, when I accepted an offer and was leaving my old job, the firm I was leaving hired a head hunter to find my replacement. That head hunter unknowingly reached out to me to see if I was "interested in a job opportunity to work for an exciting company," or something like that. The opportunity with the exciting company was the job I was leaving. He was just spamming anyone he could find on LinkedIn.

My unsolicited advice, never trust a head hunter. Take anything they tell you with extreme skepticism.

Jul 2, 20 2:51 pm  · 
2  · 
robhaw

Many top firms in my city have the following disclaimer on their website: 'No agencies please'. That should tell you something.

Jul 2, 20 3:56 pm  · 
1  · 
BulgarBlogger

Headhunters are assholes. They don’t know anything about anything. 

Jul 5, 20 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

None of the jobs I have ever had were because of headhunters. Who uses these people anyway?

Jul 5, 20 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

big firms looking for senior roles with very specific experience or skills, mostly. those jobs target people who aren't really browsing the possibilities but might make a switch for an obviously better offer. for general mid level positions i'd definitely wonder why a firm had trouble filling roles through
networking or online listings.

Jul 6, 20 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'd say 3 out of every 4 headhunter hit I get through linkedin are from large A&E firms. They have a hard time finding licensed folks.

Jul 6, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 

I 'used' a headhunter a bit after the 08 recession. It was an odd experience. When interviewing with the firm the headhunter represented we discussed salary and benefits. I made a few requests of the employers - nothing huge, asked about flex time, work hours, ect. The head hunter called me all freaked out because I was supposed to use her to discuss these things with the employer and the employer was concerned that I asked such things. I dropped the headhunter and the potential firm.

Jul 6, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: