Archinect
anchor

Trying to understand a career path after working for a energy consultancy firm

Eva star

Hi,

I am a B.arch with one year experience.I have worked with architectural firm as part time and designed parametric space frames on grasshopper. And as a full time i work as a research Assistant for a energy consultancy firm , and during this period i have been able to sharpen my skills in ladybug tools and i am beginner at OpenFOAM CFD tool.

After working in these two environment I realized I am hung in between being a designer and a energy consultant.

Hence i have a few questions like, how can i integrate the two job roles into one, where i can design as well as do energy simulations and CFD analysis? Also , should i pursue a masters? or should i work and gain more experience?

Thankyou!

Jun 24, 20 12:41 pm
thisisnotmyname

Your desired position sounds like the in-house sustainability people I used to work with at several architecture firms.   With regards to a masters, my answer would be: Maybe, if you can afford it without taking on major debt.  I say that because, of the in-house people I worked with at the firm, the guy with the PhD and multiple masters degree was a mouthy charlatan while the guy with only a B.Arch and a lot of work experience was actually knowledgeable.

Jun 24, 20 1:10 pm  · 
1  ·  1
natematt

Sounds like you either need to get into a firm that is very sustainability focused, or one that is large enough to have dedicated staff to sustainability, but would also let you work on projects.... or the inverse, a firm that will also let you also work on their sustainability initiatives. 

Much of the ladybug done in our office is by the designers who are doing work out of grashopper. We don't typically do CFD though, usually we leave that to the engineers or specialty consultants. 

Jun 24, 20 3:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Eva star

Thank you for your valuable input, sounds like i should continue without masters for now. Could you also suggest some the firms with sustainability goals? Which would accept my kind of work experience?

Thank you.

Jun 25, 20 2:06 am  · 
1  · 
TED

Think the best global practices are Arup and Happold. You could also look for EngD (engineering doctorates) sponsored by the practice so you do your students both within the University and within the practice.

Jun 25, 20 2:58 am  · 
1  · 
Eva star

l

Jun 25, 20 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Eva star

Thank you for the suggestions, i have registered myself with them, awaiting vacancy.

Jun 26, 20 2:21 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

Depends on the work experience you are getting and also on the type of the degree. If you want to be predominantly an architect, I would suggest working at multidisciplinary firms that practise integrated design and market yourself accordingly.

If you are after a pure B. Performance role, the advice I would give is to develop domain knowledge in addition to software knowledge. Otherwise, you will be someone who executes (equivalent to a BIM technician who doesn't understand construction) rather than someone who leads the process with an informed understanding. This is something we were taught by our BPA lecturers.

If you wish to stay at work, I would suggest a part-time postgraduate course like this one at UCL. If money is an issue, opt for the PG diploma rather than the MSc and try to get your employer to sponsor you.

Jun 25, 20 6:38 am  · 
1  · 
Eva star

Thank you for these wonderful responses, they have  given a clearer thought process. I do wish to design and integrate sustainable and dynamic forms too, could you also suggest which master's program should i opt for?

Jun 26, 20 2:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: