Archinect
anchor

upper floors in Commercial Real Estate occupancy?

Word on the street is that many upper floors requiring a long elevator commute will not be occupied again for a long while, or at least not any real capacity.  Many are even purchasing townhouses or occupying 1-3 story suburban commercial offices now instead.  Some are confirmed to work from home until 2021 (like lawyers, etc...).

Anyone else witnessing this? Any theories on what 30th floors at say the Seagrams Building could turn into?

Jun 24, 20 9:33 am

I assume you're talking only about New York City or are you hearing about this in all highrise office buildings?

Jun 24, 20 9:51 am  · 
 · 

yes.

Jun 24, 20 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

self-storage?

Jun 24, 20 9:59 am  · 
1  · 

how does that look?

· 
tduds

Jun 24, 20 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

only needs this carpet

Jun 24, 20 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

The shining?

Jun 24, 20 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

brilliant...and or Poltergeist -

Happyotter: POLTERGEIST III (1988)

Jun 24, 20 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

/\ which was filmed in the Hancock Building

Jun 24, 20 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Never even seen that one, seems scary...have to now, just for the Hancock Building.

Jun 25, 20 4:08 am  · 
 · 
randomised

They'll become "wutever clubs" indoor combi of on- and offline go-kart racing tracks, everybody in full gear and helmets so no contamination risk. Like this one in China, on the top floor of a shopping mall:

http://www.jeffreyzee.com/en/p...

Jun 24, 20 10:23 am  · 
1  · 

I like that idea. Maybe throw in some paintball or foam archery tag!

Jun 24, 20 10:29 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Never heard of foam archery tag, sounds interestingly medieval.

Jun 24, 20 10:56 am  · 
 · 

I've never done it, just seen stuff online. Basically everyone has like 20 pound recurve bows with 'arrow's that have big foam rubber balls for tips. I imagine there is a lot of people getting string slap on their bow arm. ;)

Jun 24, 20 11:07 am  · 
 · 

constant leisure - is the future.

· 
atelier nobody

"I imagine there is a lot of people getting string slap on their bow arm. ;)"

Chad, you underestimate nerds - there's a whole market for fantasy/steampunk/medieval(ish) forearm guards.

Jun 24, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've done the archery tag thing... organized a 40 person bachelor party around it. It's great fun and one helluva workout. I decided to forgoe the forearm guard and played in a t-shirt. My entire left arm was solid black from the string slaps.

Jun 24, 20 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

constant leisure - reminded me of Wall-E

Jun 24, 20 5:01 pm  · 
1  · 

aterlier - NS proves my point. 8-). I really want to do the archery tag thing but with my 60 pound recurve. ::evil laughter::

Jun 24, 20 5:27 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
Depends on your definition of ‘a long while’

They’ll be occupied again, eventually

Capitalism has a very short memory
Jun 25, 20 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

WeWork with theme parks?

Jun 25, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Don’t think wework is going to be doing much of anything, aside from unloading the few physical assets they accumulated toward the end, promptly followed with a bankruptcy filing. Perhaps they can donate the various leftover snacks and communal office acctrouments to the theme park effort.
Jun 26, 20 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

Jun 26, 20 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

these are more like underground games

Jun 26, 20 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

There's speculation that we won't see "normal" until 2024.

Jun 26, 20 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

well if that's the case beta, it's on like donkey kong

Jun 26, 20 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: