Archinect
anchor

Impressions of Stuttgart

Arch.Lu

Hi people, I recently got accepted at Uni Stuttgart, impressions of the city, recomendations before travel?

Jun 23, 20 11:36 am
chris-chitect

I've been to Stuttgart several times, and lived about a hour or so away when I was a small child. For an industrial city full of car factories, it's actually pretty nice. 

Architecturally there's a fair amount going on, typically in big infrastructure as well as everything car related. The Mercedes and Porsche museum are worth a visit, and the city has a huge new (and controversial) train station being built underneath the old one. As a result much of the rail will be underground freeing up land above for new development.

The Weissenhof Siedlung is just up the hill above the city and can be easily checked out. 

Stuttgart has a lot of money so you see plenty of high end homes in the surrounding hills. 

The city has a few challenges including poor air quality (by German standards) and often unbearably hot temperatures in a country that doesn't believe in air conditioning. 

Jun 23, 20 3:41 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Be careful out there: 

"‘Migrant’ looters ransack shops and attack cops and paramedics during worst riots in Stuttgart’s history

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/...

Jun 23, 20 3:47 pm  · 
TED

Really? the Sun?

Jun 24, 20 3:48 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Really :-(

And here's the Daily Mail:

"Looters chant 'Allahu Akbar' during Stuttgart's worst ever riots that turned the city into 'a battlefield' - as police reveal those involved were 'mainly young people with a migration background'" 

Jun 24, 20 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
TED
Spent about a week there for Fabricate conference-loved the city, uni and people- very walkable- Achim M is an amazing tutor- you will enjoy!
Jun 24, 20 2:05 am  · 
1  · 
Arch.Lu

Nice, I will be arriving to Frankfurt first then Stuttgart, seems like a good idea to buy a bike also :)

Jun 24, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Mercedes Benz museum is probably the best building I’ve walked through. Don’t bother with the Porche one. Food is great, beer is amazing, women are beautiful. Overall I had a great time there. Don’t know anything about the school.

Jun 24, 20 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: